RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Budget of £25-£30K do i get a TD, SD or Supercharge?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Henners

England 
Budget of £25-£30K do i get a TD, SD or Supercharge?

Hi, I am looking at buying my first RRS and wanted to know what is the best to go for I have a budget of £25-£30k Do I go for TD, SD or full on Supercharge (just how insane are the running costs) and is there any particular year/change overs that are known for problems? It seems the list of variants is endless on spec but need a starting point

Post #531020 Sun Jul 23 2017 3:39pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Go for SDV6 with 8 speed box (rotary gear knob)
HSE spec.
Personally I'd get one from a main dealer with your budget as it will come with a 2 year warranty which you WILL need Thumbs Up
Search the entire UK dealership stock on the Approved Used section of LR official site...
http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/?_...1474559731 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #531029 Sun Jul 23 2017 4:54pm
PEACHY

England 

Welcome to the forum Thumbs Up

I'm looking at putting my RRS AB up for sale - was going to do it today but was a little hungover. It has 7 months Landrover warranty & is transferable. As DrRob suggested approved used is the way to go but you can extend mine next Feb at a cost of £1070 ( approx ) this I'm willing to negotiate with a potential buyer hence competing with the dealership but you will be purchasing a Sport that's been loved Whistle
If your interested I can send you a pm with contact details even if it's just for a chat - it really is a lovely example with a massive spec Wink

Good luck with your search whatever you decide Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #531035 Sun Jul 23 2017 6:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Loads to choose from sub £30K Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #531038 Sun Jul 23 2017 7:14pm
PEACHY

England 

^^^^^ only 5 with less mileage than mine ( 39200 ) ^^^^^ unless I'm reading it wrong Rolling Eyes

Let's be honest the only benefit with approved used is warranty - apart from that my experiences have been awful. We probably know more about theses motors than most sales reps Whistle
Even the finance is Censored 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.

Post #531039 Sun Jul 23 2017 7:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PEACHY

England 

In response to the original question - TDV6 was replaced by the SDV6 with small exterior changes with a one piece powered tailgate & changes in the cabin.
The 5lt Supercharged is a beast Mr. Green my 4.2 did 13mpg I couldn't comment on the newer 5lt but it can't be much more Big Cry if you have the urge it's worth at least a test drive.
The variations from the different badge spec can change depending on the original purchasers requirements at the time of order.
It does seem the later Luxury - Black edition HSE models do have a lot of extras. There was a red edition owned by a forum member that had every box ticked Whistle

If you find any your interested in post the link on here - you are in the right place for help & advice on the RRS Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............

Post #531040 Sun Jul 23 2017 7:50pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

What are going to do with it? How many miles a month are you likely to drive it?

If it's going to be low miles / month, spending most of its time being polished then you may as well get the Supercharged. If you're going to do 2000 miles / month then the SDV6 would be sensible for its better fuel use.

If you want to tow then diesel would be better as the fuel use hit from towing would make the Supercharged a bit painful. If you want to take it off road then avoid any body kits. Look for one with towing electrics already fitted.

Trim levels are quite variable so you probably need to check each one has the bits you want. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #531044 Sun Jul 23 2017 8:24pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

I had a red edition 2012/62 & to be honest I should have kept it another year,,I px'd it 12 month ago with only 33000 miles on clock & got 29.5k for it against a 2014 AB,,they are still bringing about 25k now with low mileage.

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #531056 Sun Jul 23 2017 9:22pm
HappyHammer

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

I bought a 5L S/c in April this year. She's a Sept 2011. Absolutely love it and will be taking it down to France in September/October.

I was in the same position as you. Diesel or petrol? My budget was £25-£27k. All the kindly folk here gave me a ton of info to help start my search. This, and a ton of other research allowed me to find one with just 47k on the clock. I got mine from a great dealership Jct9.com in Chertsey, London. Have a look at their site.

In terms of mpg, not sure in an urban area as I use it mostly for big, open road drives. Here I get between 20-22mpg. It took me a few months to find a S/c to drive so I test drove some diesels to get a feel for the car(my first of this type) until found one. In the meantime I put together a spreadsheet for all the stuff I wanted to check, split inside and outside. When I went to test drive the S/c I had two clipboards. One for me - outside, and one for my wife - inside. We checked the car over checking each point as we went along. As other members point out, this will stop you getting caught up in the moment and being 'dazzled' by the dealer - and the car itself, if it's your first like this.

Good luck with your decision and if mileage isn't an issue...go for S/c. RRS 2011. 5L, S/c in Sumatra Black. She's lurvely.

Post #531061 Sun Jul 23 2017 9:40pm
tom0311

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

If you're not doing a lot of miles a year might as well get the SC. I recently switched from a 2008 2.7 diesel (the old slower engine) to a 2010 5.0 SC as my annual mileage more than halved. Unbelievable engine. The newer diesels are a good drive too of course, but you can't beat the feel of the SC IMO. I just went to Yorkshire for the week and managed to get about 230 miles with a quarter of a tank left. My 2.7 wasn't much better than that. Round town it's obviously a lot worse.

Post #531065 Sun Jul 23 2017 10:01pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

S/C everytime but then I am biased. Mr. Green

PEACHY wrote:
In response to the original question - TDV6 was replaced by the SDV6 with small exterior changes with a one piece powered tailgate & changes in the cabin.
The 5lt Supercharged is a beast Mr. Green my 4.2 did 13mpg I couldn't comment on the newer 5lt but it can't be much more Big Cry if you have the urge it's worth at least a test drive. Thumbs Up

Mine averages around 13/14 mpg, on a run the best I ever had is 19/20mpg anymore and you must be driving it like "Miss Daisy".

Unless you are serious about the S/C I wouldn't test drive one as nothing else will compare, except perhaps a SVR, and I don't think you will get one of those for 30k yet. Rolling with laughter

Cheers
Col

Post #531075 Sun Jul 23 2017 11:07pm
Smarttech

United Kingdom 

I bought a 2012 sdv6 with 28k on the clock in February this year from a main dealer which I love but often think it could do with a bit more get up and go but on a run I get 34 mpg and 26 mpg round town so I'm happy with that. I looked at the S/C but decided it would cost me a small fortune in fuel as I know I would hammer it all the time if I had 500 bhp to play with and the RRS was ment to be the sensible car so never drove one but I do love the sound of a V8.

After 6 months with the diesel would I change to a S/C ? No as I think the sdv6 is fine for a big heavy bus like a RRS for me. 2017 SVR. SVO Scafell grey Ebony interior
2012 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography santorini black with ebony/cirrus interior. Gone

Post #531081 Mon Jul 24 2017 7:30am
HappyHammer

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

"Mine averages around 13/14 mpg, on a run the best I ever had is 19/20mpg anymore and you must be driving it like "Miss Daisy"."

Cheers
Col[/quote]

I shall adjust my bonnet and flatten my dress accordingly.. Rolling with laughter RRS 2011. 5L, S/c in Sumatra Black. She's lurvely.

Post #531083 Mon Jul 24 2017 8:13am
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

Just beware of the tendency of the SDV6 engine to snap its crankshaft, big repair bill when it does. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #531084 Mon Jul 24 2017 9:21am
Flat0ut

My Overfinch is for sale and well in your budget. Also local to you if you want to come and have a look. I have run it for three years without a warranty and never had any issues so if you get a 'good one' a warranty isn't strictly necessary IMHO - you can instead save the money into a 'just in case' pot instead.

Link to my RRS: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/112466951774?roken=cUgayN via @eBay_UK

Post #531093 Mon Jul 24 2017 1:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>