RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Detailing & Car Cleaning > G Technic nearly 3 years after Autoglym Lifeshine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
G Technic nearly 3 years after Autoglym Lifeshine

I took my car into the local "detailers" as I have a couple of bramble rash scratches on the front wheel arches and one that looks like either a light keying all down the offside or a supermarket trolley has been dragged down it. The car was treated with Autoglym Lifeshine before delivery and while it hasn't been as effective as the Gardex system I had on previous cars, it isn't too bad at keeping a shine and still beads rain water off after 2.5 years. The detailer recommended that touch up painting wasn't necessary and that a really good detail with a G Technic system would remove all of the bramble rash scratches and problably the scratch along the full offside too. Does anybody know if it is wise to add one polish system over an earlier one? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #533545 Tue Aug 22 2017 7:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

If the detailed is going to remove the scratches etc then he is going to use an abrasive compound to polish out the blemishes thus removing the Life shine , so really not applying over the top

Post #533554 Tue Aug 22 2017 8:06pm
Tim in Scotland

Thanks, I'm getting the whole car detailed at the same time which was why I asked. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #533557 Tue Aug 22 2017 8:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

lifeshine can be removed by washing up liquid or stronger TFR's

If you are having a full machine polish, they will remove the Life Shine in doing so, so heading towards another finishing procuct

Which G-Techniq product are you been advised to plump for?

Post #533585 Wed Aug 23 2017 9:11am
Danv8

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Alaska White

As with most products life shine is a decent product, but ONLY if the preparation and application was done correctly. Dealers nowadays sell this at stupid money, then have temporary labour quickly washing, slapping this stuff on and buffing off in an hour and say there you go. Gtechniq is by far a superior brand and for it to be applied to get the protection it offers, the detailer will strip your paint back to get rid of all impurities and contamination. Depending on what sort of polishing you are having done it should be a full day for decontamination and application including curing time.

Post #533599 Wed Aug 23 2017 1:09pm
Tim in Scotland

The detailer is both GTechnic and Autoglym Approved! He said he would need the car in for 2days minimum, I haven't asked which GTechnic system they would use but the quote And as it was a month ago I cannot remember what the quote was as I am now away working abroad. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #533600 Wed Aug 23 2017 1:33pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Danv8 wrote:
As with most products life shine is a decent product, but ONLY if the preparation and application was done correctly. Dealers nowadays sell this at stupid money, then have temporary labour quickly washing, slapping this stuff on and buffing off in an hour and say there you go.

My local LR dealer doesn't get temporary labour to slap the stuff on, they charge £399 for Pureguard, then take it round to a local sub-contractor who charges £60 for temporary labour to slap it on! Laughing

Post #533602 Wed Aug 23 2017 1:50pm
Danv8

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Alaska White

Tim in Scotland wrote:
The detailer is both GTechnic and Autoglym Approved! He said he would need the car in for 2days minimum, I haven't asked which GTechnic system they would use but the quote And as it was a month ago I cannot remember what the quote was as I am now away working abroad.

The sounds about right i was assuming at least a day without taking in to consideration of polishing (if needed).

If this was then guy who applied you life shine then that's probably why its lasted as it should as he's done it properly, most other experiences are how i put it in my last post.lol

Post #533664 Thu Aug 24 2017 9:58am
Tim in Scotland

An update - the car is going in tomorrow for the full GTechnic Crystal Serum treatment - the car will be returned on Saturday lunchtime. I took it to the same detailer last week for a wash and whatever they used for a hand wash that took 45 minutes made the car look like it had just come out of the showroom! For the period without the RRS the Mini centre just along the road from the detailers Is lending me their Countryman PHEV for an extended test drive until Saturday. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Tue Oct 31 2017 5:36pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #539749 Tue Oct 31 2017 8:03am
Cymruambyth

Wales 

donny dog wrote:
Danv8 wrote:
As with most products life shine is a decent product, but ONLY if the preparation and application was done correctly. Dealers nowadays sell this at stupid money, then have temporary labour quickly washing, slapping this stuff on and buffing off in an hour and say there you go.

My local LR dealer doesn't get temporary labour to slap the stuff on, they charge £399 for Pureguard, then take it round to a local sub-contractor who charges £60 for temporary labour to slap it on! Laughing

Surprised Laughing Steve.

Post #539790 Tue Oct 31 2017 1:22pm
RRS_FR

France 

If it helps me ex had the crystals serum treatment
Did wonders for 7 days then the old body work cracks re appeared

Hope your treatment lasts longer ! Laughing --------------------------------
2011 Autobiography, Fuji white, Le Mans interior
2006 HSE Black / beige 3 years from new
1986 RR Classic - metallic blue / grey - fantastic car

Post #539791 Tue Oct 31 2017 1:30pm
RRS_FR

France 

I apologise............
Taking you off thread
However that's the problem with northern humor! --------------------------------
2011 Autobiography, Fuji white, Le Mans interior
2006 HSE Black / beige 3 years from new
1986 RR Classic - metallic blue / grey - fantastic car

Post #539792 Tue Oct 31 2017 1:32pm
Tim in Scotland

Interesting conversation with one of the guys at the detailing company - he was employed as part of the prep team for the local BMW and Mini Dealers where his wife is sales Manager in the Mini side....... they dismissed him because he was doing too good a job and taking too long to prep cars, he felt that for what people were paying he should give them a proper prep and polish......... I will have to grill him about Gardex as I have had that finish on 2 previous cars and that is what the Mini and BMW outlets apply at extra cost, my experience with Gardex was very favourable but it was applied by the UK head office not at a dealership....... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #539794 Tue Oct 31 2017 1:43pm
KennyR

Scotland 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
An update - the car is going in tomorrow for the full GTechnic Crystal Serum treatment - the car will be returned on Saturday lunchtime. I took it to the same detailer last week for a wash and whatever they used for a hand wash that took 45 minutes made the car look like it had just come out of the showroom! For the period without the RRS the Mini centre just along the road from the stalkers is leading me their Countryman PHEV for an extended test drive until Saturday.

Tim, who are the Detailers you’re using? ____________________
Current: MY2019 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography in Carpathian Grey
Gone: MY2015 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography in Corris Grey with ebony and lunar leather
Gone: MY2013 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition in Orkney Grey, piano trim, black leather with contrast stitch

Post #539800 Tue Oct 31 2017 3:18pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
For the period without the RRS the Mini centre just along the road from the stalkers is leading me their Countryman PHEV for an extended test drive until Saturday.

Is that the name of the detailers or have you got some weirdo following you?

Post #539807 Tue Oct 31 2017 3:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>