RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > More tails of locking wheel nuts.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

david007

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Vesuvius Orange
More tails of locking wheel nuts.

Well after heeding the advice given on here about ditching the locking wheel nuts due to the common problem of them separating, which just causes the top part of the nut to spin freely when you try and remove them, I thought I better change them. Well I ordered a new set of wheel nuts and the other weekend decided to swap them over. All went well until I tried to remove the last one, unfortunately I was too late as it had already failed. I had a good read of various forum threads and at the end of it I was fairly confident I would be able to remove it. One of the best threads was on the Disco3 forum http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic68161-45.html
The first method I used was cutting a slot in the wheel nut cap and hammering a washer into the slot, this method failed for me when the washer sheared, however according to my torque wrench this was at over 190lb/ft of torque.

The second method I tried once I’d removed the cap was to hammer on a bolt remover, unfortunately this method also failed, again I had over 190lb/ft of torque applied and in so doing chewed up the remaining part of the locking wheel nut quite badly. I expect for most people either of these two methods to work as the wheel nut should only be done up to 98lb/ft obviously mine were way over tightened. Finally I had to drill around the circumference of the wheel nut which removed the cap that clamped it onto the wheel, the wheel nut just spun off then, job done.

One thing in the above thread I think the cutting disc’s that are recommended are a little big at 1 ½”, the ones I used were closer to 30mm and fitted perfectly.
I would just like to reiterate what has already been posted, if you’ve not already done it replace your locking wheel nuts, hopefully before they fail.
On a foot note I was round at a friends a few days later, he’s got a Disco 3 and noticed he had the same wheel nuts, told him he was better off replacing them, again we found one that had failed, this time however when we tried to remove it the cap part just fell off, so we just hammered on the bolt remover and it came off no problem.

Post #538268 Sat Oct 14 2017 1:38pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

When this happens always tighten the nuts either side of the locker to take the pressure off it Thumbs Up

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #538269 Sat Oct 14 2017 2:01pm
david007

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Vesuvius Orange

That's a good point and I actually over torques the remaining nuts on my wheel to see if would help, but obviously in my case it didn't. I also spoke with a friend who works in a Land rover garage to see what they do, He said they sometimes get lucky if they remove all the other wheel nuts and go for a gentle drive, they have a roundabout close by and do a couple of circuits of this and come back, he said that if they made sure the top and bottom parts of the wheel nut were aligned and as long as the lugs/ cut outs on the bottom part weren't rounded off they could often remove them this way.

Post #538271 Sat Oct 14 2017 2:19pm
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

"remove all the other wheel nuts" I don't believe that for one minute, they may loosen them, but they will never remove them, that's just crazy 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #538423 Mon Oct 16 2017 1:16pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

david007 wrote:
That's a good point and I actually over torques the remaining nuts on my wheel to see if would help, but obviously in my case it didn't. I also spoke with a friend who works in a Land rover garage to see what they do, He said they sometimes get lucky if they remove all the other wheel nuts and go for a gentle drive, they have a roundabout close by and do a couple of circuits of this and come back, he said that if they made sure the top and bottom parts of the wheel nut were aligned and as long as the lugs/ cut outs on the bottom part weren't rounded off they could often remove them this way.

Shocked Shocked Steve.

Post #538426 Mon Oct 16 2017 1:29pm
shepp

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

mine did the same, rather than spending hours cursing,These guys also do excellent bits of kit for removing any wheel nuts, and if you bob over to Castleford, they will remove then in minutes. for around £15

http://www.dynomec.co.uk/ MY12 RRS HSE
Gone 4.2 supercharged RRS
Gone 90
Gone s2000

Post #538546 Tue Oct 17 2017 8:38pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Also ditch the nuts with covers for ones without.
See here for explanation
http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic161797.html Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #538550 Tue Oct 17 2017 9:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1