RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Ludite needing advice on my 17.5 Sim Card
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Sp13l

England 
Ludite needing advice on my 17.5 Sim Card

Apologies if this has been covered prevoiusly.

I picked up my new rrs on Sunday and loving it apart from the fact that i appear to need to purchase a sim on contract to get the full functionality of the system to work. I do find this a bit ridiculous that this isn't already installed. My Bmw was all ready to go without any fuss! Anyway we are where we are.
Questions
1. I need a data sim. Is that right?
2. My dealer didnt seem to know what sim. Mentioned quickly a nano sim? Is that right?
3. When he showed me functions he 'tethered' my phone and i needed to put a password in. Now i cant find what he did and it seems i need to tether everytime i get into thd csr. This cant be right?
4. I have a work phone Samsung smart phone j5. Is there anyway i can use this phone and the data therein instead of a seperate sim or does it need a sim in situ at all times to activate incontrol secure etc?
5. If i get a SIM does it need to be on the same network as my phone contract (bt) or can it be anyone?
6. Anyone re ommend a good sim provider on the high street?

A lot of questions i k ow and thanks in advance.

Post #537474 Thu Oct 05 2017 7:17pm
syl

United Kingdom 

This works:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EE-6GB-4G-Data-S...2515473886

Post #537476 Thu Oct 05 2017 7:36pm
Sp13l

England 

Cheers. Simple as that? So i assume you can use any data sim and dont need to be on a contract then?

Post #537478 Thu Oct 05 2017 7:52pm
jjkeen

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Hi,

I'll try and answer the best I can

1. I need a data sim. Is that right?
Yes this is required to use the Land Rover Remote App and Route Planner.

2. My dealer didn't seem to know what sim. Mentioned quickly a nano sim? Is that right?
You require a micro sim not a nano.

3. When he showed me functions he 'tethered' my phone and i needed to put a password in. Now i cant find what he did and it seems i need to tether every time i get into thd csr. This cant be right?
Do you mean connected the phone using bluetooth, if so this is required for phone call from your phone.

4. I have a work phone Samsung smart phone j5. Is there anyway i can use this phone and the data therein instead of a separate sim or does it need a sim in situ at all times to activate Incontrol secure etc?
I dont believe this is possible, even if you could thou in order to communicate with the car when you're nowhere near the car you will need the sim installed in the car.

5. If i get a SIM does it need to be on the same network as my phone contract (bt) or can it be anyone?
You can use any data provider, just be sure to get one that has good coverage in areas you are more than likely going to park your car.

6. Anyone recommend a good sim provider on the high street?
I use vodaphone but some of my friends swear by EE for overall coverage.

Hope this is of help.

Good Luck!!

Post #537485 Thu Oct 05 2017 8:33pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

I would advise at least a 1GB per month minimum data allowance,
also check Sky who allow unused data each month to be carried forward.
I dare say there are same options with other companies too. Question
EE do have the widest and most 4G coverage in the UK though, but check coverage maps for your most used areas. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #537486 Thu Oct 05 2017 8:34pm
syl

United Kingdom 

I have a 2GB per month SIM in my car, which runs out of it's 12 month pre-paid data at the end of October. I have just bought the 500MB per months SIM to replace it with. The SIM is a multi-SIM (all three sizes, just push out the correct cutout). The car quite happily tells me that I hardly use any (<100 MB / month). When it's on the drive, it uses the house WiFi. Out and about all it uses is google earth maps occasionally. If you want to enable the in-car WiFi hotspot, then perhaps it's worth getting more. EE do a 2GB/month (24GB over 12 months) card as well as the 500MB one I linked above.

You can tether to your mobile (turn on personal hotspot on the phone) but why bother when you can get a card for £15 a year?

Post #537489 Thu Oct 05 2017 8:45pm
Sp13l

England 

Thank you cor your replies everyone. I believe this covers ofc what i need. Just need to find the card. Sounds like ee is the route to go. Do i just pick one up at a normal retailer?
I shall no doubt be back with questions once its instalked but i hope not

Post #537501 Thu Oct 05 2017 11:35pm
Sp13l

England 

Thank you cor your replies everyone. I believe this covers ofc what i need. Just need to find the card. Sounds like ee is the route to go. Do i just pick one up at a normal retailer?
I shall no doubt be back with questions once its instalked but i hope not

Post #537502 Thu Oct 05 2017 11:36pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Sp13l,

Did you get this sorted? I took delivery of a MY18 last week and was pretty hacked off that I have to get a SIM just for live traffic updates Sad

Land Robber must be the only mainstream manufacturer who takes the p*** like this!!

Some months my car will hardly get used and I will probably only do around 6k miles per year and the Sky SIM looks good as you can roll over your data.

Cheers
Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #550554 Mon Mar 05 2018 9:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1