RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > AM RapidE more than just a concept?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red
AM RapidE more than just a concept?

This looks like a real rival for Tesla. May be of interest to those seeking an electric alternative.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/aston...79254[url]

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #529154 Tue Jun 27 2017 1:57pm
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Nice try, but it will be much more expensive than an already dear Tesla. It is also going to be significantly worse, as the RapidE hasn't been designed as an EV, but is a conversion of a petrol car. This gives plenty of packaging issues and dead-ends, leaving a lot of empty space under the bonnet, relatively small and unoptimized location for the battery pack etc. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #529156 Tue Jun 27 2017 3:02pm
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Under the bonnet does not look very empty in the pictures it seems to have some electrickery in there Thumbs Up

Post #529158 Tue Jun 27 2017 3:25pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

How about this one then?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-car...plus-range 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #529167 Tue Jun 27 2017 4:16pm
TheWojtek

geoffsnook wrote:
Under the bonnet does not look very empty in the pictures it seems to have some electrickery in there Thumbs Up

Yupp, it's bad packing under acres of plastic covers.
If you want to see how it is done (converting a basically petrol car into an EV), take a look under the bonnet of the VW eGolf. The constraints of the conventional design force the engineers to make a lot of bad decisions, that would be easily avoidable if the vehicle was designed from the ground up as an electric. For example the vertical orientation of the conventional engine (and the resulting layout of the engine bay) forces the electric components to be staggered one onto another, while a purely electric car has them laid out possibly flat.
The RapidE can benefit from certain AM design basics (like the transaxle layout) so there is space for two separate engines for each rear wheel, the front drive however will be a mess in terms of packaging. Look at Model S. It has been packaged so neatly, that even the D cars (with front and rear electric engines) have a nice and usable 'frunk' under the bonnet. The battery is integrated with the floorpan. It won't be that easy in a RapidE (I can, however, imagine repurposing the torque tube as the backbone holding two battery packs on each side).

Anyway - it's still a low production number (155 IIRC) concept-becoming-reality car. No doubt they will use it as a testbed for a fully-fledged electric limousine. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #529183 Tue Jun 27 2017 7:23pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

One problem the designers have though is that there are a lot of people out there who don't want to wear their eco credentials on their sleeve - they don't want a car that marks them out as being more eco-aware than their neighbours, like owning a BMWi3 and i8 immediately marks you out as they look so different. I think Hyundai, Renault, VW, Ford, Nissan and Tesla have succeeded in designing electric cars that don't stand out much from everyone else and people like that as they blend in. There will be a market for the RapidE just because it looks like an Aston Martin and not futuristic 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #529198 Tue Jun 27 2017 9:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TheWojtek

On the other hand, with the advent of the Toyota C-HR, the electric cars seem so underdesigned now... Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #529215 Wed Jun 28 2017 9:48am
warkman

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

TheWojtek wrote:
Nice try, but it will be much more expensive than an already dear Tesla. It is also going to be significantly worse, as the RapidE hasn't been designed as an EV, but is a conversion of a petrol car. This gives plenty of packaging issues and dead-ends, leaving a lot of empty space under the bonnet, relatively small and unoptimized location for the battery pack etc.

So wrong in so many areas..... Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #529242 Wed Jun 28 2017 9:10pm
warkman

TheWojtek wrote:
geoffsnook wrote:

Yupp, it's bad packing under acres of plastic covers.
If you want to see how it is done (converting a basically petrol car into an EV), take a look under the bonnet of the VW eGolf. The constraints of the conventional design force the engineers to make a lot of bad decisions, that would be easily avoidable if the vehicle was designed from the ground up as an electric. For example the vertical orientation of the conventional engine (and the resulting layout of the engine bay) forces the electric components to be staggered one onto another, while a purely electric car has them laid out possibly flat.
The RapidE can benefit from certain AM design basics (like the transaxle layout) so there is space for two separate engines for each rear wheel, the front drive however will be a mess in terms of packaging. Look at Model S. It has been packaged so neatly, that even the D cars (with front and rear electric engines) have a nice and usable 'frunk' under the bonnet. The battery is integrated with the floorpan. It won't be that easy in a RapidE (I can, however, imagine repurposing the torque tube as the backbone holding two battery packs on each side).

Anyway - it's still a low production number (155 IIRC) concept-becoming-reality car. No doubt they will use it as a testbed for a fully-fledged electric limousine.

Again, so completely wrong in your assumptions.
Not going to go into details except to say, our survey says ea-are, wrong. Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #529243 Wed Jun 28 2017 9:12pm
TheWojtek

Well, enlighten me with an actual contribution instead of presenting a pointless remark twice. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #529245 Wed Jun 28 2017 9:42pm
geoffsnook

But the pointless remark you talk about is the remarks you made so are you calling your own words pointless everyone is entitled to there own opinion and it's quite obvious that you dont like cars that are made to be petrol engine turned into an electric car of sorts so we can respect your opinion as well as every one elses Whistle

Post #529273 Thu Jun 29 2017 4:47pm
warkman

TheWojtek wrote:
Well, enlighten me with an actual contribution instead of presenting a pointless remark twice.

Lol yeh, right. I am going to publish commercially sensitive information and lose my job (yes, I work for AML in PD) just so you can have information on something you clearly have no knowledge of,
That's going to happen.

However when you post information that is clearly based upon supposition, and completely wrong whilst making digs at AML engineers, not facts I will say so. Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #529276 Thu Jun 29 2017 5:40pm
geoffsnook

Well said Thumbs Up

Post #529278 Thu Jun 29 2017 6:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1