RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Should I fit Tracker to a MY17 with In-Control Secure?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

donny dog

United Kingdom 
Should I fit Tracker to a MY17 with In-Control Secure?

My insurance company doesn't require Tracker, so I'm interested to know what, if anything, I would gain by fitting Tracker to a MY17 RRS which already has the Cat 6 In-Control Secure system. I live in an isolated area, and sometimes leave the car unattended for long periods. (It's hopefully not likely to be stolen, but, if it were, I would want to know for peace of mind). I also leave it unattended at airports in 'secure' parking, again, the same concern applies. I'm not clear what In-Control Secure would give me in terms of notification if my car were moved, but, when I've checked on it's location using the phone app. from abroad, it doesn't always work. What would Tracker do in these circumstances? What I really want is to know that 'no news is good news' with a degree of certainty that the system I rely on is up to the job - I'm less concerned about retrieving the car if it were stolen. Any advice would be gratefully received!

Post #533237 Sat Aug 19 2017 12:25pm
RRS-Si

United Kingdom 

Hi Donny funny you asked this question mate as I was thinking the same. As you know I pick mine new RRS AB up in a few weeks and after some advice from a few member on here who have fitted tracker cat 5 plus I wanted to know am I being over protective on the car or if it was stolen would I want it back after so scum bag has had their hands all over my new pride and joy Censored

I am hoping to speak to Tracker and get some discount as others have mentioned and also see if they can spread the subscription fee on a monthly direct debit to soften another outlay..... Rolling Eyes

I am with Admiral at the moment and like you live in the remote countryside and never been asked for one. Even when I informed Admiral I had the cat 6 one fitted to the my new loan RRS it didn't do anything to reduce my premium. However recently a handful of farmers defender vehicle have been stolen with a 30 mins drove of my house Shocked

Post #533241 Sat Aug 19 2017 1:15pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

More likely to get it back with a Cat 5!!

Amongst other features, your CAT 5 tracker includes Level 1 police response, automatic driver recognition (ADR), key theft protection and remote immobilisation. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #533242 Sat Aug 19 2017 2:36pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

....and it has three detection tracking systems, which even detects inside containers, any movement, lifting of vehicle, underground car parks, even if they have your key fob, you are still protected with the one that has been spoken about.

An example, my car was parked in my garage and I was taking the battery out, (to replace) I had only just taken the first lead off battery and my mobile phone was ringing in my pocket, it was Tracker checking my car and what was happening, they were checking as had already alerted their first response, knew my exact location and fact it wasn't on road etc, you couldn't have asked for a more speedy professional service. Thumbs Up

I'm sure they offer a payment system if paying for more than one year, as you can pay up to five years cover at a time. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #533244 Sat Aug 19 2017 2:55pm
RRS-Si

United Kingdom 

I noticed the tracker cat 5 plus doesn't have Remote Engine Immobilisation from the listed spec. Not sure if this has been added to the latest model, sure someone will let correct me who has one already fitted. I know other makes have it ie Vodafone (formally Cobra) Protect and Connect cat 5. However Tracker cat 5 plus says it has a better frequency to find cars even underground etc via VHF frequency??

I read an interesting thread on the FullfatRR forum of someones brand new range rover stolen from his drive without the keys and had the standard LR cat 6 fitted. He only knew about it being stolen when he received a call from LR stolen tracker services informing him his car had been moved without the keys present. It was tracked to a field by the police but never found again....
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic43492.html

Luckily the guys insurance paid out for him but LR response to this chap was shocking.....

I think as long as you have full GAP insurance to cover the loss on your car if it does get stolen can also be a life saver. I think adding a tracker is worthwhile but it's seems penny pinching again from LR to only fit the basic Cat 6 tracker without the added upgrades. Also the Incontrol secure tracker app can often take ages to update your cars location, especially if your away from home and in poor phone signal Whistle

Post #533246 Sat Aug 19 2017 3:04pm
syl

United Kingdom 

The major difference with a Cat 5 tracker as opposed to a Cat 6 tracker is that it can detect that your vehicle is stolen with the keys. To do that, with Cat 5 you have to carry an additional widget separate to your key.

Everyone I know with a cat 5 system within a couple of weeks puts the widget on their keyring, uses an elastic band to couple jt to the key or leaves it in the car - because they get Censored off at forgetting the widget.

Post #533252 Sat Aug 19 2017 5:31pm
james5599

United Kingdom 

Trackers are generally reactive rather than preventative .

Why not go down the preventative route and have the incontrol tracker as a back up.

I.e ghost or similar and something like a decent steering lock.

What you're doing there is 'layering' and that's what good security is all about . Multiple layers to make it to much hassle to bother with, and your ll always benefit from Joe bloggs down the road who doesn't do anything therefore is the softer target.

Regards

Post #533254 Sat Aug 19 2017 6:44pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the replies! Smile

Most of the advantages listed are connected with car recovery, which is low down my priorities. I do have GAP insurance, and I'm not sure I'd want the car back if it were stolen. What I need is a system which I can trust which will let me know IF the car is stolen or interfered with, so that I can rest easy if I leave it for six weeks and hear nothing. (I have a similar protection on my house which would contact me in the event of intruders, and for the same reason). So, what I really need to know is whether the LR system would contact me if the car were stolen and whether it can be trusted to do so. (The story about the FFRR mentioned above does seem to imply that an owner would indeed be contacted, but I don't know how reliably).

Post #533257 Sat Aug 19 2017 7:54pm
Johnski

The Cat 5 model I have notify you about everything very fast, even when abroad and my car was moved by the Airport parking company, in fact I followed the route they took on map on my phone, and it was reported as stolen, as it shouldn't have been driven outside holding area. Very quickly recovered and back in 30 minutes by Police.
Cut long story short employee was prosecuted for taking and driving away without permission, no insurance etc. I didn't pay for parking as refunded etc.

So Yes, you would be quickly notified, even if with key fob, and you can view all trips you have taken in previous x weeks.
Also if anything is trying to be disconnected or car lifted etc. The Tracker company is excellent and only one that has first line contact with police and their cars and traffic cameras. I also have GAP insurance but I want my car back, unless written off. Whistle John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #533261 Sat Aug 19 2017 8:09pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

donny dog wrote:
Thanks for all the replies! Smile

Most of the advantages listed are connected with car recovery, which is low down my priorities. I do have GAP insurance, and I'm not sure I'd want the car back if it were stolen. What I need is a system which I can trust which will let me know IF the car is stolen or interfered with, so that I can rest easy if I leave it for six weeks and hear nothing. (I have a similar protection on my house which would contact me in the event of intruders, and for the same reason). So, what I really need to know is whether the LR system would contact me if the car were stolen and whether it can be trusted to do so. (The story about the FFRR mentioned above does seem to imply that an owner would indeed be contacted, but I don't know how reliably).

Your factory system will contact LR if it is moved or tampered with, works fine.

If you do not put it in transport mode, you very quickly get a call from LR. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #533263 Sat Aug 19 2017 8:23pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Thanks again everyone!

One further series of specific questions: in my circumstances, would I be better with Tracker Cat 5 Plus or Autowatch Ghost, which I've also seen recommended on here?

What is the Ghost annual fee, I can't seem to find out from their site? (I see the installation cost is a lot less than Tracker). What Thatcham category is it?

Post #533268 Sat Aug 19 2017 8:35pm
Johnski

There isn't generally a Installation fee charged for fitting the Tracker unit, its free, just the cost of Tracker and whatever length of subscription you require. Thumbs Up John

Post #533269 Sat Aug 19 2017 8:39pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

That's what I meant by fee - how much would you have to pay per annum for the Ghost subscription?

Post #533271 Sat Aug 19 2017 8:49pm
james5599

United Kingdom 

Zero. Well if you want to use the phone app it's 10 pound one off purchase.

Post #533277 Sat Aug 19 2017 10:55pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Thanks! It makes sense on reflection as Ghost doesn't provide any tracking type services. What I now realise is that Tracker and Ghost provide two entirely different functions, and what I could really do with is both!

One final question (hopefully!) - as there is no ongoing service or payment, what happens if Ghost goes wrong and your car won't start? Do they have an emergency type service (presumably this would have to be paid for)?

Post #533283 Sun Aug 20 2017 7:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>