RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Snow Driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

caporajm

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange
Snow Driving

Well.. it's starting to snow now up here and get icy. Driving home from work I was in normal mode and needless to say, it was the worst experience in a 4 wheel drive car. I was sliding all over and the ABS would kick in right when I hit the breaks... BUT, then I got smart and switched it to snow mode and WOW! The changes that were made is amazing. It changed the way the car reacted to everything. It not only started in 2nd gear, but the ABS didn't kick in and the car handled like a dream. This is by far the best 4 wheel drive car I've driven. RRS S/C Special Edition, Vesuvius

Post #5331 Thu Nov 17 2005 10:11am
Biggles

England 

carporajm,
-2 on the way into work this morning. But what a lovely crisp clear day.
No snow yet but the pedictions are we are going to have a severe winter (the forecasters always get it wrong). Rolling Eyes Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #5335 Thu Nov 17 2005 10:36am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Very Happy

Bring it on

" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #5336 Thu Nov 17 2005 11:08am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Caporajm........................ you now need to get yourself some very strong recovery ropes and a couple of decent shackles so you can be a Good Samaritan to all those X5 and Cayenne drivers that you encounter who are stuck in the snow in their "Super SUVs" whose tyres are totally unsuitable for snow conditions and don't have the wonderful Terrain Responce. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Useless Fact to remember when in the company of Porsche Cayanne, X5 and ML owners................. only one car has ever been allowed to high speed test on the Nurburgring in the winter with deep snow and icing on the track.................................................................................................... yep you guessed it, the RRS! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #5338 Thu Nov 17 2005 11:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

There are parts of the 'ring that are challenging enough in the dry in the middle of summer, I can't imagine how mental you would have to be to want to charge around it in an RRS (or any car) in the thick of winter!! Rolling Eyes Might be good fun though, once you've taken the requisite amount of Valium! Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #5346 Thu Nov 17 2005 2:28pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

There are some things that can still make you proud to be BRITISH!

Landrover have done good. Laughing L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #5353 Thu Nov 17 2005 3:39pm
Andrew

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Firenze Red

if you start getting lots of wheelspin in the snow and ice the DSC will cut engine power, so overide manually and have full power for glorious power slides......

Post #5365 Thu Nov 17 2005 4:37pm
Tim in Scotland

Andrew wrote:
if you start getting lots of wheelspin in the snow and ice the DSC will cut engine power, so overide manually and have full power for glorious power slides......

see page 203 of the owners' manual for more info about de- and -re-selecting DSC in snow.................... there is also a section about using snow chains on page 259.

We had a heavy frost here last night, 33m above sea level and well inland, inside my greenhouse it dropped to -8C and at 4pm the car still has a heavy coat of rime on it.

Delight of delights I found that the door seals were not frozen onto the car's body like they used to with my L322 Rangie - my Sport has to sit outside in all weathers as I cannot get it between the garage door pillars by about 2mm on each side even with the mirrors folded in. Thank goodness for seat heaters - but LR why could I not have the remote control diesel powered heater on my Sport like I had on my Rangie and Freelander? That was a brilliant piece of kit for frosty mornings - go to dining room window, aim R/C at car and watch for the tiny plume of exhaust coming out of the front wheelarch exhaust pipe and heypresto 10 minutes later I had a toasty warm car with frost free windows to get into and instant hot air from the vents on start up. I think that the R/C heater isn't even on the options list for the Sport 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #5367 Thu Nov 17 2005 4:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

We didn't quite get down that far, but came home at around 10 last night and the temp showed 0deg. Goodbye summer, hello winter.

I think they've dropped the ball over the remote control heater on the RRS. How can they provide it (even when it's an option) on all the other models and completely miss it out on their newest addition to the LR portfolio. I wonder if there's some technical reason why they can't install it?

Also, I'm sure I've seen it written somewhere that it did exist on the RRS. Obviously it doesn't as there's no mention of it in the handbook at all, but even so... maybe it was one of those things that was planned for inclusion at some stage and never really made it. 

Post #5368 Thu Nov 17 2005 5:38pm
RRUK

I seem to have picked yet another car where snow chains are not made by the manufacturer for the size of wheels I have.

Isn't it the law to have suitable chains if you drive in certain European countries in the winter?

Anyyway, who needs snow chains when you have Terrain response. L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #5373 Thu Nov 17 2005 5:47pm
Tim in Scotland

It was standard fit on the BMW diesel engined cars as they needed it to get round the emissions regs for cold starting. If you opted for the full monty system then all you got was the timer and remote control system connected up as all the rest was already fitted. When the air temperature dropped below 5C and you turned the key to position 2 in the ignition the heater would start anyway - cause more than this owner to phone the dealer the first time they saw smoke coming from the tiny exhaust in the front grille of a Freelander, on the RR LR hid the exhaust more carefully so as not to alarm owners experiencing it for the first time! LR dropped the system from the spec for a couple of years and then started to fit them again 2 years ago on Freelanders.
I imagine that it is part of the Arctic Winter Weather Pack Wink on Scandinavian and Canadian market cars! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #5374 Thu Nov 17 2005 5:52pm
RRUK

Simple solution...gloves for the first 3 minutes driving.

I have to say I think it gets warm PDQ. By the time I have left my village I am getting toasted bum from the seats anyway.

I DO miss the heated steering wheel feature though, despite having never had it... Confused L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Last edited by RRUK on Fri Nov 18 2005 12:19am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #5386 Thu Nov 17 2005 7:21pm
Tim in Scotland

There's another option that is missing from the Sport..... a heated steering wheel! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #5388 Thu Nov 17 2005 7:30pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Yep, I missed that sorely this morning.... -4 as I left home. But the heated seats came into their own. I normally find them too hot, but glad of them today. 

Post #5412 Fri Nov 18 2005 2:48pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

I can get these pre-heaters fitted afterwards. I did have the website of the manufacturer bookmarked, but I now can't find it. I was considering putting one on my VW T5 van last winter....but then Spring came and I then forgot about it. I'll see if I can find the site again. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #5438 Fri Nov 18 2005 8:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1