Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > osr door wont open
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

adameverett

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
osr door wont open

Hi guys
Help please! my osr door won't open. I replaced the actuator on it last week been fine now it refuses to open. Tried the dash unlock button at same time as inside and outside handle. I have taken the inside handle out and tried tugging cable back and forth still no joy. any clues what to try next?

Is it possible to remove door card when door closed? Not sure that would do much good because I would not be able to access the torx keeping the actuator in place.

My fear is the new actuator is caput. I can hear a clicking when unlocking but no joy.

Any advice please desperate for advice! 2005 rrs

Post #507343 Sat Oct 08 2016 3:16pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Sounds as if there is a problem with the small motor that operates the deadlock. How is the voltage on your battery? I saw your other post about intermittent loss of the rear camera and wondered if it might be related to low volts.
Maybe try connecting another battery in parallel (like a jump start) or after fully charging the car's battery and try getting someone to push hard on the door from the outside to take the load off the door latch whilst pressing the remote button?

There is a destructive method mentioned previously for a similar problem with the front door that involves removing the window trim and bashing the door latch mechanism to pieces with a long screwdriver after first protecting the window glass with gaffer tape. Wouldn't be top of my list though, I hate destructive methods. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #507353 Sat Oct 08 2016 6:30pm
adameverett

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I thought I would post an update on my door lock issue. I spoke with the guy from LR trade parts http://lrtradeparts.co.uk/ and explained the lock had failed 2 weeks in after fitting. Apparently when they do fail they can get jammed and the only way is to brute force destruction to get them removed Big Cry . LR trade parts returns procedure is a carrier swap out, but explaining this was going to be difficult as I can only work on the car at weekends so would leave the car unlocked for a period until an exchange is arranged I was able to put a £20 deposit down on a second unit shipped and get a refund on the exchange on return. So Thumbs Up LR Trade Parts for their help.

Got to work Saturday morning,

1. Removed the door trim. Use some plastic pry bars to save damaging the trim. (lots of articles on this so wont go in too much detail)
2. Remove the speaker.
3. Let the window down a couple of inches and put your hand in the hole, feel the white window clip. Pry open the clip and sharp yank the window upwards to free from the winder mechanism.
4. Undo the window winder nuts and slide the mechanism over to the right. Simply use an old rag to hold the window up and out of harm from dropping down. (wedge the rag between the top of the mechanism)

Click image to enlarge

Anyhow having the old lock still at to hand I studied the mechanism and there is a cam arm inside the lock that could maybe manually activated/picked which could free the lock mechanism. Any idea was worth a shot before brute force and trashing the lock so figured to give it ago. Idea

I took some photos of the old lock I removed that was playing up. Added some arrows on the pics to show what and where to start "picking"

Click image to enlarge

To get access to this you need to break off a small piece of the plastic that covers the end of the mechanism. The whole procedure is a little tricky as you need to go blind and feel the lock in the door panel. And trying this blind is testing Evil or Very Mad A good point of reference for feel is the door cable latch at the bottom of the lock. from here work your way up a bit and simple pull back and break off the tab of plastic covering the end of the side of the lock.

Trick is to find a right angle tool that you can get in and try to lift the cam. There is not much room as its quite tight against the side of outer door skin. A bit of searching the tool case and best tool for the job was 5mm allen key. This seemed to fit perfectly and allowed me to lift the cam upwards. Wink

Bingo Very Happy

Door swings open and access to the lock for removal,

Click image to enlarge

Removal of the lock it appears the electrical side has jammed the lock in a "Locked" state. So the cam that contacts the outer door handle was not contacting. The inside door handle was also rendered inoperable (obviously)

This isn't going to work in every scenario but if it helps someone else then that's great after all the great advice I have gleaned from here. Thumbs Up

adam.

Post #508011 Mon Oct 17 2016 9:56pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up nice to see a well thought out solution, Congratulations. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #508050 Tue Oct 18 2016 4:44pm
NeilRRS

United Kingdom 

adameverett wrote:
I thought I would post an update on my door lock issue. I spoke with the guy from LR trade parts http://lrtradeparts.co.uk/ and explained the lock had failed 2 weeks in after fitting. Apparently when they do fail they can get jammed and the only way is to brute force destruction to get them removed Big Cry . LR trade parts returns procedure is a carrier swap out, but explaining this was going to be difficult as I can only work on the car at weekends so would leave the car unlocked for a period until an exchange is arranged I was able to put a �20 deposit down on a second unit shipped and get a refund on the exchange on return. So Thumbs Up LR Trade Parts for their help.

Got to work Saturday morning,

1. Removed the door trim. Use some plastic pry bars to save damaging the trim. (lots of articles on this so wont go in too much detail)
2. Remove the speaker.
3. Let the window down a couple of inches and put your hand in the hole, feel the white window clip. Pry open the clip and sharp yank the window upwards to free from the winder mechanism.
4. Undo the window winder nuts and slide the mechanism over to the right. Simply use an old rag to hold the window up and out of harm from dropping down. (wedge the rag between the top of the mechanism)

Click image to enlarge

Anyhow having the old lock still at to hand I studied the mechanism and there is a cam arm inside the lock that could maybe manually activated/picked which could free the lock mechanism. Any idea was worth a shot before brute force and trashing the lock so figured to give it ago. Idea

I took some photos of the old lock I removed that was playing up. Added some arrows on the pics to show what and where to start "picking"

Click image to enlarge

To get access to this you need to break off a small piece of the plastic that covers the end of the mechanism. The whole procedure is a little tricky as you need to go blind and feel the lock in the door panel. And trying this blind is testing Evil or Very Mad A good point of reference for feel is the door cable latch at the bottom of the lock. from here work your way up a bit and simple pull back and break off the tab of plastic covering the end of the side of the lock.

Trick is to find a right angle tool that you can get in and try to lift the cam. There is not much room as its quite tight against the side of outer door skin. A bit of searching the tool case and best tool for the job was 5mm allen key. This seemed to fit perfectly and allowed me to lift the cam upwards. Wink

Bingo Very Happy

Door swings open and access to the lock for removal,

Click image to enlarge

Removal of the lock it appears the electrical side has jammed the lock in a "Locked" state. So the cam that contacts the outer door handle was not contacting. The inside door handle was also rendered inoperable (obviously)

This isn't going to work in every scenario but if it helps someone else then that's great after all the great advice I have gleaned from here. Thumbs Up

adam.

Old post but still useful as my new lock also locked me out and I had to conduct the above to get in again...

Post #534187 Thu Aug 31 2017 4:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1