RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Sorry..... Jacking up question...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Jampot1979

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black
Sorry..... Jacking up question...

Hi, I need to remove the front passenger wheel as I want to clean up/paint the brembos caliper as it looks horrible.

Anyway, I am completely confused after reading many posts on here on what is the correct procedure etc.

I know the standard scissor jack is not the best. I do have some heavy duty axle stands to assist.

Am I right in saying that I have to set suspension to off-road height, and leave the tailgate hatch open?

Post #539232 Thu Oct 26 2017 8:29am
Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I've no idea why folk have decided that it needs to be complicated to jack these cars up as it's not, if you read the manual there is nothing in there that says anything about changing the vehicles height or leaving doors or the boot open.

Leaving a door open stops the vehicle from trying to auto level itself (Not sure if this is a global thing, but my vehicle still levels itself with the boot open), so there is a small chance that if your jack isn't seated correctly, that the vehicle trying to level itself could make the jack slip. That being said, if you've seated the jack properly in the first place then that's not an issue.

I personally put the vehicle into off-road height (simply to allow more room under the vehicle to place the jack), apply the park brake, jack the vehicle up, place the axle stand/s and then get on with whatever I need to do.

Post #539235 Thu Oct 26 2017 8:50am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

And don’t forget to put the wedge in place on the diagonally opposite wheel! I agree a lot of guff has been posted about opening doors and tailgate and last time I had my car in a tyre Bay I asked the fitter why he opened the tailgate and he gave the usual story about self levelling so I showed him it made no difference and that it isn’t mentioned in the manual. With regards to opening the passenger/ driver doors the only reason I could see for opening them is that some trolley jacks when being pumped up can come very close to the door skins and could either give the operator some bruised knuckles of the owner some dents in the door panels and I agreed with my guy that leaving the doors nearest the jack open was probably a good idea to prevent the possibility of damage to the doors.
There are , however, issues over the safety of the supplied jack - it really isn’t up to supporting the weight of the car and can slip on some surfaces, I got round that when I had L320 RRS’s by carrying a sheet of 2mm plywood as a base for the jack, the weight of the car on the jack forced the ply to distort and grip better on the ground surface. I wouldn’t recommend leaving the car on that jack any longer than is necessary to change a wheel after a puncture, axle stands or a proper trolly jack are much safer for any longer. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #539238 Thu Oct 26 2017 9:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Danv8

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Alaska White

I always thought it was the opposite, lower the suspension then lock in in place before jacking up. I got told this by the service guy at Land Rover as it can prevent damage to the air bags.

Don't shoot the messenger its just what i got told.

Post #539239 Thu Oct 26 2017 9:41am
Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

The door preventing the vehicle from raising/lowering or trying to self level is a safety feature, it prevents anything or anyone from getting trapped/pinned either above or below the door, it also prevents accidental damage.

Post #539242 Thu Oct 26 2017 9:47am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Simple really. Trolley or bottle jack on the jacking points as indicated in the manual. Axle stand immediately adjacent the jacking point. Job done. Opening a door will prevent suspension movement - try selecting a height change with the doors anything other than fully shut and you'll see. Can't say I've had a problem with suspension movement when lifted anyway.

Use the LR jack only as an emergency road side tool. It's not a workshop tool!

You can apparently jack under the lower suspension arm where it meets the upright but I've never tried it. This avoids having to lift the body through the full suspension movement. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #539371 Thu Oct 26 2017 8:05pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

I usually jack under suspension arms & ive never altered suspension settings & never had a suspension issue.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #539376 Thu Oct 26 2017 8:16pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

If you have your hazards on and drivers door closed you can alter suspension with fob, or terrain control rise/ fall, with ignition either on or off, but none of other three doors effect the suspension on 2011-2013 models according to the users handbook.
It seems the critical thing is “hazard warning lights” on, which are normally on, when changing wheel for puncture at roadside or broken down. . John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #539381 Thu Oct 26 2017 8:27pm
MartinsTDV8

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

I’m pretty sure you have to raise it up, open a side door, then take off one of your shoes and a sock, let one of your testicles hang out. Then I belive it is safe to remove the wheel. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Previously owned 1999 Disco 2 TD5
Disco 3 HSE TDV6 2007
Gone 2007 TDV8 RRS1 in Buckingham Blue.

How do know if the knocking at the front has been sorted?

You can hear the knocking at the rear better

Post #539387 Thu Oct 26 2017 9:26pm
sweetafton

England 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Hey Martin think it’s both testicles out mate. Ha ha. Best one I’ve seen in a long time. Thumbs Up Bow down Rolling with laughter MY11 Autobiography supercharged. Santorini Black. Monaco interior. Rear screens. Privacy.
Gone MY08 Supercharged HST. Java black. Ivory premium interior. Rear screens. Privacy. Missed a lot.
Gone MY04 Discovery V8 Petrol ES Premium. Awesome.

Post #539389 Thu Oct 26 2017 9:50pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Nah, testicles out only applies to the 5.0SC. The diesels just require a trouser leg to be rolled up.

There's a TSB about it somewhere...

Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #539391 Thu Oct 26 2017 9:53pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Shocked Shocked Laughing Steve.

Post #539392 Thu Oct 26 2017 9:55pm
garrycol

Australia 

Danv8 wrote:
I always thought it was the opposite, lower the suspension then lock in in place before jacking up.

Locking the suspension at access height stops the system from pumping up but there is nothing in the system that stops the wheels coming down under gravity when the car is jacked up.

The car has to be lifted up a far way to get the wheel off the ground when using the standard jacking points and this takes a lot of effort with a hand jack - so why not let the car do most of the work and raise it up as much as possible to minimise the manual effort when doing the final jack off the ground.

Opening doors an boots etc stops the vehicle height being changed - it does not stop the vehicle adjusting its level - even if it does on a jack - is not really an issue as it is only a few mm.

So if using the standard jack positions - raise the car to max (chock wheels) and jack and then put stands under for safety. Alternatively use a suitable jack under the suspension arms and jack then put stands - as you are lifting the wheel directly there is no need to raise the vehicle first as the jack is lifting the wheel directly and noy through the suspension.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #539399 Fri Oct 27 2017 4:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1