Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Europe road trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red
Europe road trip

Quick overview of our Europe Road trip

Drove to Colmar in France from Manchester on the first day, 700 mile journey, ACC doing the most of it.
From there drove across Switherland, to Lauterbrunnen region, beautiful roads and loads of waterfalls.
From there, drove to Kandersteg and took the tunnel train which is a experience itself with the car in almost open carriage.
From Goppenstein where the train stopped, drove via Simplon pass and drove over to the Nothern Italy where we stayed from a week. Driving around Lake Como and Lake Maggiore, very nice but lof of roads are very narrow so tend to be very slow traffic.
Coming back, from Italy, drove to Switzerland via Furka Pass and Grimselpass, some of the best scenery I have seen and also there’s Rhone Glacier that you can visit halfway along the Furka pass. (Galcier has an ice tunnel inside as well)
After few days in Switzerland drove over to Germany via Rhine Falls, but then as I mentioned in a another post, car broke down with crankshaft failure so we could not complete Germany and Belgium part of the trip.
Best part of the Trip is certainly the Switzserland, so hopefully these places and photos would be helpful for anyone else planning a trip.
Except the first day’s drive, I did around 200 miles in a day and did over 3000 miles in 11 days, had I completed the trip fully, this would be around 4000 miles.

Colmar vineyards

Click image to enlarge

On the way to Lauterbrunnen region
Click image to enlarge

Kandersteg tunell train
Click image to enlarge

Simplon pass
Click image to enlarge

Furka and Grimselpass
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Rhone Galcier
Click image to enlarge

Ice tunnel
Click image to enlarge

Italian lakes

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by udash on Sun Sep 17 2017 1:34pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #535649 Sun Sep 17 2017 11:47am
SVR575

United Kingdom 

udash superb pictures thank you.
i,m planning a road trip next year mainly in the swiss alps and Como.
top of my list is the Grimsel and Furka passes especially as i,m going in my Aston and as you know these passes where used in the bond film. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #535652 Sun Sep 17 2017 12:27pm
udash

That's a great car to do those passes, and roads around como. Your Ashon next to this should look great. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #535658 Sun Sep 17 2017 1:40pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Excellent pictures Thumbs Up Done all of these in different seasons as I'm a big fan of that whole region. Simplon Pass is amazing in winter with all those icicles and deep deep snow as far as you can see, especially once you reach the top. The scenery around some of the Italian lakes and Swiss passes is stunning. The drive in Sport and Dynamic mode isn't too bad either but obviously no contest when you mention AM Bow down Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #535661 Sun Sep 17 2017 2:19pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

udash wrote:
That's a great car to do those passes, and roads around como. Your Ashon next to this should look great. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Hey, hey very cool. Thumbs Up SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #535662 Sun Sep 17 2017 2:50pm
udash

fkarim wrote:
Excellent pictures Thumbs Up Done all of these in different seasons as I'm a big fan of that whole region. Simplon Pass is amazing in winter with all those icicles and deep deep snow as far as you can see, especially once you reach the top. The scenery around some of the Italian lakes and Swiss passes is stunning. The drive in Sport and Dynamic mode isn't too bad either but obviously no contest when you mention AM Bow down

I was thinking that I must look very nice during the winter, what time of the year did you do the Simplon pass, and was it with snow tires?

Post #535687 Sun Sep 17 2017 7:35pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Udash,

Thumbs Up

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #535689 Sun Sep 17 2017 7:48pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

udash wrote:
fkarim wrote:
Excellent pictures Thumbs Up Done all of these in different seasons as I'm a big fan of that whole region. Simplon Pass is amazing in winter with all those icicles and deep deep snow as far as you can see, especially once you reach the top. The scenery around some of the Italian lakes and Swiss passes is stunning. The drive in Sport and Dynamic mode isn't too bad either but obviously no contest when you mention AM Bow down

I was thinking that I must look very nice during the winter, what time of the year did you do the Simplon pass, and was it with snow tires?

Christmas time. It was in my MY13 Black Edition Sport and I did put on winter tyres for the trip. Also carried snow chains to comply with the law but didn't need to use them despite tough conditions that we encountered some of the days around our ski resort (a small Swiss village up a mountain). Specifically for Simplon Pass, we wouldn't have needed winter tyres though because it is one of the few (if not the only) > 2000m passes that stays open throughout the year and they clear snow regularly so you drive on tarmac all the way. I will dig out some photos and post for you later. Although I must admit my photography skills are poor so the pictures won't be as good as yours. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #535692 Sun Sep 17 2017 8:41pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Some winter pics from the Italian side:

Simplon Pass:

Lauterbrunnen:

Kandersteg Smile

We got stuck here getting out of our apartment car park. 6 inches of snow over a layer of ice on a steep uphill ramp ... but really it was due to me stupidly stopping in the middle to check my dash cam (captured some amazing footage btw) and hence losing momentum Embarassed Could not move forward until I selected low range and then it was suddenly so easy:

Winter tyres came in really handy that day:

Still remember being stuck behind this BMW for ages Laughing It managed OK but just very slow:

Some general winter pics:

And summer in the current car:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Have done most of the passes including Stelvio. That entire region is just so beautiful in every season Bow down Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #535710 Sun Sep 17 2017 10:37pm
udash

Thanks fkarim, beautiful scenery, I think our combined collection may convince few more to do the same trip Very Happy

Post #535715 Mon Sep 18 2017 7:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1