RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Lubricating Turbo Actuator on 3.0 TDV6 TT MY2010
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Matt.Over

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Lubricating Turbo Actuator on 3.0 TDV6 TT MY2010

Hello All (newbie here),

A bit of background. Now and again I get the 'reduced performance' red triangle (4 times in the last 3 months). Switch off and start up a few minutes later and it has gone. When the car is working it pulls really well and is responsive. The error has not always occurred with me driving it (sometimes the Mrs) and I am finding it hard to pin point the reasoning.

The car has done long journeys on the motorway for 2 hours+, short journeys in traffic in London, been driven in a 'hearty manner' into the red line and we have no issues. The only slight pattern is the last two times it has happened at the top of the same hill just as it changes into a higher gear (may not be relevant)

I had the codes read by an Indi and reset. They referred to the following:

P00BD - MAP & MASS range / performance - Air Flow Too High
P1247 - Turbocharger boost pressure low
P0235 - Turbocharger boost sensor A circuit
P22D2 - Turbocharger inlet valve stuck open
P22CF - Turbocharge turbine inlet valve control circuit - Open

There are many threads on here referring to most of these codes with some simple DIY jobs such as checking the hoses for the turbo, cleaning the MAF'S and MAPs etc which I am going through the process of trying first before booking it in again with the Indi.

Which leads me to my request for help. I have spent an hour or so searching the forum and whilst I have found some info on the 2.7V6, can not find a clear set of instructions for the 3.0TDV6 TT on how to check and lubricate the turbo actuators.

Would anyone be able to give me a clue on where to start?

Thanks in advance

Post #531467 Thu Jul 27 2017 5:36pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I don't know about the 3.0, but if those bottom 2 codes come back, I would be more thinking you need a new electric actuator on the turbo (or turbo A)

Post #531504 Fri Jul 28 2017 9:02am
Matt.Over

Andy K,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You may well be right there. However I thought before I took it in I would try and have a go at lubricating it / them to see if it made any difference (I would have thought if it was totally shot it would not be so intermittent - but definitely not an expert).

I found the following on www.aulro.com regarding a 3.0TT Disco 4 (presuming the same engine). This is what I want to do, sounds relatively simple but have no idea what I am looking for!

My Disco 4 3L TT also hit Reduced Performance mode recently with fault P22D2 logged, which translates to "turbo actuator stuck open". For me it was the secondary turbo on the right hand side and only noticeable under heavy load or acceleration.

Ended up fixing with WD40 and a screwdriver without removing anything.

Well worth taking a look in the engine bay after you look at the computer screen.

Any idea on how to find out where the actuators are? Also you mention anew electric actuator. Is it a stand alone part or does it come with part of a larger assembly?

Thanks again

Post #531534 Fri Jul 28 2017 4:30pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Have a look at the guides for the 2.7 engine.

You basically go in through the wheel arches, and use a bent coat hanger to move the rod after applying oil.
Alternatively turning the ignition on and off should move the rods, and you should then be able to find what you are looking for. Rolling with laughter (with torch) and help the oil get to the right places.

I would have thought it was a body off job to replace the electric bit, which is bolted to the turbo

Post #531538 Fri Jul 28 2017 5:14pm
Matt.Over

OK, sounds like a plan. That is Sunday morning sorted! Smile

Thanks again for taking the time

Post #531574 Sat Jul 29 2017 8:25am
Godders

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hi Matt, just wondering if you ever got to the problem of this and if so what exactly solved and fixed your issues as I have the same. Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Post #570210 Fri Nov 30 2018 5:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1