RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Who does the parkrun?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Who does the parkrun?

I'm sure there must be quite a few of us hauling ourselves out of bed to run around the local park for 5 kilometres in company with 450 others at 9.00 a.m. on Saturday mornings.

Identify yourselves with pride here. Post your latest and PB times if you dare! 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #541339 Sun Nov 19 2017 2:22pm
GodivaNige

England 

Most weeks when work allows, at either Leamington or Coventry. 21.25 PB
Yesterday 23.44 (a few beers consumed Friday evening after a long day covering a very boring conference, great excuse huh?)

Post #541343 Sun Nov 19 2017 2:37pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Not around a park but I go running 2-3 days a week along the river close to work. Office to Westminster Bridge mostly along the north bank, then cross over to the south bank, London Eye to Blackfriars Bridge, cross back to the north side and then back to the office. The loop is around 5.3k, taking in some of the best London landmarks (and exhaust fumes). Sorry, not Saturday/Sunday mornings though ... those are reserved for strength training at the gym.

Looking at the above times, I am too ashamed to share my PB Embarassed In my defence, I only started outdoor running earlier this year. Concrete pavement is a completely different thing compared to treadmill that I was used to... Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #541367 Sun Nov 19 2017 6:08pm
GodivaNige

England 

Doesn’t matter if your 5K PB is 20 minutes or 40 minutes or more, you’re getting out and pounding the streets which is the main thing.
I’m more a trail/fell running fan but train on the roads or on my treadmill usually around 40 miles a week. I do Parkrun to accompany the wife as she’s a new runner so it’s moral support for her.
Doing my first 50k ultra next June in the Lakes, plus a couple of halves in the spring to help train for it. Quite apprehensive about it.

Post #541369 Sun Nov 19 2017 6:16pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

OK my PB is 27:38 for 5k including a bit of slowing down/stopping for tourists/traffic lights etc. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #541375 Sun Nov 19 2017 6:36pm
GodivaNige

England 

Nothing wrong with that, do you enter any events? Great for motivation
10K’s are a really good distance to start doing events

Post #541383 Sun Nov 19 2017 7:12pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Too scared to do 10k yet Laughing I did a 5.6k event in July. My first and only so far but plan to do more going forward. I have to build up very slowly as after I started this year, I ended up with injury (ITBS) due to bad technique, not doing enough (and correct) stretches and weakness in certain muscles. Didn't give up though and carried on while taking advice from physio. Touch wood, my problems have not returned since I started managing my regime and strength training properly. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #541384 Sun Nov 19 2017 7:24pm
GodivaNige

England 

Injuries when starting out are very common, you recovered and got back into it which is the main thing, many don’t.
Shoes are equally important along with technique and I’d always say to anyone starting out, have a gait analysis done and buy the best shoes you can afford. Keep a log of the mileage you do in them, bin them at 400 miles.

Have a think about entering a 10K, even if it’s few months in the future, it’ll give you something to train for.
runnersworld.co.uk has a very good event diary.

Post #541387 Sun Nov 19 2017 7:34pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hate running, always have done (except for a stint in the Army where it was compulsory) but happy to cycle to work every day instead, which means Saturday mornings is for lie-ins with the Mrs Whistle

Post #541390 Sun Nov 19 2017 7:46pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Who has time for a lie-in anyway when you have to take 2 kids to swimming lessons very early Saturday morning and one of them for another class even earlier on Sunday morning? Big Cry Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #541396 Sun Nov 19 2017 8:35pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

fkarim wrote:
Not around a park but I go running 2-3 days a week along the river close to work. Office to Westminster Bridge mostly along the north bank, then cross over to the south bank, London Eye to Blackfriars Bridge, cross back to the north side and then back to the office. The loop is around 5.3k, taking in some of the best London landmarks (and exhaust fumes). Sorry, not Saturday/Sunday mornings though ... those are reserved for strength training at the gym.

Looking at the above times, I am too ashamed to share my PB Embarassed In my defence, I only started outdoor running earlier this year. Concrete pavement is a completely different thing compared to treadmill that I was used to...

I don't do park runs but am a regular runner. I used to enter 10k races as a motivation to keep getting out there but from July 2012 to July 2015 I managed to get through 3 major heart attacks (and a number of minor ones) and 5 heart ops! Each time I have turned to running to get my fitness back but the last op was a double heart bypass and it took 2 years to work up to 10k.

My early morning runs are a very similar route to fkarim's. I start from near St Katherine Dock and run either to the Millennium or Blackfriars Bridges along the North Bank then back along the South Bank, over Tower Bridge and home. I run early in the morning - sometimes heading out around 5:15am and London is unbelievably quiet and peaceful at that time!

I have been increasing my distances over the last few months though as I have a place in the London Marathon! Managed 9 miles along the river last Saturday morning. Just another 17 to go!

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #543720 Tue Dec 19 2017 4:24pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Pufftmw wrote:
Hate running, always have done (except for a stint in the Army where it was compulsory) but happy to cycle to work every day instead, which means Saturday mornings is for lie-ins with the Mrs Whistle

Laughing Thumbs Up Steve.

Post #543721 Tue Dec 19 2017 4:39pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Violetpiano wrote:
I don't do park runs but am a regular runner. I used to enter 10k races as a motivation to keep getting out there but from July 2012 to July 2015 I managed to get through 3 major heart attacks (and a number of minor ones) and 5 heart ops! Each time I have turned to running to get my fitness back but the last op was a double heart bypass and it took 2 years to work up to 10k.

Just shows things like this can happen to the fittest too. If I was in your position, I would have probably struggled to get back into it, wondering what’s the point if even the best form of cardio (IMHO) can’t protect you against heart trouble. Hats off Bow down

Violetpiano wrote:
I run early in the morning - sometimes heading out around 5:15am and London is unbelievably quiet and peaceful at that time!

No chance of bumping into you then at that time Laughing Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #543739 Tue Dec 19 2017 8:02pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I did my first “snow run” few days ago - had always wanted to (probably just to tick a box). Normally I don’t run on weekends as I go to the gym. However, taking my daughter to her Sunday class took absolute ages due to unprepared cars and buses stuck and blocking the roads Rolling Eyes I realised I wouldn’t have time left for gym after dropping her back home afterwards so instead of waiting in the car as usual, I decided to go for a run. Was dressed for the gym so that helped the decision.

I had to take my glasses off after a little while as they kept catching snowflakes and I couldn’t see much Laughing I was wearing normal breathable trainers which were getting half buried in settled snow with every step. Didn’t feel anything during the run but when cooling down later, I genuinely feared for my wet, freezing feet. Never appreciated the footwell aircon vents in my car as much as I did that day!

With hindsight, pretty stupid thing to do without suitable gear Embarassed Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #543740 Tue Dec 19 2017 8:42pm
syl

United Kingdom 

I always fancied it. Just never early on Saturday morning, when it strikes me that I could put it off to next week and spend a bit longer in bed. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #543741 Tue Dec 19 2017 8:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>