RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Underwhelmed by the Velar......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Reedy

Hello,

After 12 years in the Discovery camp it was time for change, the decision was simple RRS Autobiography or RRV First Edition.

Following weeks of debilitating and multiple test drives I found it difficult to choose, both cars are wonderful. The driving position of the Sport is unrivalled, the refinement and build quality exceeds everything in it's class, the car is truly fantastic.

However the Velar is no compromise simply an alternative, at least equal in every way. It doesn't have folding arm rests, deployable side steps or a low range gear selector, but I personally don't need them.

The Velar has a fresh presence and probably JLR's statement of intent going forward, we're told MY18 RRS will have a Velar like interior and the infotainment system is excellent.

So after 3 weeks of Velar ownership SWMBO keeps asking me why I'm smiling so much, if you've driven a D300 FE you'll understand! Thumbs Up

Post #536819 Sun Oct 01 2017 8:23am
RRSman

United Kingdom 

You forgot to mention it actually drives better than a RRS too Thumbs Up

Post #536835 Sun Oct 01 2017 1:41pm
Reedy

You might be right RRSman, the fuel economy is undoubtably better but that's understandable being quite a bit lighter.
I've only driven 800 miles on a mixture of roads and currently averaging 40mpg.

My big test will be when MY18 RRS is finally revealed it might well be irresistible Razz

Post #536840 Sun Oct 01 2017 3:05pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

For me the MY18 RRS order depends on what is eventually updated and the price tag they put on it...I can see them becoming pretty expensive when spec'd high!

It still wont have the cool handles though Razz

Post #536851 Sun Oct 01 2017 4:38pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

Isn't hi-speccing of cars the big mistake? I was told years ago to keep to a basic spec and that this would dramaticaly reduce the overall ownership cost. Afterall most of the extras are a waste of money, eg, head-up display, several hundred pounds to see the speedo reflected in the windscreen Confused Hence my RRS HSE has minimal additions; when will I ever use low range for example but still has the style, comfort and pace and only cost, after discounts, a little over £60k.
Tim

Post #536866 Sun Oct 01 2017 7:38pm
Reedy

Can't argue with your analogy timhum wise words, but the heads up display is probably the future.

Post #536872 Sun Oct 01 2017 8:36pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

timhum wrote:
Hence my RRS HSE has minimal additions; when will I ever use low range for example but still has the style, comfort and pace and only cost, after discounts, a little over £60k.

You're right, most people don't need low range and other off-road gizmos but Dynamic mode is something everyone would enjoy as it transforms the drive IMHO. For that reason, HSE Dynamic was the minimum RRS spec I considered. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #536878 Sun Oct 01 2017 9:08pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

timhum wrote:
Isn't hi-speccing of cars the big mistake? I was told years ago to keep to a basic spec and that this would dramaticaly reduce the overall ownership cost. Afterall most of the extras are a waste of money, eg, head-up display, several hundred pounds to see the speedo reflected in the windscreen Confused Hence my RRS HSE has minimal additions; when will I ever use low range for example but still has the style, comfort and pace and only cost, after discounts, a little over £60k.
Tim

I was of the exact same thinking when buying a car outright for cash. I have now joined the PCP game (after a lot of convincing from friends etc, putting the £80k elsewhere rather than in a car blah blah etc) and it works differently as the higher spec your car the less you pay per month. When I bought the Velar I got various PCP quotes on different trim levels and as the payment on the First Edition (which is FULLY loaded) was only £34 a month more than a much lesser car with less than half the options it made sense for me to go for this - being a ltd edition run it should also hold value more than the lesser spec cars.

Post #536918 Mon Oct 02 2017 9:48am
timhum

United Kingdom 

I don't quite get that. Using the RR configurator and comparing a RRS 3.0 HSE v 3.0Autobiography with a deposit of £5k and mileage of 12k p.a. over 37 months the monthly payment on the HSE is £853.72 and the AB is £1137.00 so £283 more per month. Perhaps the Velar works out differently?
Tim

Post #536941 Mon Oct 02 2017 1:50pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Indeed - it all depends on the residual values also known as the GFV of the car after 37 months - at the moment the GFVs are not too good on the RRS as compared to the Velar as it is a newer car.

Back in March when I ordered an MY17 RRS AB I compared the quote to a HSE and HSE Dynamic - the HSE Dynamic was a cheaper car but was actually working out to be £26 a month more than the AB!!! The HSE was cheaper by around £10.

My quotes were based on a deposit of £20k - if you put down less then the difference in monthly payments will obviously be more. Try again this time with £20k down and see how it pans out?

Post #536944 Mon Oct 02 2017 2:04pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

I've just run the numbers on the LR website, HSE £392.68 per month and AB £855.13 per month. The total price for the AB including interest charges is £27k more than the HSE. GFV on the HSE is £36k and the AB £44k.
Tim

Post #536974 Mon Oct 02 2017 7:18pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

These figures don't stack up Shocked

As I said there was only a difference of £26 a month on both cars (AB v HSE).

I just had a look myself: (£25k down)

HSE list price £63,545 monthly payments £368.06 (£1500 contribution)
AB List price: £80,745 monthly payments £646.72 (£3000 contribution)

I was getting 7% off a HSE but 12% off (including dealer contribution) on the AB at the time and the residual value on the AB was £54k compared to £45k right now - my maths is not good enough to calculate but as I said £26 a month was all the difference at the time.

Post #537024 Tue Oct 03 2017 8:39am
syl

United Kingdom 

What makes the higher models much more affordable is if you start adding some extras to the lower models (which are standard on the higher models). These aren't reflected in the GMV.

Try an AB vs a HSE with added pan roof, adaptive cruise, meridian audio, etc.

Post #537030 Tue Oct 03 2017 9:12am
timhum

United Kingdom 

Good point syl and in some way backs up my original comment, don't waste money on high spec cars. It will still be just as enjoyable.
Tim

Post #537039 Tue Oct 03 2017 10:03am
RRSman

United Kingdom 

That's a rather subjective comment Tim - a car with plenty of toys is always more fun than one without IMHO. I'm loving having pretty much every available option on hand for my First Edition Velar - makes the ownership experience brilliant Thumbs Up

Post #537041 Tue Oct 03 2017 10:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>