RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Underwhelmed by the Velar......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

milesg

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black
Underwhelmed by the Velar......

Just had a test drive of the Velar (standard 180bhp 4 pot). the best way of describing it is like the F Pace I had but in a box format. Drives more car like than an RRS, interior looks great, but feels more Jag than LR, the seats are very uncomfortable (I thought I hated my Sports seats but these are bad!!). I am sure if I spent the cash and went for the First Edition or R-Dynamic with the V6 Petrol and £10k of extras it would make me smile.... But I got back into my RRS and thought 'nice, but not for me'.

It is all subjective of course. People will like and people will buy, but it is not a game changer for me in my buying process.

I will keep my RRS for 2 years and see what new things have appeared in the LR camp..... (a new shape defender with a 5ltr Supercharged lump like a civilized Bowler.....) Bow down Rolling with laughter Bow down Rolling with laughter 2016 RRS Autobiography - 4.4 TDV8 - Santorini Black with Ivory Leather - Grey Alloys - A few toys

Post #536576 Wed Sep 27 2017 5:32pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

well for sure mile you tested the wrong one for you. No way can that model compete with your AB Sport. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #536577 Wed Sep 27 2017 5:35pm
milesg

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black

I know the engine was wrong, but I've just configured a R thingy with the spec I want, not ticking every box, and it is £90k....!!!!

I was not test driving to buy I will add, my dealer offered me one for an hour whilst they fixed something else on mine..... 2016 RRS Autobiography - 4.4 TDV8 - Santorini Black with Ivory Leather - Grey Alloys - A few toys

Post #536579 Wed Sep 27 2017 5:42pm
Black Bess

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

It`s a proper hairdresser`s car! Rolling with laughter

Post #536632 Thu Sep 28 2017 12:22pm
kmpowell

Re: Underwhelmed by the Velar......

milesg wrote:
the best way of describing it is like the F Pace

That's because it IS an F-Pace under the body panels.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I doff my cap to JLR for taking an F-Pce putting it in drag and then successfully charging a ridiculous price for the 'range rover' badge. SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Post #536658 Thu Sep 28 2017 5:35pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Can't argue with the price being ridiculous as I totally agree but I found it a very different (better) car to drive compared to F-Pace. Not that F-Pace is a bad drive but Velar is just so much better. I have driven both with 3 litre Diesel engines. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #536666 Thu Sep 28 2017 7:04pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Hairdressers must do really well nowadays Rolling with laughter

BTW mods this is in the wrong section and there is already a Velar bashing thread in off topic Thumbs Up

Post #536670 Thu Sep 28 2017 8:19pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Reported for mods' attention to move to the correct place Thumbs Up Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #536673 Thu Sep 28 2017 8:40pm
Stuart

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I looked at one in the showroom and if you are 6' or more, the seat won't go back far enough.

The RRS is only *just* good enough in that regard but this one isnt. For women it'll be great till the poppy out door handles break and she can't get in it.

Underwhelmed at the money TBH. Get a 2005-2009 RRS (FAH500210) sat nav/dash mat here - the one that wasn't there when you bought the car.

Spiffing wheel centre caps available

Post #536722 Fri Sep 29 2017 8:29pm
kmpowell

fkarim wrote:
Can't argue with the price being ridiculous as I totally agree but I found it a very different (better) car to drive compared to F-Pace. Not that F-Pace is a bad drive but Velar is just so much better. I have driven both with 3 litre Diesel engines.

I don’t know how you found it a different car to drive... The F-Pace and the Velar have exactly the same chassis, drivetrains, powertrains, running gear, mapping’s, mechanics etc

With the Velar you pay for the badge, inside tech, and different body panels

Placebo effect. SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Post #536741 Sat Sep 30 2017 7:28am
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Placebo effect Rolling with laughter

Have you driven one yourself?

Post #536750 Sat Sep 30 2017 9:14am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Called in local Lexus dealership to pick up my missing handbook last week and there was a Velar in the car park - looked very Ewok from front and F pace rear to me

If owners trading in for a Lexus already they must be underwhelmed too Laughing Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #536751 Sat Sep 30 2017 9:20am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

RRSman wrote:
Have you driven one yourself?

Same question from me kmpowell. Most people dismissing the Velar seem to be doing so without having driven one themselves or because they were given the 'wrong' spec to try. While it is perfectly understandable to dislike a car without driving if the reasons are aesthetic, trim quality, pricing etc., to say that it is no different to a much lesser car without actually experiencing both first hand is a bit unfair.

Sharing some components doesn't necessarily mean the drive is same. I know they have the same chassis but would love to see evidence that Velar's drivetrain, powertrain, running gear, mechanics and especially mappings are IDENTICAL to F-Pace. Next we would be claiming Porsches, Audis and VWs are no different for the same reasons. I know some people believe that they essentially are the same thing ... but then again some people still believe the earth is flat so who cares?

As far as the "placebo effect" comment is concerned, it couldn't be farther from truth. I'm not even interested in buying a Velar (at least at present or in near future) as the Sport suits my needs much more and offers a better overall package than Velar. All I have said is that it is a very engaging and fun car to drive compared to F-Pace (and dare I say my RRS). I actually went in NOT expecting to be impressed. My main reason was that I wanted to be proven right that it doesn't offer anything new or exciting. My review of Velar in another thread was actually an admission that I was wrong!

Just like I cannot comprehend why anyone ( read RRSman Laughing ) can buy a car without trying it out first just because it is the next 'new thing', I can also not understand how people can be so dismissive of its performance without experiencing it.

Sorry, long post I know but I'm just sitting comfortably in my RRS waiting for my son and have nothing better to do Smile Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #536771 Sat Sep 30 2017 1:47pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Laughing it's not the first time I have done that too! I bought the first gen Cayenne and the X5 without driving them both - I love having the latest thing it's just "me". Already have a deposit place on the Volvo XC40 for the mrs to replace the Evoque as it excites me and I also have a deposit in the Tesla model 3 (the latter was speculative to make a quick flip profit)!

Post #536774 Sat Sep 30 2017 2:27pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Good for you Thumbs Up We're all different and it's better this way. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #536804 Sat Sep 30 2017 9:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>