RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Infotainment system on my 2017 AB doing my head in
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

mikef

United Kingdom 
Infotainment system on my 2017 AB doing my head in

I dont consider myself to be particularly tech savvy but I dont consider myself to be a technophobe either. However several aspects of the infotainment system on my new 2017 AB are driving me nuts. Can anyone help me with these issues

1) I have signed up for the InControl Remote and Apps on my iPhone but for some reason I can't sign in to Route using the same password. I have tried deleting and downloading the Route app twice now but each time it rejects my password. Any ideas?

2) Why doesnt the car connect automatically to Apps every time I connect my phone (via a USB cable) to the car? Every time I get in the car and connect the phone I have to go through a process of opening the Apps page on the phone and clicking on the prompt before the phone connects to the Apps menu on the screen. And then if I happen to go to another app on the phone, it loses its connection with the L-R Apps. This is so user unfriendly, its crazy. I've given up using the Apps menu because of this

3) When I open the Navigation page, why do I get a prompt to sign in every time? Sign in to what? I have tried signing in using the same email and password I use to signing in to Remote and Apps and it doesnt want to know. So how do I sign in to the Nav page and what do I get if I do?

4) How does Traffic work? I understand that my phone has to be connected to the car and the Personal Hotspot switched on (at least thats what the dealer told me) but Traffic only seems to work some of the time. Any ideas why?

5) I have tried installing a SIM card in the SIM card slot several times but the car says it can't read the card. Any idea why? I'm pretty sure I've put it in the right way. What would I get anyway with a SIM card installed

Before anyone says, I have tried looking at the instruction manual before posting this but I cant find answers to the above. As I said the infotainment is so user unfriendly that I'm actually starting to pine for the medieval infotainment system on my old 2014 HSE which at least had the merit of being relatively simple, albeit crap

Post #540685 Sun Nov 12 2017 10:03pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Could I ask what iphone model you are using, and what IOS version you are using please?
Latest version is currently IOS 11.1.1 John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #540687 Sun Nov 12 2017 10:32pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Hi Johnski. iPhone SE IOS 11.1.1

Post #540694 Sun Nov 12 2017 11:12pm
Johnski

Thanks, that rules out several ideas. Rolling Eyes Embarassed John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #540697 Sun Nov 12 2017 11:34pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Mikef

I to have been through most of these issues with my new car in the last week or so, here’s what I can tell you from my experience.

Reading your post I think most of your problems lie with the SIM card not being read by the car, I read the book and notes in the car about ten times prior to installing mine, dealer said to use tweezers & take your time, there is a lot of posts on here about faulty card readers, mine seems to be working as it’s using data & I can get the live maps etc when driving. Also you have to register accounts separately for all the systems, navigation, apps & incontrol secure etc. This is a pain but it has to be done. I ended up hooking the car up to our home WiFi to finally get everything registered. You can use the same username & password for each with no problems.

Use the on line notes & guidance but if the cars telling you it can’t read the SIM card I think you’ll have to resolve that before moving forward. There are a few settings in the car you also need to activate to make it all work.

Good luck

Post #540740 Mon Nov 13 2017 8:41am
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Not sure what is going on but the Remote and Planner Apps are 2 different systems, the Route App is a LR interface to a Here system and they both need you be registered with a Userid and password.

You use the same ones, but you are connecting to 2 different systems.

Somewhere in the in car menus there is a sub menu to login, cannot remember where!

I thought the in car sim and using a phone's hotspot gave the same facilities? 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #540741 Mon Nov 13 2017 8:41am
mikef

United Kingdom 

m13lky wrote:

Reading your post I think most of your problems lie with the SIM card not being read by the car, I read the book and notes in the car about ten times prior to installing mine, dealer said to use tweezers & take your time,

Many thanks for your help. First I found that the diagram next to the SIM card reader of how the SIM card should be loaded is very misleading. It suggests that you load the SIM with the short side down when in fact its the other way up. Even then when I loaded the card the correct way up, it still wouldnt read my card. But having read your post and against my better judgement(!) I have just pushed the SIM card into the reader a bit harder using a small screwdriver and hey presto it works. And yes the Traffic advice is now working

The question is why didnt Traffic work when my phone was cabled up to the car and the personal hotspot switched on, as advised by the dealer? I suppose I dont care any more

Thanks also for the advice on registering accounts separately. I have to say that this is all ridiculously user unfriendly. I cannot imagine a typical driver like my wife bothering to find her way through the various systems. In fact talking about my wife, I have just bought her a new Q5 and on that car all the nav, traffic and iTunes compatibility works straight out of the box, and without a separate SIM card or cabling the phone to the car, so why can't it do so on a car like the RRS costing twice as much? Penny pinching by L-R or just still behind on the technological curve?

Post #540753 Mon Nov 13 2017 12:38pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Glad you got it sorted. Yes our previous bmws have all had the ict fully loaded up & working from the dealer & the owner only needs to register one account, JLR obviously don’t like making things easy for their clients!

Post #540754 Mon Nov 13 2017 12:44pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Markf is your sim etc still working ok? I gave mine the kiss of death on here, car was in for some minor unrelated mechanical work at supplying dealer, when I got it back SIM card is now not reading? Removed sim & tried in loan discovery set up & used data with no problems, spoke to dealer they don’t have a clue? Now with JLR technical, seems a big coincidence but checked the data usage on our account & it was using data daily until it went into the dealership, would seem like a faulty card reader now! Big Cry

Post #541018 Thu Nov 16 2017 11:38am
Johnski

Do you have to shut down or similar before removing SIM card? On some units this causes problems and loss of data if not done correctly, not sure how integrated in RRS . John

Post #541041 Thu Nov 16 2017 3:06pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Nothing in handbook but that doesn’t mean much with JLR, worked fine for around a week, stopped working when the car was at dealers, no one touched sim, when I removed it when I got the car back was all in the same way round, pushed right home etc. Must be a coincidence, sim set up fine and worked in loan car after I removed from RRS, moved it back into RRS & hey presto nothing, just keeps saying reading sim on ict system. Waiting on JLR technical getting back to me about master reset, won’t hold my breath!

Post #541043 Thu Nov 16 2017 3:13pm
IRBails

Australia 

Why is it only iphone that these systems work for, again RR has picked the worst technology to use. Most of the good tech car manufacturers allow the use of either android or apple devices. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #541099 Thu Nov 16 2017 9:18pm
Johnski

The problem hasn't been with Apple it's been with the third party programs used by LR not working when IOS was upgraded to v11.0 One problem was everything now has to be 64 bit and several programs used by LR Service 32 bit and weren't upgraded in time. Plus some other software problems with LR programs, which again is a bought in product!
Nothing wrong with Apple or iPhone or iPad unless it is an older version which cannot run IOS 11.1.1
Most companies and industry use Apple products, computers etc. Nothing wrong with it, but as ever, Put Rubbish in, rubbish comes out.

I cannot answer why JLR decided to only use Apple (iPhone)and not use Android as well, presume because total number of mobile phones in use, is still Apple iPhones. John

Post #541101 Thu Nov 16 2017 9:38pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

m13lky wrote:
Markf is your sim etc still working ok?

Yes, mainly. I have noticed that if the SIM cant get a signal immediately after start up it wont get a signal at all for the whole journey ie the 3 dots keep flashing all the time. I have found that turning Data Roaming off then on again seems to reboot it

I have also managed finally to sign into the Route app on my iPhone but I cant find a way of transferring a route to the car. In any case the app is pretty useless because the map is so small that editing a route is a PITA

Another really weird glitch I have found is that after connecting my phone to Apps and removing it from the car at the end of the journey, iTunes will suddenly start playing often many hours later which can be embarrassing in the middle of a business meeting. Thats happened 4 or 5 times now so its not finger trouble

Post #541209 Fri Nov 17 2017 10:19pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The Route Planner App is a waste of time IMHO.

I use my laptop to create routes and send them to the car, you can maintain your list of destinations by adding and deleting them and this will sync with the car.

You can also build up a route of several way-points.

Finally you can link through to the Map Updates, there was a new one added yesterday!! 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #541211 Fri Nov 17 2017 10:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>