RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Replacing Fuel Tank Cover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

jcw

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Java Black
Replacing Fuel Tank Cover

Looking for advice or ideally the workshop instructions on replacing the steel fuel tank cover / protector - mine is now pretty rusty.

Checking the D3 site suggests the cover & fuel tank are lowered together when undoing the mounting bolts?

2006 SC.

Thanks

Post #488445 Sun Feb 21 2016 9:31pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

As you are talking about an SC please don't go blowing yourself up now will you Laughing

Assuming you have facilities to take the necessary precautions - the pages of the workshop manual relating to fuel tank removal are in my gallery here: (you'll need to be using something that can read and display pdf files)

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...l%20SC.pdf

I've not had to do this either but it looks as if the 'cover/protector' (Land Rover call it a 'cradle') sits under the tank and supports it so you may have to find a clever way of supporting the tank whilst unbolting the cradle which is held to the chassis with 6 bolts.

How about three friends - while you watch from a safe distance Rolling with laughter

The following is an abstract from the system description but annoyingly doesn't say if the tank is attached to cradle - implies it isn't though?

"The fuel tank is located on the right hand side of the vehicle, between the transmission and the right hand chassis longitudinal.
The tank is located on a mounting cradle which secures the whole fuel tank assembly to the vehicle. The tank has a useable capacity of 88.1 liters (23.2 US gallons).
The cradle is attached to the chassis with six screws. When the cradle is attached to the chassis, the tank is positively secured via foam pads which bear against the central chassis cross beam. A protective cover is fitted to the front right hand corner of the tank and provides additional protection.
The fuel tank is manufactured from moulded plastic which is a minimum of 3 mm thick. The tank is a sealed unit with the only internal access being via the pump module flange aperture on the top of the tank."

Good luck - hope it works out.
P. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #488511 Mon Feb 22 2016 6:12pm
jcw

Bow down thanks Paddi, thats cetainly given me a good idea of whats involved, will get the fire proof suit out! Very Happy

As its just the cover I'm replacing, I'll try & work out a way of supporting the tank in situ whilst unbolting & sliding out the cover / cradle. Will also run the car down to as empty as possible to keep the weight down.

Will report back once I've given this a go...

Post #488530 Mon Feb 22 2016 8:00pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

That pdf from Paddi is incomplete. Full one here:
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...20tank.pdf

Note that it mentions, towards the end, a fuel tank bracket which appears, to me at least, to wrap over the tank and fix it to the lower metal cradle. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #488544 Mon Feb 22 2016 9:05pm
jcw

Thanks for the extra pages - still not conclusive to me at least whether the cover can be removed without lowering the entire tank, assuming it can somehow be supported in place after loosening / removing the six bolts. Those are also very rusty so am fully anticipating them being a Censored to remove in any case. This job will no doubt keep me entertained for an afternoon...

Post #488687 Tue Feb 23 2016 7:20pm
duncmc

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Tonga Green

I have got to do the same job on my diesel Sport.

Have you managed to fit the new tank cradle yet? And did you end up dropping the whole tank.?

I am sure I managed to find a thread somewhere where somebody had changed one without dropping the whole tank but I will be darned if I can find it now!

Post #494100 Thu Apr 21 2016 7:46pm
jcw

I've not had a chance to tackle this job just yet so unable to confirm I'm afraid - based on the workshop guide, I'm guessing the entire tank will need to be lowered before the cover can be removed.

Post #494169 Fri Apr 22 2016 6:05pm
duncmc

Thanks.

I am not ready to do mine just yet. I only filled up last week so I need to run the level in the tank right down first.

I will post back after I have done it to let you know how I got on. (I have got to change the rear propshaft this weekend weather permitting).

Post #494173 Fri Apr 22 2016 6:49pm
duncmc

To finally update this post.

I have just finished changing the fuel tank support cradle.

I had ran the tank down to around 40miles of fuel remaining. So that's about 1.5 gallons. Then I managed to remove the old rusted out cover without removing the tank. I used a ratchet strap to help support the tank whilst doing the swap over.

The exhaust heat sheild needs to be removed covering the propshaft. And there is a plastic cover on top of the the tank to be removed (2x 8mm bolts) at the front near the back of the transfer box. Then there is a cable to be uncliped in that area too. The heat shield covers up one of the retaining bolts.

It's all fairly self evident when you have the new tank cradle to look at.

I do need to buy 2 new 10mm captive spring nuts because they have rusted through. Those are the two on the outer chassis rail. Part number KYH500100.

Otherwise it's pretty straigh tforward. All done on my drive with the car on the offroad supsension setting.

Post #512555 Sun Dec 18 2016 6:19pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Nice work Thumbs Up

Thanks for completing the thread. Will be useful reference for the future as no doubt others will have this problem as the ferrous oxide lightening process continues to take hold. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #512615 Mon Dec 19 2016 5:02pm
calirvr

United States 2010 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 S Santorini Black

Hello,

Wanted to see if anyone knows if this is a similar application for the 2010 RRS non sc? Also, could not open the second pdf for the complete file.

Thanks!

Post #540902 Wed Nov 15 2017 12:10am
HEFF

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

i got fuel gauge problem im guessing i will need to do this to my 07 tdv6 to check connections to sender or replace it.can this be done with out the truck in the air

Post #570721 Sat Dec 08 2018 11:39pm
JonnyCJ

United Kingdom 
Thread resurrection!

I have a habit of buying cars and immediately looking for jobs to do to keep me entertained.

I pick up the 4.2 on Saturday and one of the jobs will be to take off the fuel tank cradle, get it blasted, zinc primed and powder coated and then coat the road side with Dynax S50.

Appreciate that it’s been a while since this thread was last posted on, but would appreciate guidance from those in the know. The links above don’t seem to work.

My underside is extremely clean and I’d like to keep it that way before the salt gets to it.

Cheers

Jonny

Post #631302 Thu Mar 02 2023 10:17pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

You can download the workshop manual from here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/yunzrqm47py4pww/RRSL320WSM2006.pdf

The links above were just excerpts from that manual. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #631317 Fri Mar 03 2023 11:07am
JonnyCJ

United Kingdom 

Many thanks - that’ll come in handy !

Post #631318 Fri Mar 03 2023 11:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>