RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fuel Water Sensor Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Fuel Water Sensor Replacement

Came back from Wales last night, through centre of London, went over a pot-hole and started smelling diesel. Worked out it was me and pulled over/called AA. Turns out the the Fuel Water Sensor had been over-tightened into the filter and the jar of the pot-hole had pulled the plastic thread apart Big Cry

AA man super-glued it back together and re-fitted it along with some sealant and its got me home fine. Question is - is this something that I can simply/quickly do myself without getting completely covered in diesel? If so, what sort of tightness should the thread be so as a) it doesn't leak and b) won't over tighten the thread and have it happen again.

Filter is new so am hoping the sealant used won't make it u/s when I get the new sensor.

Post #544527 Mon Jan 01 2018 6:17pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Credit where it's due - that AA guy diagnosed the problem and then presumably laid under the car in the cold and wet with diesel dripping on his head to fix it Bow down

If you have the later type fuel filter then the sensor looks like this:

If it is just the yellow threaded bit that stripped your filter should be fine. When refitting mine after a filter change I've just done it up finger tight and then one more 'flat' with an open ended spanner.

Easy enough to do yourself if you can jack up the driver's side a bit but you'll get some diesel spill. Not much fun in this weather. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #544528 Mon Jan 01 2018 7:20pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Got a replacement at a good price from Dan@Duckworths and popped it round my local back street MOT station. Up on the ramp, bolts/covers off, filter out, sensor swapped, all back together - 7 minutes Thumbs Up

I was so chuffed that I took the car off to the Eastern European car wash for its first inside/outside clean in 3 years - got my money's worth after all the off-roading & mucking around in fields Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post #544970 Sat Jan 06 2018 6:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1