RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > MY18 Brake Sizes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

jonathana13

United Kingdom 
MY18 Brake Sizes?

Hi,

New to the forum here, about to place an order on a MY18 RRS to replace my Discovery Sport.

When looking at the brochures I noticed that the Brakes on the SDV6 MY18 are smaller than the < MY17 does anyone have any thoughts on if that will make a noticeable difference? I assume there must be method in the maddness but hoping it's not one of cutting corners... One of the things I have enjoyed when test driving the RRS is how much more feel and bite the brakes have compared to the Discovery Sport.

MY18

Click image to enlarge

MY17

Click image to enlarge

Thanks,

Jonathan

Post #543928 Sat Dec 23 2017 1:53pm
ChunkRRS

Scotland 

I'm afraid it's one of those cost cutting exercises that happen when the accountants want to squeeze margins. The 18 MY SDV6 discs are smaller and also the new car will use smaller (and much cheaper) calipers too.

I'm sure they will still be adequate for the majority of RRS owners as they will not know the difference between a disc and a caliper however it has annoyed me just a bit.

My current MY17 AB has the big brakes and brembo calipers so I'm downgrading that so to speak. Only saving grace for me is the velar 22 inch wheels I have specced hide the brakes more that my current rims.

Post #543944 Sat Dec 23 2017 4:47pm
jonathana13

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that, it’s miffed me a bit to! One of the things I have enjoyed when test driving is the feel of the brakes...

I wouldn’t mind paying for it if it was an option either.

Post #543947 Sat Dec 23 2017 4:54pm
ChunkRRS

Scotland 

I agree RE paying for it as an option, real shame you couldn't do it.

I didn't want to pay for the SDV8 just to get the brakes though 😂

Post #543953 Sat Dec 23 2017 7:23pm
jonathana13

United Kingdom 

Thats exactly my issue, the SDV8 is such a jump up in price and a drop in fuel economy...

I am hoping it's nothing to worry about, I can live with them not looking as good as the MY17 options but concerned if the progressive feel is lost.

Hopefully can get a test drive soon and if it's dire reconsider SDV8...

PhEV gets the big ones too but isn't an option for me as the MPG once the battery is out looks shocking.

Post #543954 Sat Dec 23 2017 7:27pm
ChunkRRS

Scotland 

Having not driven one I'm also just keen to have brakes that feel as good as the current car

Post #543957 Sat Dec 23 2017 7:44pm
jonathana13

United Kingdom 

Has been indicated by my local dealer (strastone Stockton) January for demo vehicles, they have the showroom model in with a cloth over it, was tempted to slip over and pull it off!

Issue for me is I want to get my order placed but if the brakes end up a deal breaker on the test drive want to be able to switch to the SDV8 and I hear that the orders are getting locked down quite quickly at the moment.

Off topic I know but what spec have you gone for?

Post #543958 Sat Dec 23 2017 7:49pm
Leecccmk1

England 

I’m angry about this,I don’t understand why it still cannot be a option for those that want it,I’ve got my new one coming with 22” wheels & I think it’s going to look crap with the standard calipers, my current rrs looks great with the brembo’s

Post #543959 Sat Dec 23 2017 8:04pm
ChunkRRS

Scotland 

I've gone for an SDV6 autobiography

Corris grey
22 velar type wheels (more enclosed spokes so you can't see the lack of big brakes!)
Privacy glass
Rear seat entertainment
Centre console fridge
Activity key
Tan/black interior/black suede headliner
Full size spare
DVD/cd player (standard car doesn't come with one now)

Think that's the lot.......

Post #543960 Sat Dec 23 2017 8:33pm
IRBails

Australia 

I have the SDV 8 with the big brakes and have had endless issues because the brakes are designed for aggressive use which we don't get on the open dirt roads here in Australia. I think smaller for most will not be all that bad in normal driving conditions. I have fitted Red stuff Pads which have made a huge difference but still get pulsing from the remnants of the OME pads that bed into the rotors. For interest the smaller front rotors are only 4 mm smaller Radius than my old R50 Touareg fronts and the Touareg R50 was a heavier vehicle so I think the brakes although smaller will still be more than adequate. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #543963 Sat Dec 23 2017 10:07pm
jonathana13

United Kingdom 

A nice spec, quite similar to what I am looking at. When’s your delivery date?

Been doing some more research and sadly it’s not helping, working in a few assumptions (brochure only lists the sizes) looks like they could be the same brakes as the F-pace / Velar. These are a sliding calliper rather than a fixed multi piston design. General consensus seams to be they stop just fine but some people are reporting they don’t feel great. Again, that’s my major worry, one of my biggest disappointements with the discovery sport is the lack of feedback the car gives the rrs felt so much more engaging to drive. On my disco the brakes have nothing, nothing, nothing then through the windscreen.

The SDV8 would be a real stretch for me even without factoring the extra fuel costs but may have to wait a bit and see how it pans out over the next few months...

Dealer didn’t have anything other than “I dont imagine they have made it worse than it was” but unless someone can give something more concrete not sure what to do.

Post #543966 Sun Dec 24 2017 1:19am
IRBails

Australia 

On the fuel of the SDV8 personally I think it is excellent, I get down to 8.3/100 on trips and around town runs low 10's. Mind you Diesel is a little better priced in Australia. But in reality I think all the standard extras you get with the V8 make up for the price, locking diffs, Dynamic control , higher sound system specs and so on. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #543968 Sun Dec 24 2017 2:18am
jonathana13

United Kingdom 

Do you happen to know how that compares to the SDV6 in real world fuel economy? Based on the book figures looks like there will be a noticeable difference between the two. The SDV6 seams to have more than enough power for me (have avoided driving the SDV8 to minimise the temptation...)

In the UK spec looks incredibly close at autobiography trim level, until yesterday only difffences I could see was the SDV8 has the configurable dynamics, now seams to be the better brakes too. Still not a massive improvement for nearly £10,000 base cost or £5,000 extra deposit and £50 a month more on a PCP.

Post #543971 Sun Dec 24 2017 8:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1