Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Flat Battery Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Portman Len

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Flat Battery Advice

Hi Guys,

Just returned to Stansted from a week away, and used the Meet & Greet service, so didn't park my MY 2011 RRS myself. Upon returning to the airport, I was advised that the battery was flat, and that the car could not start, and despite trying to jump the car, they couldn't get it going.

So, I was taken over to the Long Stay Car Park where the car had been parked, and noticed a few oddities. Firstly, the car had been unlocked and the door mirrors had opened (despite them automatically closing when locked) and secondly, all of the interior lights had been left in the on position (I handed the car over at 3.30am which may explain that.)

The AA turned-up, and jumped the car straight away using a heavy-duty battery pack, but the AA man did suggest that either the car wasn't locked correctly, or that the interior light had been left on. If the latter, surely the light would have switched off when the car was locked, and if it wasn't locked, would that explain why the wing mirrors were in the open position despite there being no power when the car was unlocked?

Thanks for any advice. 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE

Post #530434 Sat Jul 15 2017 8:46pm
CANROVER

Canada 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Sounds like the attendant parked your car and simply walked away not checking interior lights or even locking it. Was anything stolen?

Post #530518 Sun Jul 16 2017 10:47pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Bet he didn't lower the suspension to access height too 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #530526 Mon Jul 17 2017 7:39am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I doubt the battery as fully charged when it was left. A full battery ought to handle the load from the internal lights for a week. The ECUs power down after a set period after key removal. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #530536 Mon Jul 17 2017 9:15am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Just sounds like a case of a failing battery.
The interior lights will extinguish themselves after a period of time if accidentally left on.
It is perfectly possible that the battery had enough power to activate the central locking but insufficient to start the engine.
Why not fully charge the battery overnight using a smart charger (simply running even for longish trips won't do this) and see if the problem re-occurs? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #530544 Mon Jul 17 2017 1:05pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

RRSTDV8 wrote:
A full battery ought to handle the load from the internal lights for a week. The ECUs power down after a set period after key removal.

And in the real world, the car won't start if the doors are left open for an hour

Post #530566 Mon Jul 17 2017 4:45pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Really? With a fully charged battery? Not my experience. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #530567 Mon Jul 17 2017 5:04pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Yep, a friend of mine left the tailgate and a rear passenger door of his TDv8 open over lunch time on a sunny day and we had to jumpstart his car from my Defender. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #530568 Mon Jul 17 2017 5:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CANROVER

Canada 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

RRSTDV8 wrote:
A full battery ought to handle the load from the internal lights for a week. The ECUs power down after a set period after key removal.

Not true and I wouldn't dare challenge that either.

Interior lights in a stock RRS are 5 regular incandescent bulbs so they will drain the battery in a matter of HOURS and definitely won't stay lit for a week with enough power to spare to start the engine. And lets not forget the random systems that wake up every now and then to check the car aside from what turns on when the door handles are pulled on a locked car.

Post #530579 Mon Jul 17 2017 8:07pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

The lights on mine don't power down if left on, but I don't have a key either. Whistle John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #530653 Tue Jul 18 2017 4:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1