RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > 2017 RRS Paint Imperfections - Advice Needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Reedy

I'm in a similar position jd2uk, but my experience with both the dealer and JLR customer care have been very positive.

We collected our D300 FE Velar on the 1st of September with instructions only to wash and not polish the body work as we had arranged for a professional detailer to protect the car with Gtechniq Crystal Serum.

Unfortunately the detailer identified scratches on the bonnet and a significant patch of discoloured paint under the clear coat, further inspection using a paint depth indicator produced readings between 180 µm to 260 µm. This was significantly higher than the rest of the car showing around 130 µm suggesting the bonnet had been repaired prior to collection.

I notified the dealer and they were very sympathetic and suggested we visit their body shop for advice, again very polite and professional they confirmed the bonnet had been repaired at some point prior to collection.
They apologised and suggested a replacement bonnet be painted and fitted, unfortunately this didn't seem very attractive to me, I'm not sure I would be content with a repaired new car.

After a conversation with the dealership head of business he referred the matter to the Land Rover customer care. They very quickly made contact and suggested taking the car to their principal repair centre in Coventry for remedial work, however I declined their offer.

Just like yourself jd2uk this is a brand new 80k motor car built by one of the most prestigious manufacturers on the planet, I don't think it's unreasonable to have high expectations.

My complaint was escalated to a higher level and within 24 hours JLR and the dealer had agreed to replace the car, I think that's a real customer care Thumbs Up

Post #537887 Mon Oct 09 2017 7:33pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

An entire discoloured panel does seem a bit bad.

Did you note the VIN of the rejected Velar? The suspicious part of me wonders if they'd just change the bonnet, leave it parked in a shed for a while then redeliver it to you... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #537894 Mon Oct 09 2017 8:00pm
Reedy

It hasn't been replaced yet but I'm told within the next couple of weeks the new one should arrive.
I think JLR would have more to lose than us if they tried to shaft a punter with a dodgy swap.

Last edited by Reedy on Mon Oct 09 2017 8:47pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #537902 Mon Oct 09 2017 8:24pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Reedy wrote:
I'm in a similar position jd2uk, but my experience with both the dealer and JLR customer care have been very positive.

We collected our D300 FE Velar on the 1st of September with instructions only to wash and not polish the body work as we had arranged for a professional detailer to protect the car with Gtechniq Crystal Serum. :

I would have asked the dealer not to touch it at all,,,washing it is where all the swirls & scratches come from in the first place,,when I took delivery of my new Amarok pickup it came off the transporter pdi’d then straight to me with all the door protectors etc still on.I had the truck a week before I even noticed the clear wrap on the roof was still there.

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #537908 Mon Oct 09 2017 8:43pm
IRBails

Australia 

jd2uk wrote:
Because it's an £80k car and it should be perfect

There is no way any of these vehicles are perfect, they are off road cars designed to go bush. If you want perfect buy another brand. First time you use the 4WD down a dirt road you will have more to worry about. There are also so many other technical issues that aren't perfect such as brakes, infotainment system and so on. This is meant to be the world's best off road vehicle, that is what it was designed for, buying it as a poser vehicle is bound to disappoint. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #537921 Mon Oct 09 2017 10:24pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

^^ Rolling with laughter Whistle John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #537923 Mon Oct 09 2017 10:31pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

+1^ Rolling with laughter :roll laugh:
Some people are missing the point, what happens to the new car after you take it out is up to you but when purchased i feel it should be perfect for the new buyer. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #537937 Tue Oct 10 2017 7:57am
jd2uk

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Some people are missing the point, what happens to the new car after you take it out is up to you but when purchased i feel it should be perfect for the new buyer.

Exactly! I don't care if I chip the bonnet, kerb the alloys or scuff the bumper. It should be delivered to me in perfect condition. I've never had these issues with previous Audis, BMWs or Mercedes...

Post #537994 Tue Oct 10 2017 4:14pm
Danv8

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Alaska White

Would you go to a garage and knowingly purchase a brand new tyre that had a puncture repair and pay full price? I very much doubt it.
Would you go in to a cloths shop and purchase a pair of trousers with a pluck in them! Even though your going to wear them and they’re probably get plucked any way? No.

If I was fortunate enough to ever be able to afford a brand new car, I doesnt matter if it’s £20k or £80k, I would want it perfect from the dealership.

Post #538033 Tue Oct 10 2017 9:17pm
IRBails

Australia 

Don't buy a RRS then if you want perfect because nothing is perfect on this car. I might also say I haven't really had perfect on any of my cars including other brands. And yes I would not buy a tyre with a puncture, because that would not be functional. If it is tiny imperfection in the paint I would not blink about it, a dent , different paint colors I would. My point is if it isn't that big a deal don't sweat it . Drive it and enjoy as soon as you do a dirt road or go off road the tiny clear coat blemish will disappear. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #538034 Tue Oct 10 2017 9:28pm
Danv8

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Alaska White

Your totally missing the point. It’s your opinion that ‘it’s no big deal’. To others it is. It would be to me, it doesn’t matter if it’s an RRS or a Toyota Aygo.
If I could afford to buy new any car, then it’s not to much to expect perfection. Also just because you buy an RRS doesn’t automatically mean it’s bought for its off road capabilities and it’s going to be ragged down the first dirt track you find. Mine is almost 8 years old, done 80k miles, and never been off road.

Post #538043 Wed Oct 11 2017 5:03am
Silty

United Kingdom 

[quote="Danv8"]Would you go to a garage and knowingly purchase a brand new tyre that had a puncture repair and pay full price? I very much doubt it.
Would you go in to a cloths shop and purchase a pair of trousers with a pluck in them! Even though your going to wear them and they’re probably get plucked any way? No. quote]

I dream of having a new pair of trousers, going out and getting a pluck! Hasn't happened in years..... sigh 2017 SDV6 Autobiography; Carpathian Grey, Ivory, Soft Close, Extended Grand Black.

Post #538046 Wed Oct 11 2017 6:19am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

There is also another issue here. When you do a factory visit a big issue is made about telling you how comprehensive the quality control is and you see cars that have been hauled off the production line and parked up waiting to have paint or fittings repaired before they go further down the line to completion. You see lots of cars that appear to be completed but defects are found and they are having remedial work. I suggest that it isn't LR's paint shop that has the issues but that LR's quality control teams that are either Censored , blind or they have too little time to properly inspect cars and have to rush them out. If LR were a bit less greedy and slowed down the line a tiny bit to allow more time to inspect the supposedly perfect cars that end up going out to the final inspection storage area then maybe we wouldn't hear of so many failures at the point of de;ivery to the customer.
RRSSi has rejected his car recently - it is the second Range Rover product this year he has rejected which is a pretty poor showing by LR (even more so seeing as he came from what he said was a perfect Merc GL) and you would think that they might have taken more care to ensure that a customer who has rejected one car isn't subjected to a second disappointment.

My present RRS has 3 paint defects, I asked about correction but after 4 different detailers and the dealership advised that rectification would probably make the defects more visible I decided to live with them - one of them is like a long eyelash under the clear coat next to the rubber strip on the driver's door window so I see it every time I open the door. Now a) paint robots don't as far as I am aware have eyelashes and b) it is so obvious how come QC never picked it up? LR acknowledged there were paint defects and redress was given in other ways but I always wonder how supposedly trained quality experts can miss thing that us lesser mortals can spot a mile off. Do LR employ blind quality inspectors on purpose............?? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #538050 Wed Oct 11 2017 8:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SVR575

United Kingdom 

It really is unacceptable, though with customers like IRB Wink ,LR are getting away with it. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #538086 Wed Oct 11 2017 1:22pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If your spending that on a new car then why not take a professional car detailer with you for handover time! That way if your not happy with what you have been presented with, then dont take it!

There was an incident on here with an SVR that had a damaged boot and that guy collected it from the factory! Perfect just doesn't happen in the real world Whistle 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #538095 Wed Oct 11 2017 2:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>