RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Ceiling Rattle 'n Buzz
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Quasimoto

United States 
Ceiling Rattle 'n Buzz

I'm coming up on 5K miles and have noticed a new rattle/buzzing sound coming from the rear passenger area when driving over slightly rough pavement or light gravel. At first I thought one of those rear passenger seat belt "keepers" had come loose from the belt and was rattling against the rear seat (something which happens occasionally). I did a quick check in the back while parked and couldn't find anything loose. Hmmm. With my wife behind the wheel I sat in the back seat and discovered that the noise was coming from the ceiling. If I applied pressure to the ceiling with my hand the noise stopped. Appears the ceiling panel is ill-fitted, though there's no visible sign of it. Embarrassing that a car of this price and built for off-roading buzzes like a cheap Ford (there! I said it!) when driving on a country road. And I know the dealer in the city will give me the "we can't hear any rattle, sir" routine, as there are only smooth road surfaces in their vicinity. Mad

Anyone else hear ceiling noise? -QM

Post #5345 Thu Nov 17 2005 1:33pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I don't myself but I have noticed the roof lining is actually quite flimsy. Seems to be fitted fine but if you press it, there's lots of travel into the ceiling void. Do you think the rattling you're getting could be in the wiring loom that supplies the roof aerial? I imagine that runs through the ceiling void above the lining. I guess it depends on where you press it and the rattling stops...

Cheers
Steve 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #5347 Thu Nov 17 2005 2:32pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

There has to be some space in there to allow for wiring, relays etc, plus for storage of drugs Cool L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #5352 Thu Nov 17 2005 3:25pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I keep mine in the third cup holder in the back - no-one will ever find them in there!! Laughing 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #5359 Thu Nov 17 2005 3:48pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

No, no Shmoggle, that's what the tiny cut-out with the cover on the right side of the boot space is for................................. I thought that was where all RRS owners hid their stash. Laughing

I have a rattle that is in the top section of the rear hatch - rattles over rough roads and whenever I open the glass section of the hatch, when whatever it is rolls up the gap between the inner and out skins of the lifting section. I will live with it until the car goes in for it's first service. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #5361 Thu Nov 17 2005 3:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Quasimoto

United States 

RRUK wrote:
There has to be some space in there to allow for wiring, relays etc, plus for storage of drugs Cool

I'm thinking that the rattle might be just that -- a wire running between the ceiling panel and the roof Rolling Eyes -QM

Post #5413 Fri Nov 18 2005 2:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1