Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Cr@p Satnav
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

DaveT33

United Kingdom 
Cr@p Satnav

So,

New to the brand. I had been having RRS envy for a while and since life has been good to me, i purchased a MY17 HSE dynamic in March this year.
I used this forum extensively for research in the lead up to the purchase and it was a huge help for options and for making sure i went into it with my eyes firmly open.

My car is black with the 22" wheels and black pack. Not everyone's taste, but it puts a smile on my face ever time i see it or drive it. It has a been a while since i have enjoyed a car this much. I might do a write up of my personal experience at a later date as i found these useful when deciding on mine.

The reason for this post - the Sat Nav is poor. To clarify -
The speed the system runs at is fine - i don't find it clunky.
I love the option to have the main dash as the Sat Nav.
The problem is that it does not seem to pick up any traffic issues, and it takes random routes.

My 2 previous cars were Audi and BMW. both cars would give me an option to re-route if it located a traffic jam. This one does not.On a recent trip where numerous cars were meeting at a central location, we were the only car to get stuck in a 6 mile jam. All other satnavs diverted people at the junction before.
Twice i have put the car into the dealer to sort this, but they tell me everything is as it should be. I have a SIM card in the unit so traffic should be enabled (although i would have thought that the satnav would not need a sim?)

The second problem is the random routes it takes. Occasionally i know the quickest route at the beginning of the journey but not the end. I set the nav at the start and it almost always tries to take me across country on the smallest roads imaginable.
If i ignore it until we get to a main road or motorway it eventually picks up the "correct" route and reduces the journey time by a significant amount.

So my questions are -
Does anyone have the same issues?
Am i missing something in the settings?
In most navs there are options for "quickest" or "shortest" routes. I cannot find this on mine. I guess it is not an option?

Any feed back appreciated.

This has turned into quite a ramble so will just write one last thing that i find weird. The dealer told me today that the dipping reversing mirrors cannot be set to your preference? Can anyone clarify if this is correct for MY17 cars?
Seems odd that on a "premium" car like this, that a 6'6" guy and a 5'0" woman have to use the same settings for the dipped mirrors.

Thanks

Dave

Post #528009 Mon Jun 12 2017 4:24pm
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

The only thing I can help you with is mention that on my 07 sport, as long as my wife used the 2nd key, the seats and mirrors adjusted to her driving position, and yes they dipped when reversing 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #528017 Mon Jun 12 2017 6:16pm
Russben

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

That sounds a bit strange and may just be a setting you have turned off. My 2010 RRS warns me of traffic or congestion ahead (on motorways and A roads) and asks if I want to divert. I'm in the shed, I'll be back in the real world in a minute.

Post #528036 Mon Jun 12 2017 10:14pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Russben wrote:
That sounds a bit strange and may just be a setting you have turned off. My 2010 RRS warns me of traffic or congestion ahead (on motorways and A roads) and asks if I want to divert.

How do you get that to work? Would they not need a sim for data connection to be able to get the update on traffic? Can it get that info via a radio signal? Admittedly I've never driven the RRS in heavy traffic, but it would be good to know if I could have this enabled.

I recently used the satnav to get to the Scottish Land Rover Show, but found it a hassle then to input local addresses - much easier talking to my mobile..."OK Google, give me directions to......". Perfect!

Dennis 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #528039 Mon Jun 12 2017 10:24pm
Russben

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Off the top of my head I can't remember how I set it up, it's over 3 years since I did it. It's in the settings somewhere though. I'll have a look tomorrow in between other jobs.

It does get a bit annoying at times with its "there is slow traffic ahead" and then offering alternative routes, especially when I am sat in said 'slow traffic'.

Mine is a 2010 model HSE and doesn't have a sim for data connection so I presume it works off the SatNav GPS & roadside traffic update signals. I'm in the shed, I'll be back in the real world in a minute.

Post #528042 Mon Jun 12 2017 10:38pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

It is called TMS and is in one of the satnav setup menus where you can turn it on/off and configure to offer alternative routes etc. I think it is enabled by default and might well be enabled on yours too but just not doing what it is supposed to do because it is cr@p as the OP suggests. In my experience of all 3 of my RRSs (MY09, MY13, MY16), it gives traffic warnings only occasionally and when it does, most of the time it is old info that is no longer valid or too late after you've already got stuck in a traffic jam.

Dennis, stick to Google, doesn't get much better than that when it comes to dynamically advising new routes and picking the quickest route to begin with. A real time-saver especially where I am. The only issue I have found with Google Maps on my phone is when you lose GPS/network reception, for example in a tunnel, it tends to disorientate. Not ideal when you have roundabouts or exits underground or straight after coming out of the tunnel as it takes a little while to resume the connection and find itself on the map. Car's satnav handles these situations slightly better but that is the ONLY +ve thing about it that I can think of. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #528047 Mon Jun 12 2017 11:05pm
DaveT33

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the responses.

As mentioned, i have been to the dealer twice and they have checked to make sure all boxes are ticked. Interestingly, on the last visit (yesterday) they told me that i needed to create a sat nav account to make traffic work properly! Sounds ridiculous to me, and i told them that. Surely a nav in an MY17 car should work straight out of the box.
I have created an account but cant see any difference.

I detest having a plug in satnav so will just have to put up with it i guess. For me it is the worst part of a great car.

Dave

Post #528058 Tue Jun 13 2017 8:40am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I was the same and resisted using my phone for a long time but in the end decided that time was far more precious to me, even though I hate the dangling charging cable. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #528059 Tue Jun 13 2017 8:45am
Gerd1986

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I resorted to Waze after giving up on the inbuilt Satnav, best Sat Nav app I have ever used. Takes me some weird and wonderful ways but every time I have ignored it I have been stuck in traffic for quite a while.

Post #528061 Tue Jun 13 2017 9:17am
StateOfPlay

United Kingdom 

I have a 2012 model and also find the satnav a bit shaky. However, saying that I did use it on a drive down to Cannes and then into Monaco, and it was useful in the tunnels as the Waze app couldn't cope driving through the hills and tunnels, but the RRS satnav was on the money.
I used to pay for the Live service from TomTom which was really useful for my job as I had to drive around London going to a different venue every day of the week, and it was nearly perfect at avoiding traffic jams. When I changed job I didn't want to renew it and found Waze to be very effective.

Post #529006 Sun Jun 25 2017 10:20pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 
Re: Cr@p Satnav

DaveT33 wrote:
So,

The reason for this post - the Sat Nav is poor. To clarify -
The speed the system runs at is fine - i don't find it clunky.
I love the option to have the main dash as the Sat Nav.
The problem is that it does not seem to pick up any traffic issues, and it takes random routes.

The second problem is the random routes it takes. Occasionally i know the quickest route at the beginning of the journey but not the end. I set the nav at the start and it almost always tries to take me across country on the smallest roads imaginable.
If i ignore it until we get to a main road or motorway it eventually picks up the "correct" route and reduces the journey time by a significant amount.

So my questions are -
Does anyone have the same issues?
Am i missing something in the settings?
In most navs there are options for "quickest" or "shortest" routes. I cannot find this on mine. I guess it is not an option?

Any feed back appreciated.

This has turned into quite a ramble so will just write one last thing that i find weird. The dealer told me today that the dipping reversing mirrors cannot be set to your preference? Can anyone clarify if this is correct for MY17 cars?
Seems odd that on a "premium" car like this, that a 6'6" guy and a 5'0" woman have to use the same settings for the dipped mirrors.

Thanks

Dave

I also have a MY17, and cannot pretend that the sat. nav. is perfect, but I have at least discovered an answer to some of your problems. When using sat. nav., you get a colour change to the road borders indicating the state of traffic. However, this doesn't show you very far in advance unless you zoom out, and also is quite difficult to see. However, if you select 'traffic' for your left hand sub-screen (instead of it showing the whole route, or remaining route) you do get traffic updates there. You can also access this by touching a green (from memory) bar across the top of this sub-screen when on a different menu choice. (A further issue is that the SIM turns off occasionally, and you have to go into the menu to turn data on again, but I haven't found a way to stop this). Mine has also 'volunteered' to re-route me so I'm not sure why yours doesn't, although it does periodically choose some funny routes. You can, of course, pick the best route of the options before you press 'go' after setting the destination. I agree that selecting a destination by either post code or address is a poor bit of software, and not as good as before, but you can, of course, use the Route Planner app. before you even get in the car. There are also glitches with this when it comes to setting the destination (it seems to get an entirely wrong location if you're not careful) but the ability to send it to the car is pretty good (again it needs the SIM to be working). I find the satellite map in the main screen extremely good, and it uses very little data. (I use a free TalkTalk SIM, which only offers 3G - all you need as the car bizarrely doesn't support 4G - and 750 Mb per month of data, and have never reached this limit, even though I have the satellite view on all the time).

Post #529032 Mon Jun 26 2017 11:50am
madridpunch

Netherlands 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

The built in sat navs in my last four cars have all been rubbish on road traffic delays and rerouting, that's an Audi, Mercedes and two Range Rovers.. I now have the TomTom App on my phone. The traffic is always right, up to the minute and gives good alternative routes. It downloads the maps, so no issue with going through tunnels and things, and it has all the speed cameras on it.

Wouldn't be without it now, much better than any built in system, cost about forty pounds I think.

Post #529756 Fri Jul 07 2017 1:17pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

I recently used the App from HERE, the Company that provides the mapping data to JLR and several other vehicle manufacturers. TheApp is called WeGO (so it's HERE WeGo). I navigated from Inverness to South West Portugal, via Bilbao/Santander in Spain and back without a hiccup. It was superb (and free) and much better than the overpriced system that JLR offer us. It just goes to show how JLR can take a perfectly good system and screw it up!

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #529758 Fri Jul 07 2017 1:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1