RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Engine failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>

udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Updated on this, got my car back today after the full engine replacement. Drives well and came without any paint damages, which I feared as it was transported from Germany.
Dealer has not taken the engine apart, and said its going back to LR for full investigation.
I've asked LRCS if they could provide me some info, but I don't think that would happen, but I asked them to provide an extended warranty as a goodwill gesture and they said they will get back on that.
Dealer said engine replacement alone has a cost of around £15k. (FOC for me anyway)

This breakdown overshadowed our Europe road trip, which was so nice and (a working)RRS is a perfect vehicle for that Very Happy , I will create a new post with details and photos soon.

Post #535507 Fri Sep 15 2017 7:17pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

I'm sure a replacement engine through a dealer would cost something like that but from discussions with a friend in the auto industry I'd be suprised if the cost to produce the engine were more £3k. So a good result for you and not too painful for LR.
Tim

Post #535526 Fri Sep 15 2017 8:33pm
RRS-Si

United Kingdom 

Glad you got the engine sorted and hopefully you will be able to pick up your trip from where you left off. Thumbs Up

Post #535537 Fri Sep 15 2017 9:20pm
Nowaytk

England 

Looks like I’ve joined the club Big Cry ,MY15, had last service (main dealer) mid jan, 34000mls with extended warranty. So, under gentle acceleration heard a bang which sounded like it came from the rear?, looked at dash, 0 revs so coasting about 25mph, managed to coast it into a car park. Tried to re-start to hear just a click, even waited 10 mins, just in case, to hear the same thing, incidentally the dash was saying ‘gearbox fault’, so had to be recovered.
Latest from the tech at the dealer was that they’ve found metal particles in the oil and can’t turn it over without the belts, so looks like engine is seized, they’ve got more investigation to do and will keep me posted.
I was supposed to be trading it in tomorrow for a new velar I’d ordered but that has now been put on hold which is typical Rolling Eyes , I just hope they don’t try and say it’s not covered under the extended warranty Rolling Eyes
Worrying times 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone
2018 Velar R-Dynamic HSE sdv6 silicon silver

Post #551916 Tue Mar 20 2018 2:31pm
1JBS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Orkney Grey

Sorry to hear your news, it won't be covered by extended warranty

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic49343.html

unfortunately you now have to hope for goodwill from Land Rover which your repairing dealer should pursue on your behalf.
Good luck and please do let us know how you get on.

Post #551920 Tue Mar 20 2018 3:41pm
mikeyross

United Kingdom 

You have my sympathy, as someone who has suffered similarly, but was lucky being within the three years.

In the 400 miles since the new engine, it has been back to the dealer for failed sensors!!!

Good luck!

Post #551921 Tue Mar 20 2018 3:54pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Not too bad given you bought it from the dealer together with the extended warranty. If there are any issues, you just sue the dealer - either the car or the warranty wasn't fit for purpose and they sold you both. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #551930 Tue Mar 20 2018 5:00pm
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Looking on the bright side, you should be able to negotiate a better trade in price on the velar once they've fitted a new engine Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #551940 Tue Mar 20 2018 8:00pm
IRBails

Australia 

On the broken crank issue my son in law who is a diesel tech told me about engine cranks that were breaking at the journal due to incorrect machining, they left a sharper edge and this set up stress fractures. It did not happen with all engines only some where the machined crank had a sharper curve at the journal throw. Apparently took a long time to find the issue? M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #551944 Tue Mar 20 2018 9:49pm
Keithy

United Kingdom 

I have just come on tho the forum.

The engine on my previous RRS, 2010 siezed at 45000 miles and was replaced in its entirety, turbos and all under the JLR extended warranty scheme. Thank goodness I had extended. It was an £11000 parts bill, allegedly. I had a full dealer service history and it had been serviced only a week previously.

LR handled it immaculately, with an X5 on loan for the six weeks that it took to process the claim. They never really let on what the cause was though. It just juddered to a halt from 70 mph in the outside lane of the M5.

Hats off to the supplying dealer and to the LR warranty team but rather worrying to hear that the fundamental problem has still to be resolved by PSA/Ford or whoever manufactures the Lion V6.

Now, am I just twisting for my current (L494 292 BHP) engine to repeat the trick? No way. It's statistically very improbable....

-----------------

2014 RRS HSE, Corris; Defender 90, Windjammer; 2016 Boxster S; SWMBO Mini Cooper 1.5T

Post #552013 Wed Mar 21 2018 10:33pm
Nowaytk

England 

Was just wondering, for those who’ve experienced the crank issue, or knows what happens, does it just stop/judder to a halt or like mine, you are able to coast to a stop ? Only asking as I managed to coast 400yrds or so with the gear selector still showing ‘D’ and only when it had come to a slow stop I realised the brake peddle was hard and in ‘P’ with no chance of selecting neutral unless you do the em - release, I would of thought as the engine has seized everything would come to a sudden abrupt stop ? Maybe the electronics of the vehicle realised something was seriously wrong and disengaged the gearbox until it had stopped ?
Just waiting for LR to decide what route to take next, safe to say starting to stress a bit now Shocked 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone
2018 Velar R-Dynamic HSE sdv6 silicon silver

Post #552020 Thu Mar 22 2018 7:15am
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

in most, if not all, of the accounts I have read, the driver was able to coast to a stop. Still quite scary and dangerous if this happens when you're doing high speeds overtaking traffic in the fast lane.

So it looks like the ECU detects a loss of drive and then puts the gearbox goes into a fault/N mode. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #552023 Thu Mar 22 2018 8:11am
wilf

Any update on this? Are JLR standing by their warranty? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #552591 Thu Mar 29 2018 10:48am
Black Bess

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

naks wrote:
in most, if not all, of the accounts I have read, the driver was able to coast to a stop. Still quite scary and dangerous if this happens when you're doing high speeds overtaking traffic in the fast lane.

So it looks like the ECU detects a loss of drive and then puts the gearbox goes into a fault/N mode.

The torque convertor on the front of the transmission would allow the vehicle to coast to a stop even if the crankshaft has stopped turning. Unlike a manual transmission, engine and trans are connected by a fluid coupling not a solid drive.

I would be interested to hear the diagnosis of the engine though.

Adam..

Post #552592 Thu Mar 29 2018 10:58am
wilf

That is the issue - JLR are being tight-lipped about the root cause of these engine failures, everything we read about them is either supposition or from unofficial sources. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #552598 Thu Mar 29 2018 12:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>