RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Timed climate never works
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Willywilson1980

United Kingdom 
Timed climate never works

Hi all I have 2012 MY RRS with timed / remote climate fitted by bodsy about 2 yrs ago. It almost never works with error message of 'insufficient battery / fuel'. I know there's min temp parameters etc but it's always been cold enough that the timed climate should come on.

The cars had new battery and always serviced by LR (most recently in September '17 ). In the two yrs I've had it, it works maybe 10% of the time - great feature, just wish I could make use of it.

Anyone any ideas?

Post #541003 Thu Nov 16 2017 1:01am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

In my experience, if you're not doing very long journeys very regularly, the battery won't stay sufficiently charged. Battery management module will then not allow battery draining below a certain level by refusing to operate secondary features like timed climate so that the car can still be started.

Unfortunately these cars use a lot of battery power even when parked due to some systems on stand-by. For example if you don't park in access height, it may try to keep levelling the suspension by lowering bit by bit. Keyless entry also requires some components to stay alive all the time.

My advice would be to get a maintenance/trickle charger and leave the car on it when not in use. This has mostly ensured in the past that my remote (but same applies to timed) climate worked when I needed. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #541005 Thu Nov 16 2017 6:57am
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Just to add and support to fkarim's thoughts, my understanding is that the remote activation overrides any default temperature settings. In other words the temperature consideration does not apply to remote activation.

I often use my remote even during mild days as I often have just short journeys to do and feel that it is better for the car (and perhaps the planet) if my car is as warm as possible as quickly as possible. (I would guess that timed activation works in the same way but I don't have that).

One other thing. Mine recently stopped working although it tested OK when a reader was attached. It was discovered that it just needed a reset. By disconnecting the live feed to the remote receiver from the battery, leaving it for 30 seconds and then reconnecting it, everything started working properly again. It was thought (by my Indie) that I may have run it low on fuel at some point and the low fuel code was retained in the remote heater receiver, hence the need for a reset.

It does seem that the battery charge is the area to look at first but if you can easily disconnect the power, that might also be worth a try.

Is Bodsy around for a chat/views? Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #541007 Thu Nov 16 2017 8:21am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

2008 is different from 2012. The 08 one you can use the remote kit to fire the FBH at any temp.

The 12 one uses the cars brain to manage it and get the fans to work. FBH remote will come on when the temp is 14 degrees or lower. If it’s not cold enough, then the FBH won’t come on and it will put the cars fan vents to face instead of windscreen.

If it’s failing due to voltage, it’s pretty much a dead cert that the battery isn’t of a high enough rating or (more usually) just not sufficiently charged.

Good way to test is to leave a trickle charger on it overnight. You’ll probably find that the remote will power up the FBH with no problem. Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #541079 Thu Nov 16 2017 7:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

The other thing is, is your fuel gauge always accurate or does it have the common wiring fault and shows empty occasionally? Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #541081 Thu Nov 16 2017 7:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Willywilson1980

United Kingdom 

Thanks all for the advice and thoughts. I suspect probably is battery related as typically do lot of short journeys. But I’ve also tried after the cars been for long runs and I know (the new) battery will be chargerd. Also very hit and miss, sometimes working great after short journeys and not at all when you’d expect the battery to be well charged. Most common is that it activates but only runs for a few minutes.

I will check the battery rating as this was fit by an independent so not LR. To ‘reset’ I presume it’s just a simple un-plug and plug back in? I don’t need to have a diagnostic tool to reset any settings etc?

Would have been nice to have been able to use it in the snow and -6 degrees today!

Thanks again
P

Post #543137 Mon Dec 11 2017 9:13am
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
it could be that the FBH is Censored needs a strip down and clean or a new unit

our 2010/60 had a new unit under warranty (early 2017) as it did not hold combustion a couple of times, faults stored and trip to dealer = warranty claim

just a thought Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #543188 Mon Dec 11 2017 5:57pm
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Have had this prob before.

Have found doing a hard reset will enable it again.

I found that anytime the battery was discharged by a significant amount, ie. doors left open, listening to radio etc and power warning light was displayed a hard reset was required to enable the timed climate to work again.

I always gave it a full charge before doing reset and kept a cable in batt box and spanner so could be done anywhere anytime Thumbs Up Now driving a rather smart looking Van

Post #543456 Fri Dec 15 2017 5:17pm
Willywilson1980

United Kingdom 

Thanks again all for comments. Checked the battery, it’s non land rover and capacity 900A / 12V / 100AH. Can’t seem to find details for what original Landrover is - does anyone know?

In regards the hard reset is it simple un-plug of the box in the boot panel and plug back in? I.e. doesn’t require diagnostics tool?

Many thanks!
P

Post #543479 Fri Dec 15 2017 9:25pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

My understanding of hard reset is to remove both leads from the battery terminals and then touch the two leads together. CARE just for clarity, we are touching the diconnnected leads together, NOT shorting out the battery which would be a very dangerous thing to do.

I believe the idea is to discharge any remaining current from the electrical circuits so that everything starts up fresh. I havent done it but if I were to I’d first park the car in Access mode and leave it for 5 mins or so to allow as much as possible to shut down.

HOWEVER let’s wait for someone else on the forum (lespes?) to comment to make sure I’ve got this right. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #543486 Fri Dec 15 2017 11:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1