RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Snow.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>

Cymruambyth

Wales 
Snow.

Well....I`ll find out how good / bad the Sport is in the snow later when I leave work at 7pm. We had about 5 inches or more already and it`s due to snow on and off all day!!! Not looking forward to it Sad Steve.

Post #542909 Fri Dec 08 2017 12:17pm
LJRH

England 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I had a full fat when we had all that flooding a few years ago in the winter- it was definitely fit for purpose. I have never driven a RR in snow however! Noisy black one

Post #542922 Fri Dec 08 2017 3:04pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

They are great on snow and ice, as long as you respect the laws of Physics. Good winter tyres help a great deal too. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #542926 Fri Dec 08 2017 3:17pm
phillh

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Tyres make all the difference. I had a FFRR with ordinary road tyres and it was awful, sure it would
get moving but if there was the slightest camber, it would start sliding sideways. By contrast, my old
D2 with Goodrich All Terrains would go literally anywhere.

Post #542927 Fri Dec 08 2017 3:24pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Not a bundle of snow 1000ft up in Carmarthenshire Sad

My old XC70 with M&S tyres was absolutely spot on in snow one year. Bro-in-law got stuck 1/2 way up a hill in his FWD Passat. Just reversed down, attached tow-rope and pulled him all the way to the top with no problem.

Post #542933 Fri Dec 08 2017 3:54pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I driving from Southampton to Stirling tomorrow and Sunday on my 22” Summer tyres - as I’ve never had an issue before I don’t expect tomorrow will be any more difficult using the HDC and TR settings as usual. I have taken the precaution of booking a bed for the night in Lancaster though as I don’t fancy ending the trip on icy roads in the dark, will leave Southampton after the sun has got up tomorrow and take it easy and stop before dark. My only worry are the loonies who may be out on the A34/M40/M6 trying to get to the Christmas shops and footy matches and who drive like maniacs in their A4’s/3 Series and C Class Mercs with semi-slick tyres on. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #542936 Fri Dec 08 2017 4:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Is it worth using the snow setting or best to just take it easy? The bypass should be pretty clear, it`s just the side roads around where I live. I know it won`t be amazing as I`m on summer tyres and 22`s...just hoping I can get down my road and up my drive Very Happy Steve.

Post #542939 Fri Dec 08 2017 4:38pm
Tim in Scotland

Start off with Grass Gravel and Snow and if you can safely get to a decent speed then go back into normal highway mode, but there is no reason why you cannot make the whole trip in Grass, Gravel and Snow. I will be interested if there is deepish snow on the motorways to see if having the ediff and torque vectoring on my RRS is any advantage. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #542940 Fri Dec 08 2017 4:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Thumbs Up Steve.

Post #542944 Fri Dec 08 2017 6:23pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Remember that four wheel drive will get you going but it won't help you corner or stop. If you're struggling to get going on your summer tyres using four wheel drive then you are going to really struggle to stop. Go very gently and use HDC even on the flat. This will slow you to walking pace when you let off the throttle. Avoid braking directly. Keep your speed low and take your time. 2.5tonnes on a slippery surface is a real handful! Remember that HDC has an upper speed limit of about 30mph. It doesn't work above that.

Using "grass gravel and snow" on TR will help - it reduces throttle response at low speed which is helpful. You can use low range and HDC and go down a hill at walking pace. "Grass etc" mode automatically engages HDC but you have to engage low range yourself. Select neutral (not park!) and then press the range change button. You can do this whilst moving but if you're not used to it, do it at rest initially.

Don't forget that if you're struggling up a slope then turning off DSC can help. DSC notices side slips e.g. when trying to go up a slippery slope and kills the power just when you don't want it to. Reapply DSC once back on the level.

Best piece of advice is: if in doubt, don't go out. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #542949 Fri Dec 08 2017 7:07pm
Tim in Scotland

Well said 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #542950 Fri Dec 08 2017 7:09pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Remember that four wheel drive will get you going but it won't help you corner or stop. If you're struggling to get going on your summer tyres using four wheel drive then you are going to really struggle to stop. Go very gently and use HDC even on the flat. This will slow you to walking pace when you let off the throttle. Avoid braking directly. Keep your speed low and take your time. 2.5tonnes on a slippery surface is a real handful! Remember that HDC has an upper speed limit of about 30mph. It doesn't work above that.

Using "grass gravel and snow" on TR will help - it reduces throttle response at low speed which is helpful. You can use low range and HDC and go down a hill at walking pace. "Grass etc" mode automatically engages HDC but you have to engage low range yourself. Select neutral (not park!) and then press the range change button. You can do this whilst moving but if you're not used to it, do it at rest initially.

Don't forget that if you're struggling up a slope then turning off DSC can help. DSC notices side slips e.g. when trying to go up a slippery slope and kills the power just when you don't want it to. Reapply DSC once back on the level.

Best piece of advice is: if in doubt, don't go out. Thumbs Up

Nice...very detailed....need to screenshot that Thumbs Up

It was ok until I hit the dual carriageway...for some reason (40mph) the back end let go. Felt it go left...eased off throttle slowly, felt it go right and then it straightened up.....bum twitching Sad

But...I actually reversed up my snow covered drive (just) for the first time in 22 years Laughing Steve.

Post #542955 Fri Dec 08 2017 7:52pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Why is everyone on summer tyres rather than the standard M&S all seasons that the RRS tends to come with? I can understand it if you all had a separate set of winter tyres, but it would appear that you don't (or you would have put them on). RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #542956 Fri Dec 08 2017 8:00pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

I`m on the alloys and tyres which came with it. Steve.

Post #542957 Fri Dec 08 2017 8:02pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

syl wrote:
Why is everyone on summer tyres rather than the standard M&S all seasons that the RRS tends to come with? I can understand it if you all had a separate set of winter tyres, but it would appear that you don't (or you would have put them on).

As people have stated before the vehicle is only as good as the rubber you have on it! I wouldn’t have summer tyres on anytime of the year but I guess it depends how and what you use your vehicle for Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #542959 Fri Dec 08 2017 8:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>