RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > 5.0 SC almost stalling after long deceleration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

tom0311

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black
5.0 SC almost stalling after long deceleration

Hi all,

My timing chain and guides got the all clear from the garage, and they drove it around a bit for 5 days with no issues, I've had it back around 2 weeks and it's been running great. Until yesterday anyway. On A34 doing 70, saw traffic ahead so I started gradually slowing down over a good few hundred metres. Just took my foot off the accelerator and a tiny bit of braking. Felt the ride went lumpy once I'd got down to 30-40mph. Lumpiness continued right down to 0mph at which point it was struggling to idle. Almost stalling really. Revs dropped down to around 400. A few pokes of the accelerator, crept forward in traffic a few metres and it seemed to recover OK. Was dreading the 'restricted performance' message for the next 30 miles home, but it never came.

Rest of the journey was fine. From a standing start it felt a bit lumpy a few times but nowhere near stalling. IID tool reported no faults when I got home.

Anyone else experienced this on the 5.0 S/C? It's happened to me a few times now and I've noticed it's only when I've been travelling at NSL followed by a long deceleration. Doesn't happen every time though!

Any help much appreciated as always.

Cheers

Post #542244 Thu Nov 30 2017 2:26pm
rich_sargie

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Could be the tc not unlocking properly, had a similar problem on a sabb which eventually failed completely and the engine stalled every time you stopped.

Post #542268 Thu Nov 30 2017 8:24pm
tom0311

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Thanks for the reply. What's a tc Laughing ?

Post #542269 Thu Nov 30 2017 8:29pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

TC=Torque converter in gearbox

Post #542270 Thu Nov 30 2017 8:32pm
rich_sargie

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Beat me to it lol

Post #542272 Thu Nov 30 2017 8:32pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Torque Converter. Actually, the bit he's referring to is a clutch that is used to lock the torque converter and thus give direct drive from engine to gearbox. It gives better response and better fuel economy apparently. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #542271 Thu Nov 30 2017 8:32pm
tom0311

Ah thank you. I thought it might have meant that, but I had no idea what it actually does so assumed I was wrong. Wasn't aware it could be involved in idling when in neutral. Cheers!

Post #542273 Thu Nov 30 2017 8:35pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Not quite the same issue, but the idle on mine sometimes fluctuates when stationary, I think it is related to the air con. if I switch it off it doesn't do it so much but the warmer the air temp the more pronounced it is, not sure air temp would be a factor over there just now. While driving absolutely no problems and no fault codes, doesn't feel like it is going to stall either.

Cheers
Col

Post #542281 Thu Nov 30 2017 9:23pm
tom0311

Happened again yesterday after about 1hr 20 mins. Idling really badly after approaching traffic. Few blips on the loud pedal and all fine again. Didn't happen on the return journey. Are there any other symptoms of a TC or TC clutch issue that I could look out for, by any chance?

Cheers all.

Post #542749 Wed Dec 06 2017 9:03am
tom0311

Happened 4 times on Saturday while on a 60 mile each way trip. Didn't cut out once, but terrible at idle. Didn't recover as fast as last time either.

I found a test on this forum where you can bring the revs up to 2000 while in D with the foot brake on. My car didn't stall when I tried it, so maybe it's not the torque converter after all Yawn

Post #543143 Mon Dec 11 2017 10:57am
syl

United Kingdom 

I had a 4.2 supercharged engine in a Jag. It stalled about twice a year, and threatened to once or twice more. Never found out why. Kept it for about 6 years and 60k miles. Always when the engine was warm and coasting to a stop. Thought it got better when I had the servo replaced, but turns out it don't. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #543174 Mon Dec 11 2017 4:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1