RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > wheels refurbished by a main dealer invalidates warrenty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Josh Bear

wheels refurbished by a main dealer invalidates warrenty

Hi all

Would appreciate your experience. After a kerb scrape I had my wheels refurbished by a main dealer. They picked the car up from the house, I paid the dealer and then they dropped it back. They outsourced the repair but all my interactions and as I said, payment was with the dealer. The car is less than three years old and the wheels are now looking like they are corroding. The dealer is telling me that the refurbished wheels only have a year warrenty after a repair as it was done by a third party. My point has been I didn’t go to a third party, they did.

Responsiveness from the dealer has been appalling and there is a week between each interaction. This is my second RRS autobiography in a row and due for change soon but they are not making it easy to buy a third with this poor service!

Anyway what are your thoughts should the wheels still be covered for corrosion given the car is less than three years old? Also who do I escalate to?
Thanks

Josh

Post #542479 Sat Dec 02 2017 6:30pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

In T&C of LR genuine warranty from new, Alloys are exempt from normal cover if any kerbing or damage has been caused, wrong type tyres fitted etc.
A year unless otherwise stated would be normal warranty from most wheel refurbishes.
Once any damage has been caused then no warranty will cover any repairs I'm afraid.
Just try to get some better offer on repair from dealer you took them to. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Last edited by Johnski on Sat Dec 02 2017 7:49pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #542492 Sat Dec 02 2017 7:32pm
Josh Bear

Hi

Thanks. The kerbing damage was around the outside rim of the wheel and was repaired. The corrosion I have an issue with is no where near that and not caused by kerbing. So is that still not covered?

Thanks

Josh

Post #542493 Sat Dec 02 2017 7:40pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

That is where the lacquer is lifting off the wheel,,when water gets behind it it will lift even more,,,warranty issue but don’t get me started on LR warranty’s.

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #542496 Sat Dec 02 2017 7:50pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

The main problem area I see here is that they were not refurbished by LR or I presume one of their recognised repairers.
You will have to push your dealer has hard as possible, but cannot see LRcovering this. Other members may have other advice or feeling on this?
Was the repair done as a chargeable repair or warranty? Not sure why the dealer may have used a cheaper refurbishment company, but the markings you show is seen on a lot of RRS cars I'm afraid. Whistle John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #542497 Sat Dec 02 2017 7:55pm
Josh Bear

Hi

The refurbish repair was booked with a main dealer, the main dealer picked the car up from my house and the payment for the refurb was paid to the main dealer. I had no involvement or contact with the refurbisher so surely my contract is with LR dealer. I have asked them to show me on the original paper work, which I still have, where I agreed that them outsourcing would stop the wheels being covered for other issues but they can’t.

The dealer is taking a week to respond to most emails and I have now been patient for 6 weeks. Any help escalating would be appreciated.

Thanks

Josh

Post #542499 Sat Dec 02 2017 8:08pm
Darbs

United Kingdom 

Had all my wheels replaced foc under warranty. The corrosion under the lacquer was exactly the same.
Take the car to a different dealership, what the don’t know won’t hurt 😉

Post #542534 Sun Dec 03 2017 12:06pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

If you can persuade a JLR franchise to replace your wheels that would be a great result. However you will soon be back in the same situation with white corrosion visible under the lacquer. Polished alloy protected by lacquer does not withstand year round use in our climate.

You options are:
1) have the wheels replaced every year
2) have the wheels refurbished and powder coated
3) have the wheels stripped and polished and then protect with wheel sealer and wax and maintain the appearance with weekly washing and hand polishing (believe it or not some people with exotic split rims actually do that!)

It's a known problem and personally I wouldn't have polished (aka diamond cut) alloys again for that reason. They look great in the showroom but aren't really practical. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #542539 Sun Dec 03 2017 2:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1