RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Front Brembo Discs needing replaced
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Lindab

United Kingdom 
Front Brembo Discs needing replaced

My problem is that my 2014 Sport was in for a service & they said the front discs needed replaced as there was rust on the inside faces & it would be £835, thank you very much.
I said that the car has only done 6000 miles, is garaged & when washed I always take it out to ensure the brakes are dry before putting it away. I argued that although a wear part they should be done under warranty as they should last longer than 6000miles. Not so, you should drive it more. That is when I involved Customer Services.
Any way he said they were not prepared to do anything, so I said that as the car would be replaced next year & if I got no joy from him, I would replace it with a Mercedes & they would loose about an £80000 sale ( I even said you pay the discs/pads I would pay labour). As I also have an F type Jaguar & that would be replaced next year, I would not then buy another but possibly Porsche, so they would loose another approx. £80000 sale
Sorry you feel that way but it is not for negotiation was his reply. I am no genius but £835 versus around £160000, I must be missing something. Would a Japanese or German manufacturer have the same reply
They wont even get the £835 as I shall find someone else to do it
I was thinking of emailling the sales manager to tell him what they will be missing Big Cry , but will he even care Whistle Rolling with laughter

Post #543205 Mon Dec 11 2017 8:25pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

That's an expensive set of discs and pads Shocked

I remember cringing at the thought of a £1k bill for front + rear brakes, never mind fronts alone Shocked

Post #543215 Mon Dec 11 2017 9:59pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Your problem with rusty disks is also an issue for electric cars and PHEV’s that have regenerative braking systems, the discs rust because they don’t get the same use as normal braking systems and are often a MOT failure at 3 years old/ 1st MOT. It is indeed a crazy system but I think your encounter with LRCS is very common and partly as a result of LR having queues of people to buy their cars. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #543222 Mon Dec 11 2017 10:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Brembo front discs are £106.99 each from Eurocarparts. Pads around £95 a set. So that`s less than £300 for the bits! Steve.

Post #543227 Mon Dec 11 2017 11:50pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Holy Censored we've just bought our son his first car for £550 with £30 road tax, needs nothing doing to it Thumbs Up

Steve. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #543232 Tue Dec 12 2017 7:17am
Meiang

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

I do about 3500-4,000km/year and have never had problems with the discs rusting on any of my cars, even on my L320 Sport. I don't bother drying my discs when the cars are washed either.

So now you can't buy a Range Rover Sport for low km city use because:
1) The battery wont charge.
2) The DPF wont regenerate.
3) The brakes rust and don't work properly.

They need a warning sticker on the car, do not buy this car if!!

Post #543236 Tue Dec 12 2017 9:29am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Genuine L/R Discs around £100.00 each retail inc. vat.
New style anti squeal pads around £300.00 retail inc. vat.
Pad fitting kit x 2 £100.00

Take into account the cost of parts to the dealer, they must be trying to rip you off for something like £400.00 - £450.00 just for fitting them.

Cheers
Col

Post #543243 Tue Dec 12 2017 10:32am
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If I get surface rust on my discs (try leaving outside in Wales for 2 weeks and not have them rust), I go for a drive and brake until surface rust has gone and normal braking resumes.

Am I missing something?

Post #543244 Tue Dec 12 2017 10:47am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Their is this stuff that is good for spraying on discs after you have washed your car to stop them rusting or you could do the same as me & after ive washed it I give it half hour then just reverse car off drive & drive back on with brake pedal applied slightly.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilt-Hamber-Ato...Sw9mpZ-wcl

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #543246 Tue Dec 12 2017 11:02am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Andy, I have bought some of that anti rust stuff but have not used it on Sport as it seems a bit late. However I will try it on the Jag as its away to sleep for the winter under its cozy cover & CTEK charger on.
I actually do what you do, drive the car with the brake slightly applied to ensure the discs are dry
I will take the car into someone else to see if the discs actually need done. Going by other posts it looks as though I am being ripped off for around £400 for them to fit the new brakes. But you have to remember they offer to wash the car which must cost a lot Rolling Eyes Although I always tell them Do not wash. However they always leave dirty marks as a wee present on the door handles (white interior) & its been returned to them more than once for cleaning, but they must think I like it as they persist in doing it (Pentland Perth)
When I was last in they asked if I wanted to extend the warranty as is was ending at the end of November. They said they would contact me with the price. 3 weeks later I have heard nothing. Their loss

Post #543254 Tue Dec 12 2017 12:23pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Why not get Disco-Micky to check them over,,he's in your area.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #543257 Tue Dec 12 2017 12:53pm
Evo5man

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I have a Porsche 996 Carrera 4S that doesn't get much use and is stored over the winter. When I wash the car, I do the same as others on here and go for a short drive to dry off the discs.

The car went into my local Porsche Main Agent for a service and they advised me that all discs and pads needed replacing due to corrosion on the inner faces at a cost of about £1,000. I was advised that the car would probably fail its next MOT.

I declined replacement of discs and pads and inspected the disc inner faces with the service rep when I collected the car. He eventually agreed that the corrosion was only surface corrosion due to lack of use with little or no pitting of the surfaces. I drove the car home and applied some heavy braking. When I got home, discs were clear of all surface corrosion.

That experience was 8 years ago and I still have the same discs on the car and it has never failed or even had an advisory at any of the MOT's. The car has continued to be serviced by my local Porsche Main Agent for last 8 years with no further comments about disc corrosion, I just make sure that I go through a few accelerate and brake sequences immediately before I put the car in for service.

Post #543263 Tue Dec 12 2017 2:06pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Evo5man, Thanks for that, I shall try it as I do tend to be easy on the brakes trying to anticipate what's going to happen ahead
Will take it for a blast & use the brakes aggressively Evil or Very Mad

Post #543273 Tue Dec 12 2017 3:54pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

I went to see Disko-Mikey today (never knew he was in the same town as me) anyway he had a look at my discs, although there was some surface rust at the edges he said the discs were ok to be used until the pads needed replaced,( not any time soon) Good to get a proper assessment, not like the main dealer. He is someone you should use & I do not say this lightly.
I shall be using him in the future for any work required.
Charles

Post #543387 Thu Dec 14 2017 9:18pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Main dealers aren’t nicknamed stealers for nothing!
I leave my car unused for long periods and there can be a problem getting the Electronic Parking Brake to release - a bit of mechanical insensitivity is often required to break the rust binding things together and it isn’t possible to leave the car with the EPB not engaged as it will automatically engage after a while......... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #543396 Thu Dec 14 2017 10:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>