RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Test fuel burn heater?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

NeilRRS

United Kingdom 
Test fuel burn heater?

Is there a way to test the fuel burn heater on a 2010 model?
I have the timed climate activated but does it need to be below 5 degrees before it kicks in?

Post #538734 Thu Oct 19 2017 8:59pm
RallyXS

United Kingdom 

There are quite a few factors, outside temp is one, but I think it's 10c not 5. Mine certainly seems to work to that. You also have to have enough diesel, some say over quarter a tank, but mine worked and it was just above reserve. Also, if you have a low battery it won't work, which is when some people notice their battery is shot. Enough to start the car but not enough to pass the parameter to turn the heating on.

It really is very good when used right, the timer is 20 minutes and it is just starting to get toasty after that long. 2012 RRS SDV6
2014 BMW 320d X-Drive Touring
1999 VW Polo stage rally car

Post #538738 Thu Oct 19 2017 9:36pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Can be primed with fuel and test fired using IId tool regardless of outside temp to test Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #538744 Thu Oct 19 2017 10:01pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver
Re: Test fuel burn heater?

NeilRRS wrote:
Is there a way to test the fuel burn heater on a 2010 model?
I have the timed climate activated but does it need to be below 5 degrees before it kicks in?
l

The FBH can be put in a test mode with some code testers. My local Indie did this for me recently (for nomcharge) as my remote control stopped working. But then they did install the remote.

I believe that the test then ignores the parameters that might prevent it starting (low fuel, too high ambient temp etc.) and confirms if the heater is ok. I guess this would also work for the timed heater option.

In my case they confirmed heater was ok and also that the remote unit in the car was fine. It just needed disconnecting from power, a 30 second wait, and then reconnecting to get it working properly again. (They did complain about the clouds of black smoke that enveloped their garage when they did get it going. It seems that the heater was being primed but not firing up and so a significant quantity of fuel needed to be expunged)😊 Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #538747 Thu Oct 19 2017 10:09pm
NeilRRS

United Kingdom 

Buckster wrote:
Can be primed with fuel and test fired using IId tool regardless of outside temp to test Thumbs Up

Do you know the proceedure for this as I now have an IID tool. The method I tried just said to start the engine of the car and then I just heard the fan kick in. Didn’t know if I have to prime it first etc. Would be better to test with engine off too.

Post #538766 Fri Oct 20 2017 6:55am
Eaters

I'm sure Buckster will have the definitive answer but I don't recall my Indie starting the engine, they may (or may not) have switched the ignition on but that's all. It took about 10 minutes to complete the test Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #538769 Fri Oct 20 2017 7:14am
Smarttech

United Kingdom 

Will it not come on when using the remote if outside temp is above the set value as I tried mine the other day and it wouldn't come on.
Wasn't sure if it had to be below 10 degrees even if using remote for it to work. 2017 SVR. SVO Scafell grey Ebony interior
2012 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography santorini black with ebony/cirrus interior. Gone

Post #538770 Fri Oct 20 2017 7:14am
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Using the GAP Diagnostic IID BT tool, you can check and operate at any temperature.
Full details in handbook latest version is 30 when downloading. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #538797 Fri Oct 20 2017 1:38pm
Smarttech

United Kingdom 

Mine all works fine. Took the battery out of the remote to see what it was so I can get a replacement and then it worked fine.
Just need to order a new battery as it stopped again. 2017 SVR. SVO Scafell grey Ebony interior
2012 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography santorini black with ebony/cirrus interior. Gone

Post #538818 Fri Oct 20 2017 7:34pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi NeilRRS,
I thought if you had "timed climate enabled" you set the time or use the key fob if you have one and it fires up, job done Thumbs Up

no need for a preset temperature that is for when the FBH starts up to help the engine

That's how our 2010 worked, remember setting it for swmbo once, when she opened the car door she moaned it was tooooo hot inside and had to set off with the windows down as it was not as cold a morning as I thought Confused
sometimes you just can not please them Laughing

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #538824 Fri Oct 20 2017 9:03pm
Eaters

Whilst I don’t have a timed heater, I do have (as mentioned above) a remote control. I’ve used it often during the summer and it overrides the temperature restriction along the lines of riverblanche’s comment re the timed option.

My thinking is that using the remote in summer still means that the car engine warms up quicker, and on short runs that must be better for the environment. (I have no idea how much fuel the FBH uses of course so my green credentials here may be slightly tarnished). I also reckon that it must be better for my engine to get warm as quickly as possible on short runs. By short I mean the 2 miles to the gym.

If I’m wrong I am sure someone will correct me Thumbs Up Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #538830 Fri Oct 20 2017 10:26pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Only 2 miles? just run or even walk to the Gym instead, you will get fitter faster, no bad green inpact on planet earth, as you don't waste fuel and cause high emissions through running car when cold and using FBH, which doesn't go through Cat system etc. Whistle Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #538832 Fri Oct 20 2017 10:50pm
Eaters

Haha. Good point John. By the time I get to the gym I'll be too knackered to do anything - so it'd save me gym membership as well. Very Happy Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #538850 Sat Oct 21 2017 11:13am
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi, I was with you Eaters, spot on, right up to the

Eaters wrote:
the 2 miles to the gym.

Laughing

Though you must be going for the Sauna to sooth a bad back or something Whistle you could use some of your spare wheels instead of weights as well Question

as for the FBH consumption ISTR 0.4L/hour on full chat and 0.2L/hour when it steadies down, well worth it Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #538878 Sat Oct 21 2017 6:52pm
Eaters

Oh I get it. Have a go at Eaters time Exclamation
If I said it was really 4 miles and it is mainly sauna and a swim I suppose I’m too late. Confused
Oh well would love to chat but I’ve just got to jog the 8 miles to where I park my car. Wink Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #538884 Sat Oct 21 2017 10:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>