RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Navigation voice prompts when on the phone
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Ratkat

United Kingdom 
Navigation voice prompts when on the phone

Hello all, I have just got my first RRS, a 2016 Autobiography, I have just one disappointment in that when I am on the phone (about 90% of my time in the car) there are no voice instructions from the navigation. I just swapped to the RRS from a 2013 BMW X5 40d, the navigation in that still spoke up but at a lower volume when on the phone. Is there a setting I have missed?

Many thanks in advance.

Post #536993 Mon Oct 02 2017 10:21pm
bluestone

United Kingdom 

Don't expect the tech in a LR to come anywhere close to BMW.

My old 12 plate 5 series could input an entire address and get the navigation started in one voice command. The RRS requires about 20 commands and that's if the voice recognition actually works.

I have given up and gone back to using Google Now on my phone to voice control my car. MY16 (65) RRS, HSE, White, 21" 507s, Pan/Black Roof, 7 Seats, Ebony/Cirrus, Surround Cams, Fully Color Coded

Post #537001 Mon Oct 02 2017 11:09pm
Ratkat

United Kingdom 

Unbelievable really, all my cars for the past 15 years allow you to be on the phone and still navigate without watching the screen constantly.
I do agree that compared to the X5 the tech is a tad basic and clunky to use.

Post #537006 Tue Oct 03 2017 7:38am
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

i hate it when driving my wife's car and I'm on the phone and the satnav constantly interupts me. I prefer to see the directions on the map. cant please all the people all the time i guess. Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #537021 Tue Oct 03 2017 9:06am
wilf

For me, silence from the car is what I want if I am on the 'phone. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #537064 Tue Oct 03 2017 1:40pm
Ratkat

United Kingdom 

I guess it is whatever you get used to, still a shame though. MY19 RRS Autobiography Dynamic 3.0 sdv6, Carpathian Grey, black pan roof, black pack, black 22’s, black side steps, ebony/ebony interior
—————
2019 Westfield FW Special Edition, fully loaded 180bhp
—————
MY18 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine R-Design Pro, fully loaded, Polestar (404 Bhp) - GONE
—————
MY16 RRS Autobiography Dynamic, Firenze red, black pan roof, satin black 507's with satin black stealth pack, ebony and ivory interior. GONE

Post #537168 Tue Oct 03 2017 9:34pm
Kettle7

United Kingdom 

Ratkat wrote:
Unbelievable really, all my cars for the past 15 years allow you to be on the phone and still navigate without watching the screen constantly.
I do agree that compared to the X5 the tech is a tad basic and clunky to use.

Unbelievable??? Why on earth would you want to be spoken to whilst on a call?? I'd have thought it was "normal" to mute Sat Nav voice commands whilst on the phone....until i read your post... Wink

Post #537448 Thu Oct 05 2017 5:33pm
BJH1959

Portugal 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

I'm not directing this at anyone, but I could not give 100% concentration to my driving while listening to a sat-nav and being on the phone at the same time. I find the wife distracting enough when she's jabbering. Barrie.
2005 RRS 2.7TDV6 from 2017 -2024. Best car I ever had.
Current: 2018 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2

Post #537467 Thu Oct 05 2017 7:35pm
Ratkat

United Kingdom 

Most people tend to think the same but I spend several hours a day in the car and about 90% of my time in the car is on the phone, I have just got so used to hearing the nav in the background I have come to rely on it. I guess I will just have to keep my eye on the map. MY19 RRS Autobiography Dynamic 3.0 sdv6, Carpathian Grey, black pan roof, black pack, black 22’s, black side steps, ebony/ebony interior
—————
—————
MY18 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine R-Design Pro, fully loaded, Polestar (404 Bhp) - GONE
—————
MY16 RRS Autobiography Dynamic, Firenze red, black pan roof, satin black 507's with satin black stealth pack, ebony and ivory interior. GONE

Post #537477 Thu Oct 05 2017 8:41pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

I set the sat nav display to the instrument panel when in busy areas, that way it's in my straight ahead line of sight.
Tim

Post #537479 Thu Oct 05 2017 9:04pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Quote:

Most people tend to think the same but I spend several hours a day in the car and about 90% of my time in the car is on the phone, I have just got so used to hearing the nav in the background I have come to rely on it. I guess I will just have to keep my eye on the map.

Sorry spending that much time on the phone is hardly safe driving, having voice on Sat Nav still active while you are taking a hands free call, is still extremely dangerous, and could easily lead you to driving without due care and attention charge or dangerous driving charge in the event of any accident. ALL new vehicles must now have auto mute when answering a hands free call. You won’t find anything new coming out (built) from sept 2016.
If you want to drive at this level of stupidity I suggest you pull up and make call when safe to do so. If you have to suddenly react to a verbal instruction whilst talking on phone, you are hardly driving with due care.
You would have been booked for sure if I had ever seen you, when serving, and I/We observed any form of sloppy driving.
This is why the TV and DVD is switched off when driving for the driver, it is illegal to have it working when your vehicle is in motion, yet strangely not illegal to sell devices that allow this. Evil or Very Mad John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #537481 Thu Oct 05 2017 9:15pm
Ratkat

United Kingdom 

No need for the personal attack, I am a very observant driver, I have taken advanced driving and have driven hundreds of thousands of miles without being involved in or causing any accidents and without conviction. It naively thought a forum was a place to ask and answer questions not a place to brag, boast or shove your personal beliefs down the throats of others. MY19 RRS Autobiography Dynamic 3.0 sdv6, Carpathian Grey, black pan roof, black pack, black 22’s, black side steps, ebony/ebony interior
—————
—————
—————

Post #537492 Thu Oct 05 2017 10:03pm
Ratkat

United Kingdom 

Thanks to all of you who gave useful answers and advice, I am leaving this thread now due to the uncalled for rant from a certain keyboard warrior. MY19 RRS Autobiography Dynamic 3.0 sdv6, Carpathian Grey, black pan roof, black pack, black 22’s, black side steps, ebony/ebony interior
—————
—————
—————

Post #537493 Thu Oct 05 2017 10:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1