RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > How to?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
How to?

Remove the lock cover on L494 without damaging it? I have arrived home to a totally dead Sport and the plastic cover over the emergency key hole doesn’t want to budge and I don’t want to damage it trying to force it. LRA are on their way but I want at least to get into the car and remove my other antitheft devices I leave on it........... they don’t need any electricity to work so the dead battery isn’t a problem for them. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #538402 Mon Oct 16 2017 9:20am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Tim, at handover on our RRS the guy said you are to remove the key blade from the fob, insert it into a small recess under the part of the drivers door handle that comes off & gently prise it off with slight sideways pressure, I would wrap it in a cloth to stop paint damage, hope you get sorted out quickly.

Malc

Post #538404 Mon Oct 16 2017 9:27am
Tim in Scotland

Thanks Malcolm i’m About to brave the teaming rain to give that a try.

Well that worked, thanks
I’ve got in but it is a fiddly thing and now I cannot open either the glove box to get at the owners manual or open the tailgate...........
There is a small rectangular slot on the bottom of the plastic cover, placing the emergency key in it allows it to be prized off, unfold the tiny handle on the emergency key and you can turn the key in the lock then scramble over to open the passenger door from the inside - not dignified for a Range Rover owner! - to let you get into the foot well to open the bonnet to not find the battery............ which is in my un-openable boot I suspect! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #538405 Mon Oct 16 2017 9:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Tim,

Hope you get it sorted.

I did print a copy of the handbook when bought my RRS for just this kind of eventuality, but that was a pain as each page had to be printed individually! And this has just prompted me to ask if spare handbooks can be bought from LR?

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #538406 Mon Oct 16 2017 10:01am
Tim in Scotland

I’ve just googled how to open the tailgate with a dead battery........... it seems that The new Volvo XC90 and XC60 have the same issues - dead battery and neither the tailgate nor the powered glove box release can be opened judging by the number of posts on their forums when I googled the problem! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #538408 Mon Oct 16 2017 10:04am
Tim in Scotland

Violetpiano wrote:
Tim,

Hope you get it sorted.

I did print a copy of the handbook when bought my RRS for just this kind of eventuality, but that was a pain as each page had to be printed individually! And this has just prompted me to ask if spare handbooks can be bought from LR?

Jas

I think you can download it in entirety as a pdf From TOPIx if you have a subscription. LRA will be out soon, good job I don’t have to go to work 1st thing on a Monday morning........ next pressing engagement is in 3 months time so I hope they arrive before then Rolling with laughter 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #538409 Mon Oct 16 2017 10:07am
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Tim, at least you managed to get in.

Good luck with JLR!

Post #538410 Mon Oct 16 2017 10:11am
wilf

Once in the car you can open the bonnet.

As you look into the bonnet, on the LHS toward the rear just behind the suspension turret is a squarish box with a "+" moulded on its lid - that will open and is the +ve terminal to connect a 12V power source to enable you to open the tailgate. (-ve obviously goes to any decent earth point). MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #538414 Mon Oct 16 2017 11:36am
Tim in Scotland

Thanks guys,charming guy from LRA has just left, The engine turned but didn’t fire on his portable jump starter so there was a tiny bit of charge in the battery, he connected his van up via jump leads to the posts mentioned by Wilf and off she went, now to take a long drive to top up the battery.

Also learned something interesting and should be of use to all - you don’t need to buy a CTek conditioner if you are leaving the car for a while, he showed me how to connect my solar panel trickle charger to the same posts and there is a tiny gap to take the cable out through the bonnet seal, through the door seal to put the panel on top of the dash or on top of the Centre Cubby box. Maplin sells the solar chargers for £10.......... I appreciate that the CTek ones are more sophisticated but if you only want to top up while the car is parked outside then this is the skinflint’s way to do it.and I also learned not only where the battery is now hidden but also where the suspension compressor is now located........ because he thought he was going to have to remove the compressor to remove a plastic cover on the +VE terminal of the battery to get his crocodile clips on....... good design feature that Land Rover Rolling with laughter

Also did you know that MY15 and 15.5 have been the versions of RRS with the least problems for LRA? Worst are 2016 closely followed by 2017........... and most of the problems are with InControl Touch Pro.... surprise surprise!
Also In Control Secure called within 30 secs of firing up the engine to ask if the car had been stolen! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #538418 Mon Oct 16 2017 11:59am
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Wilf, I thought that info would be better sent by PM, as it is listed as a security feature.
The forum can be read by all unfortunately, if info could be blanked and say PM for help. Thumbs Up Bow down John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #538428 Mon Oct 16 2017 12:55pm
espaceboy

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Autobiography Adriatic Blue

the solar panels are pretty poor substitute for the power coming out of a ctek. I had a whopping solar panel, nearly the whole parcel shel, and in winter with heated everything and next to no daylight .....It still went flat in my L322.

Post #538466 Mon Oct 16 2017 6:57pm
wilf

Johnski wrote:
Wilf, I thought that info would be better sent by PM, as it is listed as a security feature.
The forum can be read by all unfortunately, if info could be blanked and say PM for help. Thumbs Up Bow down

Yes, I can understand that, but to actually get the bonnet open first you have to defeat the alarm to open a door or break a window and set it off anyway, so security isn't really compromised? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #538476 Mon Oct 16 2017 8:34pm
Tim in Scotland

espaceboy wrote:
the solar panels are pretty poor substitute for the power coming out of a ctek. I had a whopping solar panel, nearly the whole parcel shel, and in winter with heated everything and next to no daylight .....It still went flat in my L322.

I think the reasons we both have for wanting to condition the battery are different. I have to leave my car for 90-100 days unused, parked outside. The battery is left in 1st class condition fully charged and charging sufficiently to keep it full when the car is driven. The purpose of the solar panel charger is to replace the tiny amount of power that is lost over a month just by the systems being”Asleep” and also to replace the small current draw by security systems - I don’t have to use the car daily like you do/did. It isn’t feasible for me to leave the car parked close enough to my garage door for the CTek conditioner cable to reach the 13 amp power point. I have a CTek on my garaged Defender and as a result I have only just replaced the original 1996 OEM factory fitted battery...... they are great if you have the ability to plug it in. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #538487 Tue Oct 17 2017 7:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1