RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Snow.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Well I left Southampton around 8:30 this morning expecting the drive from hell as it was -3c and the roads had a glaze on them but have had a clear run straight through to my overnight stop in the NW of England. All roads used have been clear but very wet and there are loads of d**kh**ds driving onto the M6 from Birmingham North with huge blocks of snow on top of their cars that are far more of a hazard to following cars than the water on the road as the snow blows off in lumps onto the carriage way. Most snow was during the transit of the miles and miles of road Works north of Birmingham and the average speed cams and 50mph limit was a godsend as it slowed up some of the loonies. The forecast for tomorrow is for snow overnight here in Lancashire but there is less snow here than there was further south this morning and the local roads have quite a lot of melt water flooding rather than slush on them. With 0-1c forecast tonight I bet there will be some slippery bits on country roads. One thing I noticed was all the way from joining the M6 to turning off at Lancaster the overhead signs were giving the message out “ Snow Gritters in action” - I didn’t see a single gritter all the way north! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #543013 Sat Dec 09 2017 2:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cymruambyth

Wales 

There seems to be a lack of gritters around where I live too for some reason Neutral Steve.

Post #543014 Sat Dec 09 2017 2:57pm
LJRH

England 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I'm yet to see a gritter Noisy black one

Post #543017 Sat Dec 09 2017 4:04pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Stevepd wrote:

Eaters sorry mate but I looked at your wheels previously but I'll hang out for the 5V spokes, there's a few out there. Thumbs Up

Steve

No problem Steve

I think I’ve given the forum (and the D3 site) a fair crack for these so I guess I’ll split the tyres and rims and sell the rims at auction. Once that’s sorted I’ll invest in a set of 19” s that do fit my RRS and fit the tyres on. These tyres are full winter certified and, whilst in my corner of the country we probably get the warmest winters, it’d still be good to use these and save my Uniroyals for summertime.

Of course it’s sort of implied on the posts on this thread but your super car is only as good as those around you. It’s no good being safe and secure in yours if some arsehole decides to take a bend too fast and either takes you out or blocks the road with carnage. Take care out there people. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #543024 Sat Dec 09 2017 6:57pm
LJRH

What’s the deal with the snow setting? Good for below 30mph? Noisy black one

Post #543048 Sun Dec 10 2017 10:49am
GodivaNige

England 

Fairly sure ive just been called lots of unsavory names.
Took the wife to work as her MX5 has all but disappeared under a blanket of snow and I doubt she’d even get it off the drive.
A45 out of Coventry towards Daventry, long line of crawling traffic all stuck behind a German exec rep mobile. I joined in for all of two minutes then got bored. Out into the snowy lane and passed them all at a reasonably sensible speed... nothing stupid.

I could almost hear W*****R!!!! and B******D!!! Being muttered Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #543051 Sun Dec 10 2017 12:07pm
LJRH

I went over to check on my grandmother, roads were ok, just the other prats in their RWDs trying to get up the hills. Noisy black one

Post #543056 Sun Dec 10 2017 1:27pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

GodivaNige wrote:
Fairly sure ive just been called lots of unsavory names.
Took the wife to work as her MX5 has all but disappeared under a blanket of snow and I doubt she’d even get it off the drive.
A45 out of Coventry towards Daventry, long line of crawling traffic all stuck behind a German exec rep mobile. I joined in for all of two minutes then got bored. Out into the snowy lane and passed them all at a reasonably sensible speed... nothing stupid.

I could almost hear W*****R!!!! and B******D!!! Being muttered Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Love it Laughing Steve.

Post #543057 Sun Dec 10 2017 1:42pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

My drive

My road

Supposed to be nights tonight Neutral Might have a go at getting up the hill in a bit......if it`s no go then it`ll be a phone call and 12 hours holiday booked Very Happy Steve.

Post #543061 Sun Dec 10 2017 1:51pm
Tim in Scotland

I left Lancaster at 8;30am and was in Stirling at 11;00am one of the best trips north from Lancaster I have had. Car was wet rather than frozen this morning and not a single flake of snow fell......... BUT at Sharp it was -5c and at Beattick Summit -11c
The motorway was well gritted but that caused other problems as the rear of the car get filthy very very quickly. At one stage the rear wiper cut out for reasons best known to itself as 20 minutes later it caught up with all the presses of the rear wash wiper that I had made giving me lots of squirt of fluid and wipes. Scenery in the Lakes and Clyde Valley was stunning too - all frosted or snowed on.

I understand the softies in the south have had a couple of flakes fall bringing the M25 and M1 to a grinding halt - I heard something like 30cms of snow in the midlands - I can only consider it to be “fake news” as the sun never stops shining in the south from the winging we always hear up here in the north when there is the odd wet day.......... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #543065 Sun Dec 10 2017 2:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BKHK

Australia 

36 degrees here today, no breeze so it felt like 40. I know what you mean about the back attracting dirt, I had to rinse off some light dust this arvo when I cleaned the SC. Laughing

Post #543067 Sun Dec 10 2017 2:17pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

So we got a decent amount of snow (by suburban London standards) today. I was out from early morning for the usual stuff. It would have been a pleasure driving on the snow covered roads if it wasn’t for the cars stuck and not going anywhere. Got to a bridge and nobody was able to get up. There was a policewoman in the car in front of me and she started telling people to turn around but said I could go ahead. Got up and down the bridge no problem Thumbs Up Then on to the next incline just before a big roundabout and got stuck. A double decker bus was blocking more than 2 of the 3 lanes after sliding backwards and skidding diagonally across Banging Head Most cars needed to be pushed up the slope through the narrow portion of the road that was clear of the bus. No problems there either when it was my turn after a looooong wait.

Today just confirmed the need for proper winter tyres for me. My all season M+S tyres with plenty of tread were NOT particularly helpful with stopping the car quickly on level roads, let alone downhill. Turning into roads and going around roundabouts also needed a lot of care otherwise the rear end would skid even at relatively slow speeds. There were some nervous moments. If all season are like this in a couple of inches of snow, I don’t even want to think about how they would behave on mountain roads with potentially loads more snow. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #543070 Sun Dec 10 2017 2:39pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Well I`ve decided I`m not taking the risk going to work Thumbs Up Should be ok for tomorrow night as the white hell is due to stop later Thumbs Up Steve.

Post #543071 Sun Dec 10 2017 2:42pm
Tim in Scotland

FKarim, did you use low box and HDC for downhill and corners, it is quite a good aid even in normal TR settings in those conditions and if you think you might get stuck disabling the DSC works wonders. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #543072 Sun Dec 10 2017 2:45pm
GodivaNige

England 

Just been to the caravan storage site to brush off some of the weight from the roof. Counted 3 vanners returning from their weekend away. Towing a caravan in this, fair play to them Thumbs Up
Slight hill out of the site and about 8 inches of fresh snow, in Mud, Snow, Grass on the TR with P Scorpion Assis and it got stuck. Switched to low range, suspension went up and HDC comes on, try again and was moving once more with no drama.

The last time we had snow like this in the Midlands was a few years ago now and at the time had a FL1. That was very good in heavy snow, never got stuck once, again on summer tyres. Big difference in weight probably has something to do with it.

Post #543073 Sun Dec 10 2017 2:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>