Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Spotlight wiring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black
Spotlight wiring

Hey everyone,

Just had VUB502440 lighting kit fitted to my Sport, it's great and all but I'm wondering if there is a way to wire them to the high-beam stalk ?

I'm not an auto electrician, but I'm guessing if you put a resistor and a single wire splice in, it should be all good (resistor to prevent the high beams coming on if you use the spotlight switch). Just a little unsure as to where I should take the feed from or if it's even a good idea haha 🤔

Thanks go to TS Norman for fitting them (apparently it's every bit as annoying to fit them as it looks in the instructions haha)

Post #530222 Wed Jul 12 2017 10:03pm
adameverett

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I am not a auto sparky but when I wired lights to my hi-beam on my car I just spliced into the hi beam line and ran it to a relay. The switched side of the relay was wired back to a fused ignition source (or you could use your switched source so you can still switch spots off when hi beam on )

You don't mean resistor but a diode, personally I would go the relay route that keeps the circuits isolated and can handle much larger loads on the spots. Last thing you want is the spots to malfunction or overload your hi-beam circuit and take your headlights out.

Post #530234 Thu Jul 13 2017 6:22am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Simple 4 pin relay is the easiest way to do it Thumbs Up

Post #530235 Thu Jul 13 2017 7:09am
Socast

Would you need a relay ?

Both the high beams and the new spots already have their own relays, the wires that lead to the dash are low voltage wires that tell the relay to close and power up the spots or high beams.

If you splice the positive wires in the dash from the spot and high beams then I wouldn't have thought an extra relay would be needed ?

Ideally I'll fit an additional switch next to the switch for the spotlights, so that I can enable or disable the high beam functionality of the spots (so the spot switch will still operate the spots alone and the second switch will enable or disable the spots coming on when you use your high beams). Adding the switch will be easy enough and with the diode (not resistor lol Embarassed ) fitted I'm thinking this will be a fairly easy mod to do.

Might be easier an neater to simply bridge the relays (with diode) in the fuse box, fitting a small inline switch there (tbh I will be using them with high beams most of the time but want the option of disabling the additional function). I've also got no idea where I would be able to neatly put the switch..

Post #530239 Thu Jul 13 2017 8:15am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Whistle Rolling with laughter

Do I understand it that you want your new lights to come on with both the switch and main beam?

If yes, then purchase a 5 pin relay.

If you can see the relay that has just been fitted, 2 diodes might do the trick on that. I would have to check

Post #530247 Thu Jul 13 2017 11:21am
Socast

I actually tried the lamps today, turns out they're wired by standard to only come on with the high beams. So they're either off or come on with the high beams.

Feel like a bit of a plum tbh Whistle

Post #530268 Thu Jul 13 2017 6:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1