RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > DPF Regeneration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

gnasher

United Kingdom 
DPF Regeneration

Does anybody know the process of dpf regeneration, i.e. Does it operate on a timed cycle or simply when the filter is getting full ?.
I have not had any problems or warnings. However my driving style for the past 6 months or so has been short journeys.
I give it a quick 15 to 20 mile blast on the motorway most weeks.
My car is a my16 Autobiography.
Thanks.

Post #528650 Wed Jun 21 2017 9:39am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

There is a sensor that detects how clogged the DPF is and then forces a regeneration. I had a software update on my last car that caused the DPF sensor to burn out on a weekly basis until LR had investigated the problem........... Your regime for DPF cleaning almost complies with LR's requirements - you have to maintain the revs above a certain level not the speed. There is a warning light on the dash that will come on when you need to force a regeneration too. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #528655 Wed Jun 21 2017 9:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gnasher

United Kingdom 

Thanks Tim. When I give it a burst I engage sport mode and keep the revs above 2k for about 10 miles approx.
No warning lights so far.

Post #528660 Wed Jun 21 2017 10:08am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I don't do much city driving in my cars and the only time I have experienced a regeneration was when the sensor mentioned above burned out. I wouldn't do it unnecessarily as your fuel consumption takes a hit each time you force a regeneration. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #528663 Wed Jun 21 2017 10:12am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wilf

Well, there are two types of regeneration.

Both need the exhaust gas temp (EGT) to rise far enough that the carbon deposits in the DPF are burned and expelled as CO2.

Firstly, loading the engine (as in driving fast or up a steep hill) will naturally raise the EGT.

But if the sensor (which is simply a pressure sensor looking at differential pressure across the DPF) tells the ECU that the DPF is blocked past a certain limit, a "forced " regeneration will take place, whereby additional fuel is injected during the exhaust stroke to artificially raise the EGT. Sometimes, a little additional engine roughness will be felt while this happens, the mpg will be seen to drop, and after you park up and switch off, a "burning smell" and "pinging of exhaust" noises could be witnessed.

If anything goes awry with that, then continuous attempts by the ECU to force a regen will lead to diesel fuel getting past the piston rings and into the sump. Lots of that and you have a dead engine. Which is why you should never ignore a red warning light. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #528672 Wed Jun 21 2017 11:44am
harisson

Switzerland 

hi all

it's an old thread, but still interesting..
@wilf
is this the procedure on our L494?

Quote:
whereby additional fuel is injected during the exhaust stroke to artificially raise the EGT

so, is the regeneration done due to injection into the exhaust?
or does the motor management inject a few times into the cylinder capacity?

the injection into the exhaust is the more gentle solution.. Range Rover Sport HST D350

Post #570032 Wed Nov 28 2018 7:49pm
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

I think it’s injected into the cylinder on an exhaust stroke so that it burns whilst being forced into the exhaust raising the temperature and burning of the carbon build up. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #570040 Wed Nov 28 2018 9:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1