RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > good time to buy a MY16/17
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Ratty

United Kingdom 
good time to buy a MY16/17

in the market for a new 4x4, don't have the liquidity for a new one so will be looking at a couple years old

do you think the px of the pre MY18 RRS will drop off with a steeper curve once the MY18s start flooding the streets?

coming from a MY10 autobio tdv8...nicked via keyless theft... am worried about the RRS2 build quality/crankshaft issue

other options are Sq5/Cayenne/Macan but a 7 seat RRS2 in carpatian is top of the list so far...
Is it worth the extra paying more for the 16.5 updates?

Cheers
[/b]

Post #542326 Fri Dec 01 2017 11:53am
kmpowell

MY16.5 changed/added nothing onto the MY16, just some refined options to what was standard. The big change was MY17 which gave the new ICTP system. So if you want to save more money get a MY16 (Sep 2015 onwards) car.

Smile SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Post #542331 Fri Dec 01 2017 1:09pm
wilf

And a warranty which will specifically cover any kind of engine failure. Delve deeply into the T&Cs. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #542336 Fri Dec 01 2017 1:48pm
Chips

England 

I have just bought a MY16 Autobiography and was a bit concerned afterwards after reading on here about used approved warranty not covering crankshaft failures . I bought the RRs from Farnel in Leeds (not local ) but when in my local Hatfields getting mudflaps fitted I enquired as to whether my warranty would cover this . They said of course , firstly I have 19mths of manufacturer warranty remaining which would cover it no question , then for the final 5mths it would be the approved used warranty that is done out of house, in which he said that it would not cover the crankshaft as it's a known fault due to a LR bulletin having been issued (that's the test apparently ) . However all that then happens is they pass the claim onto LR who will stand 100% of the cost out of goodwill . So nothing to fear while under either approved warranty or manufacturer warranty .
The problem comes he said when the vehicle is sold on to a third party with remaining warranty , if the crank fails outside of manufacture warranty but within approved used, LR will not look to goodwill as they did not sell the vehicle to said person .
So providing you buy the car from LR dealer you will be fine for the two years , what I didn't ask but will in time is what happens after the two years is up if you purchase an additional years warranty , will LR offer any goodwill then ?

Post #542389 Fri Dec 01 2017 8:58pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Ratty I would say not at 2+ years old, from experience JLR don’t want people changing at year 1 as they want all the used cars to be there’s or ex demos etc at that age, if you check the valuations thread you will see what I mean, but at nearly 3 -4 years old they don’t loose much more that after year 1, if I was you I’d go for a 9-12 month old one with full warranty for at least 2 years, they are out there for around £60k from JLR dealers, depending on your exact spec requirements, to sum up my pcp gfv at 3 years old on my new 2017 ab is £49k & £43k if I kept it until 4 years old, they don’t want hand backs so get yourself a nice year old one keep it for 2 years & prob only loose around £12-13k or keep it 3 years for £17-18k, as long as you don’t trade it into stra*****e!

Post #542392 Fri Dec 01 2017 10:00pm
syl

United Kingdom 

You can get a pretty good deal (five figure discount) on a brand new MY17 if your dealer has any in stock. Or see what Rockar has available.

I got one last week and I'm very happy with it. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #542395 Fri Dec 01 2017 10:47pm
BKHK

Australia 

I agree, good deals on MY17 RRS if in stock. Mine was the other side of the country and transcontinental shipping is expensive here but I still got a great deal.

Post #542403 Sat Dec 02 2017 3:06am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Chips wrote:

The problem comes he said when the vehicle is sold on to a third party with remaining warranty , if the crank fails outside of manufacture warranty but within approved used, LR will not look to goodwill as they did not sell the vehicle to said person .
So providing you buy the car from LR dealer you will be fine for the two years , what I didn't ask but will in time is what happens after the two years is up if you purchase an additional years warranty , will LR offer any goodwill then ?

Interesting,,,,when I spoke to LRCS about the vehicle I sold the guy on the Fone Callum was his name,,said their isn’t a problem selling car with remaining warranty as the warranty belongs to the car not the person who purchased it.BUT when the crank snapped after new owner had only had it 2 weeks LR don’t want to know.

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #542408 Sat Dec 02 2017 8:22am
rrsfan

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

FULLY LOADED RRS. REGISTERED APRIL 2017. METALLIC SANTORINI BLACK, 22" ALLOYS, PERFORATED LEATHER, HEATED AND COOLED FRONT SEATS AND HEATED REAR SEATS, 4 ZONE CLIMATE, EXTENDED WOOD VENEER, HEATED WINDSCREEN, LARGE WASHER BOTTLE, PRIVACY GLASS, 825W SURROUND SPEAKERS, RED BLAKE CALIPERS, SLIDING SUNROOF, SURROUND CAMERA SYSTEM, FIXED SIDE STEPS, FRONT AND REAR MUDFLAPS, LOADSPACE RAILS. THE CAR ALSO COMES WITH ALLOY WHEEL INSURANCE, TYRE INSURANCE AND ALSO SMART REPAIR INSURANCE. I HAVE ASLO THE 5 YEAR SERVICE PACK AND THE WARRANTY STILL HAS 2.1/2 YEARS REMAINING I AM SELLING AS I AM BUYING THE NEW PLUG IN HYBRID RRS. ONLY GENUINE SELLERS WILL BE ALLOWED TO VIEW THE CAR AND ALSO NOT INTERESTED IN ANYONE WHO WANTS TO SELL MY CAR FOR ME. ONLY INTERESTED IN A PRIVATE BUYER LOOKING TO BUY A CAR CHEAPER THAN BUYING FROM A DEALERSHIP.. . BLACK, £67,950 ONO

Post #542423 Sat Dec 02 2017 11:25am
gilford

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

The revised nav and speed display is nice but not sure it’s worth the £10k (screen price) it demands.

This is nice for £64k before negotiations -

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...obcid=soc4

I’m bemused as to white the white ones demand a £10k premium over all other colours!

Post #542433 Sat Dec 02 2017 12:42pm
CBL1

England 

Thread resurrection time and guidance/thoughts really appreciated.

I am also in the market for either a '16, '66 or '17 plate RRS Autobio or HSE Dynamic (former is the strong preference and likelihood) and am struggling to get a sense on price reasonableness given the vast array of used models available. Is £59-61k for a sub 12k mileage Autobio '16 plate reasonable for example?

Coming from a 5li S/C for the past 5 yrs, I am also alarmed that something so fundamental as a crank shaft could go uncovered past the three year stage of ownership? Is this the case even with a JLR approved extended warranty??

Finally, wisdom on this forum seems to indicate there is practically little difference between the 3li and the 4.4li TBV8, although given I have enjoyed the 5li S/C greatly, I would value further thoughts as to whether the extra 30 bhp is really practically noticeable.

Thanks in advance

Craig Maserati MC Stradale 2016
RRS 2017 SDV8 AutoBiography - June 2018
RRS 2010 Supercharged - 2013-May 2018
TVR Tuscan Mk1 3.6li - 50k miles and counting
2000 Mustang GT Convertible 4.6li V8 - Gone and much missed

Post #551864 Mon Mar 19 2018 9:27pm
ozzievechi

England 

With all the crankshaft woes I was hesitant to get a sdv6
After test driving three (all at approved dealers) I was unimpressed and hated the loud tractor like noise

lucky for me last dealer had a MY16 SDV8 in black that just came in...after 30 seconds knew it was the one... deposit paid and should get this week...only 16k miles and 1 owner.

Ad said heads up display and no side steps... upon seeing the car it had no heads up but had deployable side steps!

im paying just under £54k (Oall SDV8s are autobio dyn) ... all the 306 3.0 autobio were around 56-59k for similar miles....
Insurance on the 4.4 is cheaper (?!?!) and I think I can live with the extra road tax

and to me yes there is a massive difference between the 3.0 and 4.4... there's only one winner for me...but you need to drive it. Mrs hated the 3.0 and loved the 4.4....and she has 0 idea about cars and was just going by how it made her feel

my old (stolen car) was a 2010 TDV8 so this feels like a suitable homage to the old girl...who is either split into parts in 100 cars or on an eastern European/African driveway somewhere

Post #551907 Tue Mar 20 2018 11:19am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Your old one is more likely to be in Pakistan or Malaysia than “eastern Europe” - most East European countries ban the import of non LHD cars, criminals will get huge money sending the cars to corrupt Pakistan and Malaysia where there is huge duty on new imported cars and not a lot on used ones. Next time i’m In Port Klang, Port Quassim or Port Tanjung Pelepas where there are huge compounds of old UK cars waiting for buyers i’ll See what is available! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #551911 Tue Mar 20 2018 12:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CBL1

England 

ozzievechi wrote:

im paying just under £54k (Oall SDV8s are autobio dyn) ... all the 306 3.0 autobio were around 56-59k for similar miles....
Insurance on the 4.4 is cheaper (?!?!) and I think I can live with the extra road tax

and to me yes there is a massive difference between the 3.0 and 4.4... there's only one winner for me...but you need to drive it. Mrs hated the 3.0 and loved the 4.4....and she has 0 idea about cars and was just going by how it made her feel

Many thanks - v handy insight on ownership and on pricing. I haven't yet driven a 3li (rectifying imminently) but fear going from the 5li is going to be a partial disappointment regardless! Maserati MC Stradale 2016
RRS 2017 SDV8 AutoBiography - June 2018
RRS 2010 Supercharged - 2013-May 2018
TVR Tuscan Mk1 3.6li - 50k miles and counting
2000 Mustang GT Convertible 4.6li V8 - Gone and much missed

Post #551912 Tue Mar 20 2018 12:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1