RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > DPF problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

timhum

United Kingdom 

This all brings back some unpleasant memories from 2010. I bought a Jaguar XF 3.0d S, so very similar motor to our RRSs. All good for 30k miles and then the dpf issues began. I started getting the warning light which would not clear and then engine would go into restricted mode. In conjunction with this the oil level rose above the full level so indicating oil dilution. The car was recovered 6 times, the last time from Geneva whilst returning from holiday. This was usually after 2/3k miles. I was initially told the problem was due to driving style even though I was making three 160 miles round trips a week on mostly dual carriageway/ motorway. Jaguar engineers took the vehicle away but couldn't replicate as they didn't drive enough miles to replicate the issue although one of them did sympathise with me but didn't know what to do. All that was being done to the car was a forced regeneration which kept it going for a little longer. After the Geneva recovery I told them I did n't want to see the car again. I had made contact with the MD, Ralph Speth (?). The result was that the dealer took the car back and I received retail price for it plus a large discount off another car. The reason for getting the retail price was that the car was now 18 months old and had high mileage. I used the discount to get an Evoque which was a pretty new model and was not being discounted. That resulted in a couple of years trouble free and low depreciation motoring.
After my experiences all this time ago it seems pretty terrible that some cars seem to be having the same
Tim

Post #538915 Sun Oct 22 2017 5:33pm
Hog

Netherlands 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

pff this sounds pretty alarming. looks like dpf cars are not suitable for normal daily use. redicules! RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux
RRS 3.0 TDV6 gone
LR 3 HSE V8 gone
DiscoveryII V8 Gone
Discovery 1 V8 Gone
Mustang Shelby
Alfa Guilia (classic)

Post #541395 Sun Nov 19 2017 8:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
timhum

United Kingdom 

In all fairness when we bought a VW Polo a while ago the saleperson did ask us our intended mileage in it and commented that for short journeys diesel might not be the best choice. LR have not done this to date presumbly because they had no petrol vehicles to offer.
Tim

Post #541397 Sun Nov 19 2017 8:40pm
IRBails

Australia 

DFP's can be cleaned and renewed when blocked. There are a lot of DFP cleaning services available in Aus. mainly for trucks but cleaning is a lot less expensive than replacement. I did a lot of investigation on DFP replacement when I had the R50, it had 2 and the dealer price was $1500 each. There were also options of taking them off altogether and remapping the ECU. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #541508 Mon Nov 20 2017 9:26pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

But why should we have to do this. My personal belief is that LR have a software issue that they can't resolve which is causing over frequent regeneration on some but not all cars. I looked into dpf cleaning and removal, neither was economic and may well cause mot and/or warranty issues.
Present car has covered 9k miles with many short journeys and one longer one per week. So far no problems.
Tim

Post #541512 Mon Nov 20 2017 10:18pm
bluestone

United Kingdom 

timhum wrote:
This all brings back some unpleasant memories from 2010. I bought a Jaguar XF 3.0d S, so very similar motor to our RRSs. All good for 30k miles and then the dpf issues began. I started getting the warning light which would not clear and then engine would go into restricted mode. In conjunction with this the oil level rose above the full level so indicating oil dilution. The car was recovered 6 times, the last time from Geneva whilst returning from holiday. This was usually after 2/3k miles. I was initially told the problem was due to driving style even though I was making three 160 miles round trips a week on mostly dual carriageway/ motorway. Jaguar engineers took the vehicle away but couldn't replicate as they didn't drive enough miles to replicate the issue although one of them did sympathise with me but didn't know what to do. All that was being done to the car was a forced regeneration which kept it going for a little longer. After the Geneva recovery I told them I did n't want to see the car again. I had made contact with the MD, Ralph Speth (?). The result was that the dealer took the car back and I received retail price for it plus a large discount off another car. The reason for getting the retail price was that the car was now 18 months old and had high mileage. I used the discount to get an Evoque which was a pretty new model and was not being discounted. That resulted in a couple of years trouble free and low depreciation motoring.
After my experiences all this time ago it seems pretty terrible that some cars seem to be having the same
Tim

Do you by any chance have an email address for Ralph Speth? I was planning relentless escalation with JLR on the new year and would like to cc Dr Speth. MY16 (65) RRS, HSE, White, 21" 507s, Pan/Black Roof, 7 Seats, Ebony/Cirrus, Surround Cams, Fully Color Coded

Post #543669 Mon Dec 18 2017 3:01pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Bluestone, out of interest is your car a 2016 with Adblue or pre-Adblue? If it has Adblue does it consume a lot or hardly any because I wonder if you have a problem with the additive system of your car has one. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #543674 Mon Dec 18 2017 3:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bluestone

United Kingdom 

Hi Tim
Mine is the adblue version. I have only had to top it up once when the car was 3 months old. I have never had levels drop sufficiently to trigger a warning light since then. I imagine this is because the Adblue must get topped up each time it is recovered, and given that is a weekly occurrence it may never have a chance to run low.

Good point though. I will ask the dealers if they have needed to top it up. MY16 (65) RRS, HSE, White, 21" 507s, Pan/Black Roof, 7 Seats, Ebony/Cirrus, Surround Cams, Fully Color Coded

Post #543678 Mon Dec 18 2017 4:40pm
IRBails

Australia 

timhum wrote:
But why should we have to do this. My personal belief is that LR have a software issue that they can't resolve which is causing over frequent regeneration on some but not all cars. I looked into dpf cleaning and removal, neither was economic and may well cause mot and/or warranty issues.
Present car has covered 9k miles with many short journeys and one longer one per week. So far no problems.
Tim

I would agree that this is a firmware issue or a faulty sender somewhere in the system. it is quite obvious that the dealers have little idea how a diesel engine works , you cannot block a DFP in a week of normal driving even if the motor was over fueled. This isn't driving style. Trouble is today dealers don't have technicians working for them anymore, the techs are just fault code readers and parts re placers they have no skill in diagnostics . M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #543701 Mon Dec 18 2017 10:01pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

bluestone wrote:
timhum wrote:
Tim

Do you by any chance have an email address for Ralph Speth? I was planning relentless escalation with JLR on the new year and would like to cc Dr Speth.

This is the address I used, don't know if it still works but its worth a try. He replied to me very promptly.

ralf.speth@jaguarlandrover.com

Tim

Post #543710 Tue Dec 19 2017 12:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12