RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Jump start pack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

syl

United Kingdom 
Jump start pack

I used to have a jump start pack, but the battery on it died a few years ago. It was a pretty weedy affair anyway and probably wouldn't have started the Range Rover, but it was OK on my motorbike. My mother-in-law has been ill and hasn't used her car for a month or more - when I tried it yesterday the battery is now dead. I thought it might be handy to get a new jump starter, and see that there are lots of mini-packs now based on Lithium technology. If I'm getting one, I might as well get one that could start my car too, just in case. Lots of brands, seem to change rapidly on amazon and there are mixed reviews. Anyone have a personal recommendation? RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #543979 Sun Dec 24 2017 10:39am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I bought one last year from Machine Mart - they do online as well as in store sales. This is bigger than necessary but I bought it for my Defender https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/jump-start-4000/. It isn’t a lightweight piece of kit but it hasn’t failed to jumpstart numerous vans and cars belonging to neighbours and friends.

Not sure if this smaller one has the uuumph to jump an RRS https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cli...tportable/ 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #543982 Sun Dec 24 2017 10:45am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rich

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I've got the Machine Mart 4000 as well. Had it for about three years. Used it to start RangeRover, tractors and narrowboat.

Post #543989 Sun Dec 24 2017 1:55pm
ravingmad

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

+1 for the 4000.
Had mine for about a year, not had to use on the sport but used plenty of times on Merc vans, quad bike and garden tractors.
I keep it on charge in the garage, good bit of kit but heavy. MY13.5 Autobiography, Santorini Black, Privacy Glass. Gone
Driving a milk float for now.

Post #544012 Sun Dec 24 2017 8:27pm
adameverett

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I was looking at a jump starter in the new year, was looking into the noco genius GB70 £180

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOCO-GB70-ULTRA...SwevdaPA6~

looks amazing for a small hand held package that you can keep in the glove box. I think I remember another forum member posting about these little devices.

Post #544033 Mon Dec 25 2017 8:45am
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

Thanks Adam,

I bought CTEK MXS10 to keep my battery conditioned as I only do short journeys and I've been worrying as the LED on the comfort connector (direct lead to battery) is flashing red, indicating battery is low. This is despite the battery being less than 1 year old and car used regularly.
Anyway, with this recent cold weather I've been worrying that it might affect the battery when starting especially if left for a few days so I was looking at a jump starter pack.

How things have changed since i last owned one!

I've researched the NOCO GB70 based on your post and am really impressed so I put an order in for one tonight and it will be with me on Saturday.

I will definitely sleep better at nights now!!

Thanks 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #544289 Thu Dec 28 2017 11:28pm
adameverett

Hi Scrumpy
You have beaten me to it! I was going to have a look around in the jan sales for a unit and test out its performance and claims. Their sales gumf on their site says it starts diesels up to 3ltr which seems impressive for such a little unit.
You will have to report back on your findings Thumbs Up

Post #544292 Thu Dec 28 2017 11:46pm
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

Hi Adam,

The one you added the link for, which is the one I am getting says it starts diesels up to 6 litres not 3!!!
Mines a 4.2L petrol and it states it will jump petrol engines up to 8L.
I've watched loads of YouTube vids on it and it really does look good.

Will let you know how I get on, although I'm hoping i won't need it!! 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #544305 Fri Dec 29 2017 11:54am
NJB1

I'm also looking for a booster pack and that NOBCO does read well. Would be interested in any real life experience of them ?
The Machine Mart ones are very good but anything less bulky would be advantageous.

Post #544410 Sat Dec 30 2017 9:00pm
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

Well my NOCO GB70 arrived today and it's currently on charge (comes about 50% charged with a label marked "important, be sure to fully charge before use").
First impressions are it seems a really well made piece of kit with a reassuringly heavy duty feel about it, despite it being about the size of a brick (small compared to the jump start packs of old).
It's been on charge (through USB) for 6 hours and has gone from between 25% and 50% (when it arrived) to now at over 75% and is now in it's final stages of charge.
Apparently it charges much quicker if charging from the car cigarette socket rather than USB.
It comes with a USB lead together with a reversible lead for either input or output using both male and female cigarette lighter sockets so you can plug in your car accessories and also a USB output to charge your phone etc.
It also has a really, really bright LED light that can flash in about 7 different ways or use it as a torch.
I'm hoping i won't need it to do what it's designed to do for a while so my main interest is how long and how well it holds a charge as the old bulky lead acid jump packs would dissipate pretty quickly.
So, assuming i don't need it to actually start the car I'll report back in a few months with how much battery power is left.
Definitely feels like a good buy though and I feel much more confident knowing I'm carrying this around!
Happy new year everyone!

Click image to enlarge
 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue

Post #544420 Sat Dec 30 2017 11:16pm
adameverett

Hi scrumpy
Looks pretty decent bit of kit Cool , the charge on cigarette lighter looks the way to go. Not bad if you can hook up phones/tablets and stuff, I can see that being really useful on camping trips out in the field. I have a boat, inshore I am not worried about battery, but have been caught out at the coast before when you switch off and come to restart and just got a click click click (charge system failed). Carrying a spare battery is a bulky heavy item this looks perfect. I will be ordering mine in Jan and tempted to replace the battery on the sport with an old spare and run the power down on it and test out the cold cranking capability.

Post #544429 Sun Dec 31 2017 9:03am
NJB1

Is eBay the best source or has anyone found them cheaper elsewhere ?

Post #544432 Sun Dec 31 2017 9:41am
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

I got mine on Amazon, it was £5 cheaper then ebay and i also prefer Amazon's return/warranty policy and with Prime it was next day free delivery. 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue

Post #544436 Sun Dec 31 2017 10:48am
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

Just an update on the NOCO GB70.
I had it fully charged and sitting in the car in freezing cold for 1 week.

My neighbour tonight couldn't start his 6.3L Mercedes as it had been sat for a month and wouldn't turn over. He already had a NOCO GB30 which wasn't up to the job.

Grabbed my NOCO GB70 and first attempt started his car!

If it can start his 6.3L Merc then I'm now pretty confident it will start my 4.2L SC.

Happy days 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue

Post #545005 Sun Jan 07 2018 12:09am
adameverett

6.3 That's impressive, I had doubts on how much juice the wires could feed through. I had some cheapish jump leads that just could not pass enough juice down the wire on my sport, so was sceptical about the noco. Thanks for the update, sure going to be on my list now Thumbs Up And the other benefit you get to be super hero on the street for the day Smile

Post #545020 Sun Jan 07 2018 9:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>