RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Sunday Time Driving section ....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Sunday Time Driving section ....

Jeremy Clarkson road tests the Disco5 TD6 HSE this week............... oh dear, only 3 stars and a comment to the effect that you should “buy a 7 seat Range Rover Sport instead, it is miles better and if you don’t need 7 seats then consider a Range Rover Sport, Evoque or a Volvo XC90.......... ” Rolling with laughter Lordy he even recommends the “beautiful” Range Rover Velar as a better choice........ 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #543110 Sun Dec 10 2017 8:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Meiang

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

I've seen less Discovery 5's here than I have fingers on one hand. Having owned 3 older Discoverys, I can't imagine what LR were thinking when they created it. Its a nothingness vehicle.

Post #543170 Mon Dec 11 2017 4:32pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

amusing reading

Quote:
I have always hated the Land Rover Discovery. The first model was cobbled together out of some steel girders and bits and bobs from the dying embers of Austin Rover. It had a shorter wheelbase than today’s Mini, looked stupid and was bought mainly by murderers.

They liked it because underneath the unreliable and ugly outer shell it had a Land Rover four-wheel-drive system, which meant it could be used to carry the bodies of those they’d killed far into the woods, where they’d never be found.

Eventually Land Rover decided that it looked too like an elephant on a unicycle to cut much mustard, and in 2004 it came up with a boxy’n’big seven-seater that for some reason had two chassis. I listened patiently to an engineer explaining why Land Rover had done this, but none of it made any sense, because the car weighed about 2½ tons. It didn’t drive over obstacles so much as flatten them.

However, unlike the first incarnation, it was aimed fairly and squarely at the family woman, so while it may have had all the off-road gubbins you’d need to get a severed head up Ben Nevis, the marketing and the packaging stated that this heavyweight was intended to be a school-run car.

It wasn’t any good at that sort of thing, though, because back then Land Rover’s engineers wore camouflage trousers and liked mud. Most, I suspect, didn’t know what children were. Which is presumably why you had to use two hands to lower the middle row of seats. And that was impossible if you were carrying a toddler. “What’s a toddler?” said someone from Land Rover at the time. “Is it a kind of machinegun?”

There were other issues too, such as if you raised the rear row of seats there was no boot at all. Which meant your dog had to be wafer thin and your children’s heads were only a few inches from the back window. I never thought that was ideal, so when the time came for me to get a seven-seat family wagon, I bought the Volvo XC90, and today I’m on my third.

All of this, however, is ancient history, because there’s now a new Discovery and the first thing you need to know is: it looks ridiculous. It’s fine from the front, and if you squint, it looks quite good from the side too, but what were they thinking of at the back? The old model had an offset numberplate because the spare wheel was mounted on the outside of the tailgate. But the new model’s spare is not. So why stick with the off-centre plate?

The other issue is the sheer size of the damn thing. This is one of those cars in which you spend most of your time in suburbia, sitting at one end of a side road waiting for nothing to be coming the other way because it’s just too wide to squeeze by. You’d make faster progress on a cow.

That said, the new Volvo XC90 is also far too big, but at least its size translates to plenty of space on the inside. That’s emphatically not the case with the Disco. I was driven to a party in the back of it, and not since the old Ford Galaxy have I been so uncomfortable in the rear of a car. The seat was too hard, the legroom was tight and the backrest adjustment offered a simple choice: bolt upright, or very nearly bolt upright. This is easyJet economy seating.

To make matters worse, the front-seat headrests look like ET’s head after he’s been stung by a wasp. This is because, in my test car, each of them housed a television, but, hang on a minute, has no one told Land Rover these days TVs don’t have to have tubes at the back? They can be thin.

Further back things get quite interesting because when you open the tailgate, you’re presented with a wall of buttons such as you would find in the wi-fi router room on the Starship Enterprise. This means that the seats can be raised and lowered individually, using electricity, and that’s brilliant.

However, before you can do any of this, you must put your toddler in the gutter, climb inside and remove the bar in which the boot’s roller blind is stored. Oh, and you must also be careful not to push the button that makes the back of the car rear up into the sky.

Still, when you’ve removed the internal bar, parachuted back to earth and retrieved your child from the gutter, you do have a seven-seat car. And still, despite the external dimensions, a pathetically small boot. The only advantage to this is that children can say to their teachers: “I haven’t brought my homework in. There wasn’t space in the car.”

As a practical everyday proposition, then, the Disco is soundly beaten once more by the big Volvo. And the Range Rover Sport, which is also available with seven seats.

Post #543171 Mon Dec 11 2017 4:35pm
Meiang

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

The Landrover Discovery Series 1 and 2 was a decent vehicle at least with the V8 engine on board and most people forget the Discovery 2 was available with ACE (made it a seriously good car to drive) which is now used by Toyota in the Prado and Landcruiser models.
The Landrover diesel engines were dogs compared to the V8 petrol engine no ifs buts or otherwise.
Then they bought out the bread van Discovery 3. The 4.4l V8 struggled to move it unless you reved it hard and again the 2.7l V6 diesel didnt do the vehicle any favours. The 5l V8 in the Discovery 4 was the the one to go for but outside of the US or Middle East it was hard to obtain because local landrover dealers didnt want to sell it. I tried response, there is a 3 month waiting list to get one.

Now we have Discovery 5, not sure what to say aopart from its not a Discovery.

Clearly Landrover don't want sales from previous owners.

Post #543176 Mon Dec 11 2017 4:59pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

My first ever Lnd Rover was a Disco 1 V8i ES with every option box ticked - I went into a Dealership with both Volvo and Lnd Rover franchises to by the then new V40, was told 9 months wait so went out to think about it. One of the sales staff from the Land Rover side saw me, came out to ask if he could interest me in a Land Rover and he could do a great deal on this 1 year old V8i, the rest is history! The V8 cost me a part-exchange of a Rover 216 and no money so I really got a bargain. I had the car for 3 years and sold it to my brother who was running a Sierra Cosworth 4x4 at the time but it was hopeless in the snow, he ran the D1 for another 9 years before selling it on. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #543183 Mon Dec 11 2017 5:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1