RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > How many miles do you get from your tyres?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Danv8

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Alaska White
How many miles do you get from your tyres?

Ok today I've just replaced all 4 tyres. Looking through my box of invoices I found that I had my fronts last replaced on
20-1-14 and they've done 37,523 miles (continental uhp's 285/35/22). With wear at 1,1.6,1.6 (outside inwards)
The rears (same make and size as fronts)I had replaced on 7-5-14 and they done 34,612 miles. But to be honest both rears had 3,3,3mm across the tyre left, but I accidentally drove 1 when it was deflated and caused cracking in the sidewalls hence for the need to replace it, I've kept the other rear for a spare.

Post #534837 Fri Sep 08 2017 9:56pm
stornoway10

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Dan

I got exactly 30k out of the original Pirelli set and 40k out of a set of Kumhos, so you are doing ok in my view

Reecy

Post #534845 Sat Sep 09 2017 7:55am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

My Grabber ATs have done about 35k miles and have about 4mm left on average but the inside shoulders on all are more worn than the outside. They're down to about 3mm. They're being changed next Saturday for some AT3s.

Pretty good life for tyres on tired suspension (166k miles) Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #534872 Sat Sep 09 2017 4:13pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black
Re: How many miles do you get from your tyres?

Danv8 wrote:
Ok today I've just replaced all 4 tyres. Looking through my box of invoices I found that I had my fronts last replaced on
20-1-14 and they've done 37,523 miles (continental uhp's 285/35/22). With wear at 1,1.6,1.6 (outside inwards)
The rears (same make and size as fronts)I had replaced on 7-5-14 and they done 34,612 miles. But to be honest both rears had 3,3,3mm across the tyre left, but I accidentally drove 1 when it was deflated and caused cracking in the sidewalls hence for the need to replace it, I've kept the other rear for a spare.

You spotted those just in time with those tyre depths, as 1.6 and less generally means ending up with a ticket with 3-6 points and fine for each, the grip/drive with those on must have been hairy in the Rain? Whistle

I replace mine at 3-3.5 depth, and generally cover around 29k to 31k miles per set. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #534876 Sat Sep 09 2017 4:50pm
Danv8

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Alaska White

Johnski wrote:
You spotted those just in time with those tyre depths, as 1.6 and less generally means ending up with a ticket with 3-6 points and fine for each, the grip/drive with those on must have been hairy in the Rain? Whistle

I replace mine at 3-3.5 depth, and generally cover around 29k to 31k miles per set.

John

Low profile Tyres only come with 7mm tread from new, so changing them at 3-3.5mm seem like you only getting 50% out of them.

To be honest I'm not the sort to go hammering it into corners or hard around roundabouts, and even when i had a spirited blast i never had the tyres slip once, it was the outside shoulder that had disappeared that gave the game away. I have kept and eye on it for the last few months but something or other kept popping up meaning tyres where way laid till the next month and so on. Feeling the difference after having 4 new tyres fitted is night and day, I had a bit of steering wobble from 45mph onwards but it had been like that for such a long time i learned to live with it and ignored it.lol Turns out probably my fault for "washing off the old" wheel weights..lol.

I've replaced the Conti's with Nexen Roadians HP's (not HT's), rated 'C' economy and 'B' for wet grip and 75db's.
My old tyres were 'E' economy, 'A' wet grip and 76dbs.

Feeling really smooth, and really quiet so far, but im comparing them against tyres that for at least the last 6 months have been worn out and on the limit. ( they passed the MOT like that in February.

Post #535070 Tue Sep 12 2017 9:14am
garrycol

Australia 

My General Grabber ATs have now done 70,000km - like others worn on the inside and will have to be replaced soon but have lasted well. 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #535074 Tue Sep 12 2017 10:13am
Copilot

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I've found that by running summer tyres (Hankook Ventus ST) in the warm weather and replacing them with winter tyres (Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme) when the weather drops I'm getting a greatly reduced wear rate on both sets - my summer tyres were fitted brand new in March 2015 and 20,000 miles later (with the winters having done another 15,000) they still look like they've got 6mm left. I live down in the south east and although it rarely drops below freezing during winter, it gets up to 30 degrees every summer... I suppose it makes a difference if you take your local climate into account.

Post #535076 Tue Sep 12 2017 10:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1