RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Is this acceptable as approved used from dealer?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

G100TT

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red
Is this acceptable as approved used from dealer?

Hi everyone, am new here as previously owned an Evoque for 3 years and decided to step up a gear to the RR Sport which I've aspired to for a long time.
Trawled the internet for ages looking for the right car and visited dealers, some good some not so goood and must admit on that score alone some are better at communicating than others. Anyway found what I thought was my best car available at the price I was willing to pay and travelled over 100 miles for a test drive which was fine. As I was limited for time I only had a brief look around the vehicle at the time and agreed to purchase. Agreed to pick vehicle up a week later.
Having gone to pick up I noticed the drivers side deploy able step has paint missing ( see photo). I did mention this to the salesman and it was brushed off saying that the Valerie had tried to sort it but couldn't do anything with it.
I have also noticed since driving the car away that the door pillar has a dirty mark on it (presumably from the Valeter - can't believe I missed this on looking the car over) and there is a nasty stone chip on the tailgate (again missed on inspection as this (inspection) was carried out inside in a garage bay where lighting wasn't good).
Do members think that this is my fault for missing these things and I have no comeback to the dealer ( although I really don't want to be driving 100+ miles each way to get things sorted unless I have to) or do they think that I have good reason to complain?
Don't get me wrong I love the car, but my Evoque was pristine and I want this to be as well. Sorry guys for the moan on my first post but my euphoria was a little dented by this. Also my big problem is that time is very important to me because of my work.

Post #534785 Fri Sep 08 2017 7:56am
milesg

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black

Sorry to read this, takes the shine off the new car doesn't it...

I had a few things like that on mine. Paint chip, scratches etc. that I couldn't see in the dim lit area they showed me in.

I got them to take it back and sort it, which they did. Worth kicking up a fuss to get it right.

In reality they did not do as good a job as I would hope, however I have corrected a lot of it with my buffer and some good compounds but obvious things need sorting.

Hope you have a good chat with them and get what you need. Enjoy the car! 2016 RRS Autobiography - 4.4 TDV8 - Santorini Black with Ivory Leather - Grey Alloys - A few toys

Post #534786 Fri Sep 08 2017 8:25am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

welcome to the forum Thumbs Up sorry its under this circumstance

The side steps look like wear and tear, from the previous owner using them, so i wouldn't expect them to be in pristine condition as all its a used car

the dirty mark, should have been cleaned and the stone chip looks very fresh to me, so i would ask them to sort that out, i found a similar mark on my roof the day i picked it up and they took it back in and sorted it

ps, added photos to your post Thumbs Up

Post #534787 Fri Sep 08 2017 9:02am
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear, but imo you have to check these cars very carefully because once the deal is done things get a lot harder to sort out. All of what you mentioned should have been done when you saw the car they probably would have put new steps on it to get the deal done.
FFS owners on here have had big problems with new cars let alone a used one. Buyer beware!
Hope you get it sorted though. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #534790 Fri Sep 08 2017 10:42am
james5599

United Kingdom 

What's probably important in this case is context as in what age and mileage is the car......?! 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Post #534791 Fri Sep 08 2017 10:46am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

npinks wrote:
welcome to the forum Thumbs Up sorry its under this circumstance

The side steps look like wear and tear, from the previous owner using them, so i wouldn't expect them to be in pristine condition as all its a used car

the dirty mark, should have been cleaned and the stone chip looks very fresh to me, so i would ask them to sort that out, i found a similar mark on my roof the day i picked it up and they took it back in and sorted it

Entirely agree.

The odd thing about the side step is that the wear is on the side nearest the car, which doesn't get much wear, plus it's visible on the base level whereas you'd think it would only show on the raised ridge. However, I'm sure a very serviceable job could be made of touching that up, and it doesn't even show when they are retracted.

The upholstery mark should clean off with a bit of Cif.

The 'chip' does, as said here, look new (even more recent than when the o.p. viewed the car), and I would definitely want that repaired. I put inverted commas round 'chip' because it looks more like some other form mechanical damage, such as someone dropping something down the car or maybe opening the tailgate under an obstruction, to me.

Post #534792 Fri Sep 08 2017 11:14am
mark135800

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

We had our deployable side steps replaced under warranty because the paint came off. Apparently it was a known issue for a batch of them.

Post #534799 Fri Sep 08 2017 5:10pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Mark, That only generally applies to first owner.
The Sale of Goods Act for purchase of used motor vehicles, says that the purchaser must satisfy themselves re Bodywork and interior condition of items before purchase as acceptable. Damage found later is not covered by act but Dealer may repair for customer satisfaction reputation.
Engine/gearbox faults are different as cannot be seen as per Condition, unless stated as anything is faulty and known and accepted by customer. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #534806 Fri Sep 08 2017 6:39pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi and welcome Thumbs Up

I have just been looking around the dealers and sad to say there is considerable difference between how they are presented
and
what they consider "fair wear and tear" we have a showroom for New cars sir Exclamation
then when I walked the sales manager around the car, pointing out what I considered poor prep, he apologised and agreed it was not up to standard.

They should have plenty of products to do a good job of cleaning the trim and sorting the chip, but it would have been easier to sort when you picked it up, trying to do it from a distance is always going to be an issue, you have to decide if its worth it to you Question

They may not have seen the marks and wait for the customer to high light what they want doing
(car I have just walked away from they were going to replace the "B" pillar trim as I pointed out how badly worn it was, said they will not replace for anyone else unless they comment on it Shocked )

best of luck what ever you decide to do, enjoy it

Thumbs Up

Post #534808 Fri Sep 08 2017 6:56pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

You'll need to appeal to the dealer's kind side and work with them as I don't think the Consumer Rights Act will help. You inspected the car before purchase, consideration was paid for the S/H car, and if they were awkward could say the chip and mark could have happened at any time. 

Post #534843 Sat Sep 09 2017 7:36am
G100TT

james5599 wrote:
What's probably important in this case is context as in what age and mileage is the car......?!

The car is just two years old and done just 14k miles.
As I said I did point the sidestep out to the salesman at the time and he just brushed that off saying the valeter had tried to do something with it. Don't feel that's a valeting issue more a bodywork one.
I have emailed the salesman and stated that I'm not happy with these faults but no reply as yet.

Thanks for all your replies.

I just feel that when you pay in excess of 50k for something and JLR try and pride themselves on being prestige, that a little more care and effort should go into satisfying the customer by ensuring everything is spot on before going on the forecourt.

Also agree with whoever said there's a huge difference in standards in the JLR franchises.

Post #534847 Sat Sep 09 2017 8:06am
kmpowell

No it's not acceptable, they should be prepping better.

Having said that though, i'm quite anal about my cars, making sure I'm careful loading/unloading, getting in/out etc. But no matter how hard I've tried with the RRS, out of all the cars I've owned (which is quite a lot in the last 15yrs), I have never had a car pick up so many scuffs/marks/blemishes.

When I was looking for mine I couldn't believe the [what I considered to be] poorly prepped cars on forecourts, however after owning one for coming up to a year I can see why/how they get like it.

The quality of the materials in JLR compared to German Cars are poor which mean they mark/wear easily. The one thing I've learnt very quickly with JLR is you are paying for a badge/brand, not any sort of quality materials.

Whilst the RRS is a great car, this will probably be my first and last JLR product. SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Last edited by kmpowell on Sat Sep 09 2017 8:31am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #534850 Sat Sep 09 2017 8:28am
james5599

United Kingdom 

its definitely a prep issue, as others have stated you may need to appeal to the dealer better nature as you accepted the car as it stands......however as you ve said yourself JLR are a prestiege brand with accompanying prices and therefore should go the extra mile. That doesn't always apply however as I and others have found out. Franchises are of varying quality some are shambolic on their best day but others are better.

I d suggest softly softly is the way forward! 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Post #534851 Sat Sep 09 2017 8:29am
HossBog

United Kingdom 

My tack with this would be to send the dealer the pics and say this is the first time you've had a proper examination of the car - you'll clean the trim yourself but you want to understand how they can resolve the chip either through a nearby dealer or 'chipsaway' type operator (if any good and not impacting warranty).

Side steps are more difficult as you discussed and accepted their explanation, but equally you have now decided on reflection you don't believe the condition is acceptable and what can they do on this, either as a repaint or approved used warranty (or land rover parts warranty as dealer fit option) replacement.

Narrow down what you are looking for and help them help you.

I saw a FFRR and it was in a shocking condition....

Post #535030 Mon Sep 11 2017 5:45pm
G100TT

Strangely this is just about what I did on Friday. Emailed the salesman with pics and said 'love the car but' ...

Just had a reply to the effect that he will discuss it with his superior and get back to me. He still feels nothing can be done re the sidesteps though whereas I tend to disagree with him, especially as I stated I was not happy with them when I picked the car up.

He has asked for 24 hrs to come back to me so I shall see what tomorrow brings.

BTW anyone on here got the deployable steps...are they noisy when retracting?

Thanks for all your input guys... really appreciate it.

Post #535042 Mon Sep 11 2017 7:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>