RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > UNIROYAL RAINSPORT 3 TYRES ANY GOOD?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Deegan

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black
UNIROYAL RAINSPORT 3 TYRES ANY GOOD?

Hi everyone, new owner here of an early RRS.
I'm looking for a new set of tyres and having always had sports cars I'm a little unsure of what to go for on one of the lumps.
The car currently has hankook ventus st tyres all round and the previous owner was very complimentary about them but they are nearing the end of their life.
A good friend of mine swears by these uniroyal rainsport 3 TYRES for there apparently excellent wet grip however I'm not sure how they will be on a heavy carllvehicle such as the RRS
Do any of you have any experience with them?
Many thanks luke

Post #530115 Tue Jul 11 2017 1:31pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

You need one more post to use PM's but suggest you either contact our forum sponsor AJS 4x4 who are tyre suppliers or forum member Tyrefitter, both will give excellent advice I'm sure. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #530124 Tue Jul 11 2017 3:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d-9

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

No idea on the RRS, but I have them on my 106, the missus has got them on her mustang and a mate has got them on his octavia vrs, brilliant tyres that work really well wet or dry. Mustang is now usable in the wet, which it wasn't really on its stock pirellis.

I run grabber ATs on the sport, no complaints.

Post #530161 Tue Jul 11 2017 10:34pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Good in wet, but found not so hot on normal days and useless for anything off road, seem to use more fuel, and noisy.
That above was on 275/40/20 size tyres, soon changed these off of car. Rolling Eyes John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #530162 Tue Jul 11 2017 11:49pm
Deegan

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

Thanks for the replies guys. As it happens AJ's 4x4 isn't that far from.me so will drop them a message.
Im.not in a position to spend £200 a corner as I used to but am very aware that you get what you pay for so would never for ditch finders. Thanks again
I'll post their recommendations for 275 40 20
Incase it helps anyone else

Post #530168 Wed Jul 12 2017 2:02am
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

A good mid range tyre IMO at just over £100 is the General Grabber GT, which is good in most conditions,
Even good for light off road use. Many on here have used them and when money is short, it's a tyre you can feel confident with. Ignore it saying rim protection, I never found that using these. They are made by Continental Tyre Group.
The official "grading" shows them as not good on fuel, but I found the opposite, can be slightly noisy on concrete motorway surfaces though.
I'm sure others will have there own thoughts on this tyre. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #530178 Wed Jul 12 2017 8:03am
GodivaNige

England 

Another alternative is Avon ZX7
Lots of SUV owners give good reviews on the interweb about these British made tyres. When my Scorpions are ready to be replaced, I think I'll be giving these a go.
I had Grabbers on my previously owned Toaureg, great tyre when new but as they wore down, they became very noisy

Post #530186 Wed Jul 12 2017 9:39am
BJH1959

Portugal 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

I posted something similar a while ago and received lots of replies for which I'm grateful. In the end I opted for 4x AT Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico's and I'm very happy with them. IMHO there are so many factors to take in to account. Barrie.
2005 RRS 2.7TDV6 from 2017 -2024. Best car I ever had.
Current: 2018 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2

Post #530197 Wed Jul 12 2017 1:55pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I put two Uniroyals Rainsport 3 on the front of my RRS about 4000 miles ago and recently replaced the two rears with two more Uniroyals. I don't go heavy off road so can't speak for them there but in the rain they're excellent and I can feel no difference in the dry. Road noise hasn't changed from the old Pirellis that I can notice.
The only thing I can't speak for yet is longevity.
If you do a lot of off road then you obviously need a specific tyre for the job, but I'm not often doing 70 mph off road and so for me the choice was safest road tyre within my budget. IIRC I paid £150 per corner. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #530225 Wed Jul 12 2017 10:13pm
squizzel

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

I worked for ATS for years (they are owned partly by Michelin) Uniroyals are in my opinion the best road tyre you can get. Brilliant in the wet not bad in the dry, but due to a softer compound they do wear a bit quicker. I have General Grabber AT on my car as they are a 50 / 50 on off road, and I do go off road, they are quite good.

Post #530264 Thu Jul 13 2017 4:44pm
Eaters

I just checked and found that the front Uniroyals went on 9,500 miles ago. And the worst reading I have across either tyre is a tread depth of 5.35 mm. Most of the tyres are over 6 mm. So they've worn down about 3 mm in 9,500 miles. Therefore should be good for another 10,000 miles or so easily. Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #530347 Fri Jul 14 2017 7:50pm
ragpicker

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

I tried rainsports on my boxster about 6 months ago and loved them so much that I've now got them on 3 of my cars including the RRS.

They do wear quickly if you push on but the compound is very soft (presumably to enable great wet grip), however on the Sport they are doing just fine so far

Thumbs Up

Post #530351 Fri Jul 14 2017 8:23pm
Eaters

An update on these for anyone interested. I've now had my front Uniroyals on the car since November 2016 and the rears were fitted in June 2017. The fronts have done 16388 miles and are now showing around 4mm tread depth. The rears have done 6896 miles and are on around 6mm.

Recently I have had a few problems with steering wander (posted elsewhere on this forum) and after many trips back to the local garage for repeated 4 wheel tracking in order to try (unsuccessfully) to solve the problem, I took the RRS to my Indie. They found that, even though the tracking was bang on, the tyres seemed to be wearing at the edges. They swapped tyres front to rear and the steering is much improved. They did however say that they had seen this sort of wear with Uniroyals and Continental on RRSs and suggested a change to Pirellis next time.

I'm happy with the wear rate of the Uniroyals but have decided to try an increase in pressure on all four tyres to try and reduce edge wear - not sure if this is a good idea - so I've put 40psi all round. No change to the steering characteristics which are fine.

It might be my imagination, but since I've done this it seems I am getting slightly better mpg! Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #548650 Thu Feb 15 2018 8:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1