RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Front Brembo Discs needing replaced
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Pufftmw wrote:
If I get surface rust on my discs (try leaving outside in Wales for 2 weeks and not have them rust), I go for a drive and brake until surface rust has gone and normal braking resumes.

Am I missing something?

I’m with Puff here. I’ve certainly noticed swmbo’s Saab discs are rusty each morning, and she uses her car daily for a drive of around 1 hour.

I always thought that they did rust a bit - raw steel aren’t they, and exposed to air? But I believe that disc pads are very slightly in contact with the disc at all times and so as soon as you move the car, they clean off. That’s why if you leave a car for long time they can bind a bit as the rust builds up. Remember rust takes up a much bigger volume than the iron and oxygen that formed it - I guess because of the crystalline structure of rust when formed.

With old drum brakes after driving through a ford, you always needed to test your brakes as the water may still be present in the drum, but with discs there is less risk of this as the pad and disc are very slightly in contact at all times. Or am I regurgitating old wives tales? Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #543409 Fri Dec 15 2017 1:30am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I agree with Eater's observations. However - with my underused classic cars the rust on the inside faces of the discs tends to be slightly greater and deeper pitting can occur. The only explanation I can think of is that the backplate covering the disc on that side encourages moisture to persist whereas the outer face is more exposed to the breeze, sunlight etc and will dry more quickly.

Driving them more often is fine in the summer but with salt on the roads such as we have at present - not happening! 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #543418 Fri Dec 15 2017 11:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12