RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Radio head unit defective
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

rabcnesbit

United Kingdom 

Hello Andy K, sorry I have not got round to applying your advice, been busy with some urgent family matters and work. Attached is a picture of the rear of the amp (under the driver's seat). Which wires would I need to unplug and replug? many thanks.

(unable to upload image for some reason) RRS 2.7 TDV HSE MY07

Post #524678 Thu Apr 27 2017 6:11pm
rabcnesbit

United Kingdom 

Just an update with this. Took the car in to another indi, which I somewhat trust more than the one that told me it was the head unit that was gone and need replacing. I did ask him to carry out the tips suggested by yourselves - battery hard reset, which he said he carried out but still no audio. I then paid him for further investigation (£192 for 2 hours labour to investigate) and he's now come back to say it's the audio amp that is gone, and in the region of £600 to replace! Really fed up with this car. I spend more time and money going to and from the garage fixing faults than I actually drive the car. As one thing gets fixed, another breaks. Though they are lovely to drive, I don't think I will be touching these cars again! Really fed up! RRS 2.7 TDV HSE MY07

Post #536083 Thu Sep 21 2017 12:54pm
rabcnesbit

United Kingdom 

So, following on from above, the estimated cost to replace the audio amp is £611 inc vat plus a further £39 if the amp requires programming to the vehicle. Apparently fitting it is about half and hour's labour, so the bulk of the amount is the cost of the amp itself. The part is XQK500095 and I have seen used ones on eBay for about £200, so buying this plus fitting and programming should cost me about £300 (less than half of what I have been quoted by the garage). The only issue is that the garage as a matter policy refuses to fit used parts bought from eBay etc (something to do with preventing being sued afterwards if something goes wrong etc). So, I have to find a garage that will be willing to fit it for me (or is it something I can easily fit myself?). Any thoughts.advice suggestions? Thanks

The funny thing about the whole thing (well not funny but frustrating and annoying really) is that the first indi garage I took it to (the one I no longer trust and will not be using ever again) 'diagnosed' a defective radio head unit (paid about £100 for this diagnosis), hence the title of this thread. So, I would have wasted money buying a used radio head unit (as a new one apparently cost more than a £1000) only to find out the issue was not that! Not a credible garage at all! Reviews I have read about them since suggest same - they can do basic stuff like servicing etc, but anything else is just guess work! RRS 2.7 TDV HSE MY07

Post #536234 Sat Sep 23 2017 8:22am
DEVON

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Easy enough to fit yourself , did mine a few months ago .
Drivers seat all way back and undo two bolts , then seat all way forward to undo two more bolts at the back
Unclip the wiring looms , think there were 4 or 5 ...... reverse order for the new amp . Took me 20 minutes
And doesn't need programming to car Thumbs Up

Post #536244 Sat Sep 23 2017 12:06pm
rabcnesbit

United Kingdom 

rabcnesbit wrote:
So, following on from above, the estimated cost to replace the audio amp is £611 inc vat plus a further £39 if the amp requires programming to the vehicle. Apparently fitting it is about half and hour's labour, so the bulk of the amount is the cost of the amp itself. The part is XQK500095 and I have seen used ones on eBay for about £200, so buying this plus fitting and programming should cost me about £300 (less than half of what I have been quoted by the garage). The only issue is that the garage as a matter policy refuses to fit used parts bought from eBay etc (something to do with preventing being sued afterwards if something goes wrong etc). So, I have to find a garage that will be willing to fit it for me (or is it something I can easily fit myself?). Any thoughts.advice suggestions? Thanks

The funny thing about the whole thing (well not funny but frustrating and annoying really) is that the first indi garage I took it to (the one I no longer trust and will not be using ever again) 'diagnosed' a defective radio head unit (paid about £100 for this diagnosis), hence the title of this thread. So, I would have wasted money buying a used radio head unit (as a new one apparently cost more than a £1000) only to find out the issue was not that! Not a credible garage at all! Reviews I have read about them since suggest same - they can do basic stuff like servicing etc, but anything else is just guess work!

That is encouraging. Many thanks Thumbs Up RRS 2.7 TDV HSE MY07

Post #536250 Sat Sep 23 2017 3:05pm
rabcnesbit

United Kingdom 

DEVON wrote:
Easy enough to fit yourself , did mine a few months ago .
Drivers seat all way back and undo two bolts , then seat all way forward to undo two more bolts at the back
Unclip the wiring looms , think there were 4 or 5 ...... reverse order for the new amp . Took me 20 minutes
And doesn't need programming to car Thumbs Up

Hi Devon, did you buy a used one or new? If used, any thing in particular to look out for? I have seen quite a few on eBay. Thanks RRS 2.7 TDV HSE MY07

Post #536890 Sun Oct 01 2017 10:48pm
rabcnesbit

United Kingdom 

Okay, bought me a used audio amp from eBay, and about to replace the defective unit myself (as my indi garage refuses to change parts not bought from 'authorised/approved' sellers!), and already hit the first hurdle Mad

Could anybody advise me please how to remove the front plastic cover under the driver's seat (images attached) so I can reach to unscrew the front screws for the audio amp. Would have thought this would have been as easy as just pulling it (in fact that was how it was presented in the only Youtube clip I could find after extensive 'Googling'), but alas, mine won't budge! Many thanks

Click image to enlarge

RRS 2.7 TDV HSE MY07

Last edited by rabcnesbit on Sat Oct 07 2017 6:03pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #537644 Sat Oct 07 2017 2:12pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

yeah it does just pull off.

but if its been there for years its not gonna come off easily.

Post #537661 Sat Oct 07 2017 4:50pm
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Pull it hard the clips are tough but do come out Thumbs Up

Post #537662 Sat Oct 07 2017 4:56pm
rabcnesbit

United Kingdom 

Many thanks gents/ladies. Will give it a try tomorrow. RRS 2.7 TDV HSE MY07

Post #537665 Sat Oct 07 2017 6:01pm
rabcnesbit

United Kingdom 

Okay, audio amp now replaced, and audio back! Very Happy Was quite tedious to replace. Not the steps itself, but the usual stubborn screw that wont's come off or difficult to reach, the plastic fascia that proved difficult to pull out, and a couple of connectors at the back of the old amp that proved difficult/tricky to unclip! A few swear words were uttered! Anyway, thanks guys for your advice and encouragement. Thumbs Up Eventually cost me £190 (from ebay) plus about an hour of my time. My mechanic was going to charge me just over £600!

Just one other thing to point out. I am glad I decided to spend additional money for a second investigation by my usual mechanic who subsequently correctly diagnosed a defective audio amp. The first 'cow boy' garage I took it to (after charging me to investigate it) stated it was the head unit that was defective! The reason for the title of this thread. I would have ended up spending hundreds to replace a perfectly working head unit and still end with the audio not working! Unbelievable, completely rubbish incompetent garage! RRS 2.7 TDV HSE MY07

Post #537759 Sun Oct 08 2017 2:06pm
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Thumbs Up

Post #537762 Sun Oct 08 2017 2:27pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Well done! Have you considered having the faulty amp fixed and selling it on fleabag? Most common problems with amps in general are blown internal fuses or shorted out power supply. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #537763 Sun Oct 08 2017 2:40pm
rabcnesbit

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Well done! Have you considered having the faulty amp fixed and selling it on fleabag? Most common problems with amps in general are blown internal fuses or shorted out power supply.

Was not sure whether this was something possible or there was a service for this and how much it would cost? Any ideas/tips? Thanks RRS 2.7 TDV HSE MY07

Post #537785 Sun Oct 08 2017 5:37pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Usually forums are the best place to find information on niche repair shops but I've not seen any posts about amplifier repairs on this site.

Maybe try looking on the Disco 3 site? I had to find a repairer for a classic Becker head unit and turned up a splendid elderly gentleman near Liverpool who took his time but fixed it for £80. Unfortunately for you I think he only does Becker.
Generally the guys who do this kind of thing as a cottage industry don't advertise and seem to work on recommendations and that makes them hard to find.
Maybe try this company? http://www.carradiorepairs.co.uk 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #537805 Sun Oct 08 2017 6:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>