RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > New Autobiog or used SVR?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I'm in a similar boat looking to go from an RRS AB to whatever floats my boat. So I've looked at lots of possibilities..
Porsche Macan GTS - low depreciation, fast but not much room inside and take the Porsche badge off , looks like lots of other SUVs.
Porsche Cayenne GTS : new model due at the end of the year. Porsche Chester are looking to sell an Aug build with min 7pc discount. But even with this discount by the time it's specced to RRS AB standard it's another 9k.
SVR : I've got a M3 E93 doing 16mpg so not another guzzler! It does deter one (well me) from long journeys at this rate of consumption. Before the M3 I had a 330i convertible which I drove across Europe last year which sipped fuel even at high speed, but not this! I couldn't even get from Dartford to Chester on a tank of v powered petrol, whereas the RRS went from Maastricht to Chester on a 3/4 of a tank of derv. However, like the SVR the M3 V8 is an event. The heat emanating from the engine and exhausts over the weekend after a swift drive was something else!
I did consider the new BMW 5 series X drive 530d estate. Fast and frugal, looks good too with appropriate colours and alloys. Probably a sensible alternative.
Other than that it's either another RRS SDV6 with discount or an ultra low mileage FFRR with the SDV8. Or maybe the Conwy Landrover used SVR with a large discount could be feasible, esp if it's got new tyres. I see it's fitted with Cross Contis which are usually worn at 16k so they could have been replaced. £80k....I wonder?

Post #528503 Mon Jun 19 2017 7:34pm
BKHK

Australia 

I was in a similar frame of mind. There is only 2 of us in the house and we have recently downsized house to an inner suburb close to the city with less garage and parking.

I considered selling the M3 and my old "going to the tip and supermarket" car down to 1x nice SUV, Mrs already has her car. But I enjoy a blast and acceleration, I don't have a bus pass yet and decided I am not ready to part with the grin factor of the M3, so I started to look for a slightly nicer daily driver thinking of an X5 or a late L320 3.0 diesel. Ended up with the 5.0 L320 RRS, on its way late next week.

I get where Tim is coming from, I too thought briefly of a Tesla X or a hybrid. My taste like Tim's is varied and almost irrational when trying to explain it, but my music taste is the same so maybe it's not uncommon. Maybe we could name it as a syndrome and get compensation. ARVI (Age related vehicular indecision) syndrome. Laughing

Post #528505 Mon Jun 19 2017 9:35pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

RRSNewbie............. I nearly lost the RRS to a deer 4 weeks ago on the Rest and Be Thankful, actually there are better roads for a blast than that one. (UN)fortunately for Bambi it came off worst - silly thing bounced onto the road, must have had nail polish on its hooves as it lost its footing and slipped, was clipped by an Astra, went under a Land Rover 90 (max flat out downhill with wind assistance 50mph) diesel and then I ran it over too, closely followed by a biker who must have had lightening quick reactions as he was starting to get power on to overtake me and the 90 on the uphill and managed to swerve into the nearside and miss the flying carcass (but I bet he had skid marks inside his leathers.........) he wisely then stuck behind me until we passed the crest and were on the level bit before the downhill to Butterbridge....... I'm off-roading the RRS on the land just off to the NE of the Rest this coming Sunday.Outwith the silly season (May to September when there are way too many coaches, caravaners and oldies out for a Sunday drive at 40mph) the A82 up the west side of Loch Lomond and from Tyndrum across Rannoch Moor to Glencoe Village are my favourite roads for a blast, the A84 Callander to Tyndrum section is pretty good too but at this time of the year there are speed restrictions of 50mph all along that section to slow down the bikers and there are unmarked police speed traps and mobile speed traps on police unmarked superbikes........... I know because I sometimes have to go in my voluntary paramedic function and help scrape up the remains of some poor biker who has found out the hard way that they are not speedproof and at high speed even good leathers will not stop you getting ripped to shreds if you come off on the all weather surface sections............. Another cracker is a short run from the A82 turn off to Garelochead on the A817 over the moors to Faslane Navy Base - it was one of Clarksons roads you have to drive before you die! I think an i3 or a Zoe would run out of charge though on all of those roads!

BK - ARVI is so true - and its the same with music. Maybe an end of working life crisis point? I'm passed having a mid-life crisis and never wanted a big motorbike. I must be getting into retirement mode as I only work 6 months of the year and have done since 2005 but a huge point was passed 3 weeks ago when I sold off 30 years collection of windsurfing gear that I'm unlikely to use again and has been gathering dust in the garage loft for 4 years........... I did keep my stand up paddleboard and paddle though and my super light mountain bike, you never know when you might want some gentle excerise in your dotage Laughing 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #528506 Mon Jun 19 2017 9:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRS-Si

United Kingdom 

Poor old deer.... had a rough ending....

If you had been in one of your old TVR's the deer would have been in the passenger seat with you. Rolling with laughter

I sometimes have to go over towards Inveraray which is a nice drive if you take it easy. Looking forward to seeing what the RRS can do on and off road.

Post #528511 Mon Jun 19 2017 10:17pm
crocs

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

Well, I can vouch for the ATPC. Cut our paddocks yesterday with 17MY pulling a flail mower. ATPC is great as a low speed cruise control.

Post #528548 Tue Jun 20 2017 9:49am
Tim in Scotland

I live off a farm lane and the farmer who lives at the end of the lane has a Cayenne Diesel for Monday to Saturday farm work and a FFRR S/C for shopping and going to church. Looks really strange to see a Cayenne on ATR tyres and caked in mud driving across ploughed fields and parked up in a meadow surrounded by livestock being fed from the boot......... seems much more incongruous than it would if he used the FFRR! But I can vouch for the fact that a Cayenne really is quite a good offroad vehicle, as good as any of the recent Land Rovers, just seems very weird to see one actually going offroad whereas we take it for granted that it isn't at all weird to take a Range Rover offroad 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #528553 Tue Jun 20 2017 11:16am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Tim, I was going to suggest you try a Porsche Cayenne, but it sounds as if you have already considered one. I had a Cayenne S Platinum before I bought the RRS. It was a truly superb vehicle and was really well built. My only problem and the reason for sale was with the one and only dealer north of Edinburgh. Their service was abysmal. However, with you residing a little closer to the urban centres of Scotland, this should not bother you too much. Have you driven your neighbours vehicle at all?

As you are catching up with me on the age stakes, perhaps you would get some inspiration from this! http://www.classicshowsuk.co.uk/classic-ca...asp?id=973 Although Buckinghamshire is a long drive for a day out!!!

Have fun with your research.

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #528565 Tue Jun 20 2017 2:44pm
Tim in Scotland

Jock, my 3rd, 4th and 5th cars were an MG Metro followed by 2 MG Maestro 2.0ltrs. The 2.0lt Maestro was very underrated, I replaced the 2nd Maestro with a Rover 820 fastback (a 4 door coupe not the Coupe) but it was slightly modified with a Supercharger strapped onto the 2.0ltr Rover engine................ used to scare the living daylights out of Golf GTi's and Astra GTE's that were the hot hatches of the day and could blow them so far into the weeds that their owners used to eventually catch up to find our was under the bonnet.......... apart from some much bigger brakes the car was otherwise no different externally to a bog standard 820............. it was a hoot and much better behaved than either the MG Maestro Turbo or the Metro Turbo that had massive turbos to wind up before anything happened! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #528567 Tue Jun 20 2017 3:19pm
syl

United Kingdom 

The used SVR vs new Autobiography works out if you're paying cash, but unfortunately the monthly payments less so as the SVR residual value Land Rover allocate to it is a significantly smaller percentage (despite used ones remaining quite well priced) compared to a diesel. The rip off APR on used vehicles from Land Rover doesn't help either, but you can get under 4% if you go elsewhere.

Post #528569 Tue Jun 20 2017 3:28pm
Tim in Scotland

Syl, how does the 5.0S/C Autobiography compare on the LR Residual? I imagine that it will be like the SVR and not so good. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #528575 Tue Jun 20 2017 4:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12