RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Insurance companies requiring a tracker
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

CLAMPRRS

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Insurance companies requiring a tracker

I am due to pick up my 1st Range Rover Sport tomorrow and have just sorted insurance however they are saying they require a tracker to be fitted. Is this the norm or are there a lot of companies who don't insist on this. (JUST for info they will insure but not if stolen hence the tracker)

Appreciate any advice

Post #529778 Fri Jul 07 2017 8:43pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It depends on where you live, many insurers don't require a tracker even in central London. 99.99% of the "comparison website " discounter insurers will as they want to avoid paying out at all costs and make silly conditions. Try shopping around as there are plenty out there who will not insist on one - I use Land Rover Insurance and they are happy with what is fitted to L494 as standard, but they also insured my previous 9 Range and Land Rovers and never required one, they insure my 21 year old Defender that has feeble locks and is possibly now more desirable to thieves than my RRS and don't require one on that, but I have alternative anti-theft devices for both cars 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #529781 Fri Jul 07 2017 9:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
squizzel

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

I haven't had to have one here in the west midlands. My insurance was renewed yesterday, I was told when I had this car that there wasn't much of a difference in renewal price from my D2. My D2 renewal was £295, my quote for this car was £768. I shopped around and the question was is there a tracker fitted yes / no, but I didn't have to fit one. I am now with Admiral as theirs was the cheapest at £458.

Post #529808 Sat Jul 08 2017 9:33am
GodivaNige

England 

Did you not try the forum sponsors A-plan?
My renewal earlier this year was sky high, up from £450 to over £650 with Hastings. Couldn't find anything lower than £500 from the usual suspects so tried A-plan via the 'cherished' service they offer through the forum.
£275 with a much lower excess, protected no claims and organised off road cover. No brainer.

Post #529809 Sat Jul 08 2017 9:42am
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

I have asked my insurance company (Privilege) for a quote and I am in the same position as the OP re a Cat5/6 alarm. I live in a really rural area and vehicle insurance is generally quite cheap for us. On the face of it, it appears to be the keyless entry (in)security issue. Or the more cynical among us may see it as an opportunity by the insurance companies to dip further into our pockets.
I have only recently renewed, and it is impractical to change my insurers, so when I find a nice RRS, I will have to fit one and have budgeted accordingly.

Post #529811 Sat Jul 08 2017 9:50am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

My TDV8 has a tracker. It has been a requirement for each of the insurers I've used. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #529812 Sat Jul 08 2017 9:52am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Oldandconfused wrote:
I have asked my insurance company (Privilege) for a quote and I am in the same position as the OP re a Cat5/6 alarm. I live in a really rural area and vehicle insurance is generally quite cheap for us. On the face of it, it appears to be the keyless entry (in)security issue. Or the more cynical among us may see it as an opportunity by the insurance companies to dip further into our pockets.
I have only recently renewed, and it is impractical to change my insurers, so when I find a nice RRS, I will have to fit one and have budgeted accordingly.

I too live in a really rural area (nearest neighbour half a mile away, nearest public highway a mile) and wasn't asked for a Tracker. My wife's insurance was with Churchill, and they did ask for a Tracker for her Evoque, so she went elsewhere. Halifax don't ask for Tracker and give 20% discount for customers (just savings in my case) and worked out the cheapest for my SDV8. (My SL500 has a Tracker, but annoyingly I've never been asked for one or had any discount for it!)

Post #529822 Sat Jul 08 2017 10:49am
syl

United Kingdom 

It seems to be a thing with some insurers when the value of the car is over £50k. Many will accept incontrol secure (if fitted) which is a cat 6. If an insurer wanted me to fit something I'd just add the cost to the premium for comparison purposes - it would almost certainly be cheaper to use a different insurer. The tracker won't be required once the car is several years old so you can't just ignore the cost. I went with the NfU which didn't insist one one (even though it had in control secure anyway), gave a good premium and covers a new-for-old car if written off for the first 2 years (so no need for GAP insurance). They also get very good customer feedback, you can pay monthly at no extra cost and they throw in breakdown cover (which I now have with all three major companies!)

Post #529825 Sat Jul 08 2017 11:11am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

My car was valued at its purchase price of £96,000, and still no Tracker!

Post #529835 Sat Jul 08 2017 1:49pm
Lee1977

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I insure mine through A plan site sponsor and no issue re a tracker. Current RRS MY2012 HSE Lux 3.0 SDV6 Orkney Grey
Gone Audi A6 Salon 2.ltr Black Edition Daytona Grey- disappointing needs 6 cylinders
Gone RRS MY2010 HSE 3.0 TDV6 Stornoway Grey - written off!!
Gone BMW 330d M Sport - Epic engine still missed

Post #529838 Sat Jul 08 2017 5:53pm
david007

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Vesuvius Orange

The insurance on two of my cars is actually cheaper with no tracker fitted than with one fitted.

Post #529839 Sat Jul 08 2017 5:56pm
ravingmad

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I am with Admiral, no tracker required. MY13.5 Autobiography, Santorini Black, Privacy Glass. Gone
Driving a milk float for now.

Post #529840 Sat Jul 08 2017 5:58pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

It was in a couple of car magazines that many more cars are requiring a tracker by insurance companies now that haven't before. M&S, Direct Line and this month LV have added RRS needing a tracker, as on my renewal it was a new condition, they also require a copy of the tracker agreement, to prove you are also paying for the tracking service. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #529844 Sat Jul 08 2017 8:11pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I'm with Aviva. No tracker required Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #529855 Sat Jul 08 2017 11:11pm
CLAMPRRS

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Thanks guys. I picked up my ERS yesterday and am absolutely loving it. I am off away for a fee days in the next month and only updated the insurance so I could pick the car up quickly. They said I am insured for accidents but not theft so now I am completely paranoid. It was churchill who asked for 1 by the way. I may do a bit of research to see if it is worth it. Ironically tho there is only about 3k difference between the cost of my last car CLA AMG sport and the 2nd hand RRS and it wasn't a requirement for the merc

Post #529860 Sun Jul 09 2017 8:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>