Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Instrument binnacle cover replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

dpg123

United Kingdom 
Instrument binnacle cover replacement

Hi,

I am looking to replace the plastic instrument binnacle top (the cover) with a leather covered replacement.
Has anyone here ever done this job? Is it DIY'able or am I getting myself into too big a job to make it worthwhile? If it's not too hard, can anyone point me in the direction of a guide?
I have a 2010 Sport TDV8.

Many thanks!

David

Post #535758 Mon Sep 18 2017 1:25pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

It is not to difficult to change, but to make life easier you will need to remove the steering wheel first as you need to remove the instrument cluster to get at the screws behind which secure the pod. It is possible to get the cluster out without removing the wheel, but as space is limited there is a very strong possibility of scratching the cluster front, and also marking the leather with the sharp edges of the plastic. You need to remove some of the plastic bezels around the steering column as well as a plastic bezel under the pod and in front of the cluster which is a bit awkward as it is clipped in and you have to give it quite a tug to release it, and again the leather can be marked by the sharp edges if not careful.

If you do change it and the car has a electrically adjustable steering column, make sure you extend and lower it fully before disconnecting the battery for better access otherwise you will be swearing. Laughing

Cheers
Col

Post #535839 Mon Sep 18 2017 10:53pm
thomas brown

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Hi guys.

From what I found Col has pretty much explained it Thumbs Up I was hoping to do it with the wheel on myself but as I said never got around to it. But removing the wheel sounds the best. Definitely don't want to mark that leather so best to take the wheel off.
Do we have the Rave files on here for the workshop manual ? Least that would show you how to remove the steering wheel. As usual disconnect the battery before removing the wheel. The wheel can't be hard to get off once that's off it must be pretty straight forward, just be gentle removing the trim.

Going to see if I can find the Rave files Mr. Green

Post #535860 Tue Sep 19 2017 8:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1