RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > 2x MY17 problems solved...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Jimbo095

United Kingdom 
2x MY17 problems solved...

So, I have resolved my irritating SVR rattles from the rear and can't believe there is nobody out there who's experienced similar, given the demo and my car both did it!? The sales chap suggested it was a trait butit was awful, like rattling trim noise at certain revs, it had to be fixable! It turns out the noise was emanating from expanding metal around the heat shield and the associated exhaust brackets coming together just slightly. Both sides did it but were triggered at different temps and rev range, accelerating or decelerating, somewhat spoiling the aural enjoyment! A little tweak by a competent friend and it's now completely sorted and unwelcome noise free!

The other irritant was not having favourite radio stations showing on the ICTP screen permanently so you can 'flick' between them without having to keep pressing favorites between each station selection. Solution, you can import each radio station, DAB or otherwise to your custom home screen and adjust the box size to your preference, a positive for ICTP...

Post #516266 Mon Jan 30 2017 9:43am
Sooze

United Kingdom 

Hi,
I think I might have the same rattle issue with my (recently acquired) SVR, I’ve pinned mine down as follows:

• Doesn’t happen until the car is warm – over ½ hr into journey.

• Sounds like a ‘light metal’ thrum or ‘tink, tink, tink’ if that makes sense?

• Sounds like it’s coming from rear of vehicle – boot/exhaust, possibly more from passenger side.

• Doesn’t happen when revving engine in park.

• Most noticeable when driving ‘enthusiastically’ – dynamic plus sport and accelerating - especially up hills and cornering.

Is that similar to your issue? If yes can you give me more info on the fix, it’s going in tomorrow to get looked at and I thought I’d trawl the forum in case it was a ‘known issue’.

TIA.

(Long time lurker, first post, SVR is my 3rd RRS)

Post #539856 Wed Nov 01 2017 8:57am
Jimbo095

United Kingdom 

Hi, the issue sounds exactly the same as I had, thought it was tailgate but no, more simple thankfully! You’ll see two brackets/clips attached the tailpipes/back box, one each side. I think they must heat and expand then vibrate off the exhaust when under load. Easy fix, you just bend bracket where it’s nearest the exhaust a bit further away from the exhaust so they can’t touch it et voila! You’ll find if you do one side the other will make noise so best do both at same time! If you push the bracket toward the exhaust at idle you’ll hear the noise but to a lesser degree than when driving. Completely sorted the noise and my irritation! Best of luck sorting, makes a big difference to the aural enjoyment when done! Top tip, don’t burn your hands so do when cold if poss!

Post #539857 Wed Nov 01 2017 9:20am
Sooze

United Kingdom 

Brilliant Very Happy thanks for that.

I’ve lurked here on and off for the past 7yrs, visiting when I’ve had issues with my vehicles, and never failed to find info to take to my dealer to point them in the direction of a fix.

Thought it was time to post now I’m on my 3rd RRS and I can’t see me moving to anything else in the foreseeable future!

Post #539863 Wed Nov 01 2017 10:32am
SVR575

United Kingdom 

If i read it right i don't think Jimbo had it fixed at LR it was done by someone far more competent. Thumbs Up SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #539866 Wed Nov 01 2017 10:43am
Jimbo095

United Kingdom 

Indeed, it was a self fix! Sure I'd have had a much more long winded affair had it gone back to the Dealer!

Post #539872 Wed Nov 01 2017 11:17am
Chris-52

United Kingdom 

Is this a specific SVR issue, because I have a constant rattle in my 17 Autobiography, which sounds like the tailgate? Is seems to start straightaway on the terrible Surrey roads rather than waiting for it to warm up. It’s driving me bonkers. The car is so quiet and fault-free 🤞otherwise.

Post #539907 Wed Nov 01 2017 4:30pm
Jimbo095

United Kingdom 

Can’t comment on autobiography but as SVR exhausts are specific but wouldn’t surprise me if it happens on other models?

Post #539908 Wed Nov 01 2017 4:35pm
JPR

United Kingdom 

WOW more of this, when we got our SVR brand new march 2016 it did this from the off, went back into LR before I took the dealer principle out for a drive and said if you dont fix it, its going back. Low and behold he stood with the technicians until it was diagnosed and fixed and can confirm it is the heat shield rattling against exhaust. Current

McLAren 720s
2019 G63 AMG
2018 Bentayga

---------------------------------------------
Previous

2019 AMG GTR
2018 Urban SVR
2018 Urban FFRR
2018 AMG E63s Edition1
2018 SVR Rejected from Stratstone Teesside !
2017 G63 AMG 463 Edition
2017 M3 CP
2017 C63s AMG Edition 1 Motorsport
2016 RRS SVR
2016 Bentley GT Speed 626
2015 Audi RS6
2015 FFRR
2014 Bentley GTC V8
2014 Audi RS7
2011 Lumma CLR GT558
2014 BMW M3 F80
2010 BMW X5
2006 FFRR SC
2005 RRS HSE

Post #539980 Thu Nov 02 2017 2:06pm
Jimbo095

United Kingdom 

Yep, heatshield and/our associated bracket. Couldn’t remember the name of it, nice one.. Terrible that it’s not been picked up on but then again I’ve never owned a car that had so many technical glitches either. The cameras malfunctioned, parking speakers distorted, Spotify worked about 50% of the time, whole incomtrol pro just switched off occasionally. Plenty of other things which has really put me off JLR future ownership...

Post #540004 Thu Nov 02 2017 3:15pm
Sooze

United Kingdom 

Car back from the dealers and not quite the same problem, but your info did help with regards to where to look.

Brackets were fine, but the heat shied below the deployable tow bar had dropped, and it looks like that is most likely to have been causing the rattle sound, so fingers crossed it’s sorted. Need to take it out for a blast to test it now Cool

Post #540019 Thu Nov 02 2017 5:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1