RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear tailgate upgrade.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 9 <123456789

ABSport

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I should be doing one again very shortly for a forum member so I'll do a write up. Thumbs Up

Post #525747 Tue May 09 2017 11:23pm
peter jensen

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Lux Alaska White

Hello. I have just imported a 2012 RRS tailgate to Australia to go on a 2010 facelift RRS. Would you able to assist with the wiring changes necessary to complete the conversion? Did you use your original loom or the later version? Did the fitment of the tailgate require removal of the headlining or were you able to undo hinges by going through the rear speaker mounts? Any information greatly appreciated.
Your car looks great, well done. jeno

Post #538172 Thu Oct 12 2017 8:25pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

You won't need to remove headlining, pull off tailgate seal and the lining will flex enough to undo the hinge retaining nuts, there are a couple off plastic clips in the centre of the headlining close to the edge of the lining, which if you just release them it allows lining to flex more. I didn't think anybody had actually got the electrics for the power operated rams working yet.

Cheers
Col

Post #538174 Thu Oct 12 2017 8:57pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

You can order the one piece tailgate 2012-13 facelift model through any LR parts supplier.
Won't be as cheap as Ebay or recycling yards, but are genuine new, you will need it sprayed to your colour etc, new set of hinges, and of course as discussed, sort the electrics out on the earlier MK1 RRS.
Some LR parts departments want a VIN number to order, but don't know why this is required. Whistle
On the 2012-2013 models there is a switch to open tailgate on the dashboard, a button on the remote fob, and the manual one to open on tailgate itself, hidden from view. There is a modification to allow electric closure from Fob and button on dash.
With fob opener, and tailgate button, you can open just the tailgate when rest of car is locked, it relocks automatically after use (closure). John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Last edited by Johnski on Thu Oct 12 2017 9:08pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #538175 Thu Oct 12 2017 9:02pm
Col

John, judging by the jeno's original post I think he already has the tailgate. Thumbs Up

Cheers
Col

Post #538176 Thu Oct 12 2017 9:06pm
Johnski

Thanks Col. my bad Embarassed
I was also trying to assist others that may require one, rather than import to U.K. from Lithuania etc. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #538177 Thu Oct 12 2017 9:10pm
Col

No problem Buddy, how's the recovery going, well I hope?. Thumbs Up

Cheers
Col

Post #538178 Thu Oct 12 2017 9:14pm
Johnski

Slowly but surely mate, thanks, hope to be able to drive again soon.
Will send you a PM to update/chat. Thumbs Up John

Post #538180 Thu Oct 12 2017 9:22pm
peter jensen

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Lux Alaska White

Thank you Col and Johnski for a quick reply. I will have the 2012 tailgate in a couple of days it is just clearing Customs at the present time. It is a complete unit from a breakers in the UK. I am fortunate to have two good mates one a panel beater the other a spray painter who assist with fitting and paint.
Col thanks for info re roof lining.
I mentioned this excursion I am about to undertake to the local service centre (Rover) and was told in a light hearted manner that I must be certifiably insane. So no help there.
What I need to know basically is
1. If the centre locking wiring for the upper tailgate is just left unhooked and taped will this produce a "tailgate not shut" on dashboard or will these wires require joining to avert this.
2. If I use the existing loom the wiring from the tailgate button should be able to be moved and probably lengthened/shortened or change coupling to fit new switch under the silver strip to allow manual activation.
3. I assume the wiring for speakers, wipers , demister etc should be the same in both wiring looms
I will be getting an auto electrician to do this job but without a bit of a heads up he will be flying blind. Also I am not going to try for the dashboard release all I would like is for the key fob to release the tailgate and manually open it with the switch.
Unfortunately RRS are not as common here in Australia as in the UK. Mods like this are unheard here.
I must tell you while I have been on the site form 2014 this is my first post. I have owned 9 Range Rovers since 1974 and absolutely love my current Sport. It is a 2010 5Lt V8 Luxury Alaska White to which I have added the autobiography front and rear bars and black and ivory seats.
This is a great site and very informative. jeno

Post #538182 Thu Oct 12 2017 10:00pm
Col

Peter, if you PM me a email address I will send you some wiring diagrams which might help your electrician if it is of any use to you.

Cheer
Col

Post #538189 Fri Oct 13 2017 1:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 9 <123456789