RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Expensive cars these!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

GARYF123

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Expensive cars these!

Just following on from my last post with details of my 2007 TDV6 repair/service bill, I thought I would let you all know of my families latest motoring woes!
2 weeks ago, my future son in law called to see me in his 2007 BMW 320D. Turned engine off and realising that I wasn't home, tried starting the car again - nothing! Long story short, new high pressure fuel pump needed at approx' £800.00!
Last Sunday, my son who also has a 2007 TDV6 (60,000 miles) called to tell me he had been travelling down M1 at about 60 miles per hour in fast lane when car suddenly lost power and he had to fight to get it on the hard shoulder. Got it recovered home and code reader had camshaft & crankshaft sensor faults as well as fuel pressure fault. Checked camshaft and wasn't spinning - oh dear! I did some research and found that service history had been scrupulously kept to and front timing belt changed 12 months and 8000 miles earlier. This, teamed up with the fuel pressure fault led me to assume (wrongly!) that the rear belt had gone. At least no major damage!
Monday morning and it is back on recovery truck to my trusty local Indy with a promise to call when had a chance to look at it.
Tuesday morning, I get a message to call in and see them. When I get there, I am confronted with a view of the front of the engine minus timing belt cover. What a mess! The belt hadn't snapped but the tensioner had sheared off the oil pump housing! The belt had rubbed into the rear plastic housing creating a deep gouge. The front housing was shown to me complete with tensioner still attached! I will upload pictures later when I am on my desktop.
The upshot is that we have chosen to let them remove the engine, strip off ancillaries and split it into modular assemblies ( block, left head, right head etc) and send to their usual engine rebuilders. There, it will be fully checked and rebuilt as necessary and installed back in car with all fluids etc changed and 12 month warranty. The cost for all this is anywhere up to about £8500.00 depending on internal damage. The mechanic thinks damage hopefully will be minimal i.e. Bent valves etc as the engine was at no point starved of oil. My son is not a happy bunny! This was a relatively low mileage, well serviced car so anybody taking a chance on a well used suspect history car, beware!!! These Range Rovers are not for the faint hearted or thin wallet brigade!!!
Merry xmas!

Post #543328 Thu Dec 14 2017 11:58am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

I fitted a factory recon engine, supplied by a main dealer for £7,000 (with a 2 year warranty)

Sounds like you are being taken for a ride...

Post #543329 Thu Dec 14 2017 12:05pm
GARYF123

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

To be honest, I was trying to get a ballpark figure to give to my son and they were reluctant to commit without further investigation. But, as a over the top comparison, they showed me a 3.0 v6 that had snapped crank and what with some other related work, the total had come to about £8500 although they did say it should be less than this.
My own 2.7 had a new engine, turbo and gearbox flush done in 2016 for £6400.00 with a 2 year warranty at a company called NWS down Wales way I think.

Post #543332 Thu Dec 14 2017 12:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1