RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Range Rover Sport - 2013 - Engine Seized!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Baj

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Alaska White
Range Rover Sport - 2013 - Engine Seized!!

I have a range Rover Sport 2013, bought it in 2015 when it was 21K. I drove around 14K since I bought it and recently the engine seized due to an internal failure. The cause seems to be the known issue- crankshaft failure. JLR jumped straight for a 60% cover but even a 40% cover from my end comes to £9000 which I cannot afford. Also when the issue seems to be more of an assembly or manufacturing defect, regardless of whether I have an extended warranty or not, I would expect such a prestigious popular brand like JLR to cover the full costs. I am getting nowhere, the case manager at JLR is not helpful to escalate the matter any further or to help me get an enhanced offer. Can someone please advise me to take this further in the right direction? This is my first RR but I have a jaguar already. Believed the brand so much!

Post #528282 Fri Jun 16 2017 3:04pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

A stiff letter from your solicitor maybe? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #528317 Fri Jun 16 2017 5:31pm
Hog

Netherlands 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

wow! Shocked what is the service history and what oil did you use?
they should repair it under courtesy if it's well maintained. They repaired mine with 80K on the clock RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux
RRS 3.0 TDV6 gone
LR 3 HSE V8 gone
DiscoveryII V8 Gone
Discovery 1 V8 Gone
Mustang Shelby
Alfa Guilia (classic)

Post #528323 Fri Jun 16 2017 6:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baj

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Alaska White

Thank you for your responses. Enquired with a solicitor and the cost of paying them comes around to a similar price of repairing the vehicle.
Yes full service history available and have been servicing only with authorised service centre. The shame is, it just passed its MOT 2 months prior to the incident.
Could you please help me by providing more details on how you managed to make them bear the full expenses? I don't have an extended warranty. My manufacturer's warranty expired same time last year.

Post #528325 Fri Jun 16 2017 6:45pm
Hog

Hi Baj.

It was the dealership -on my request- to contact JLR UK custom service and explained to them that my car was meticulously maintained and serviced by official LR dealers. All prove of it. It had a A inspection just 5K before the engine seized.
JLR agreed to replace it under full waranty as a matter of courtesy. They seem to have a de facto warranty policy on these engines of 100,000 miles/ 160.000 km. I have been a customer since 1995 and bought/ drove 4 new LR cars since then.
Maybe that helped, together with the dealership intervention. RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux
RRS 3.0 TDV6 gone
LR 3 HSE V8 gone
DiscoveryII V8 Gone
Discovery 1 V8 Gone
Mustang Shelby
Alfa Guilia (classic)

Post #528370 Sat Jun 17 2017 2:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Previous brand loyalty is a deciding factor in determining any goodwill contribution

I'd be looking to escalate as huh as you can go. A 4yr old engine should not be lunching itself...

Post #528390 Sat Jun 17 2017 10:34pm
Hog

Disco_Mickey,

Could you advise me on the following:

i am driving my 3.0TDV6 with DPF in Nigeria. Diesel has a high content of sulfer, which is bad for the DPF.
However they lack the technology to remove it here. There is an official LR dealer in Lagos.

The filter needs probably more regeneration than in better circumstances, but so far was working.

Untill recently, when the DPF seem to burn itself down. Smoke came from everywhere, even inside the car from under the seats (quite scary). after that the exhausts showed snow white!

Above that many DTC's came up: brakes, electonics (including fuel gauge) where down , like media, HDC, etc. Initially the car would start. but after about 20 miles it shut off (probably cause the fule gauge showed there was no fuel). The tank was almost full. It would still start but shutting off after a minute.

Another phenomenia was that there was hardly any brake pressure! But no leakage or whatsoever. Brakes are in very good condition.
I delivered it 2 days ago at the JLR dealership, and they come back to me with: Fuel gauge not working, Fuel pump not working, Speeds sendsor.
: all need to be replaced. In my opinion this looks much to simple a solution. The fuel pump might have stopped after a signal from the gauge that there was no fuel. and how about the media (radio) and the brakes?

I suspect a blocked DPF filter. However can that lead to such a disastrous amount of DTC's. or could it have lead to a electronic connection failure?

I would highly appreciate your-and some other' s- views on this, hoping that LR-CRC also read this story

Many Thanks

Hog RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux
RRS 3.0 TDV6 gone
LR 3 HSE V8 gone
DiscoveryII V8 Gone
Discovery 1 V8 Gone
Mustang Shelby
Alfa Guilia (classic)

Last edited by Hog on Wed Aug 23 2017 6:54pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #533611 Wed Aug 23 2017 5:45pm
Hog

Please ignore my spelling/typo's RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux
RRS 3.0 TDV6 gone
LR 3 HSE V8 gone
DiscoveryII V8 Gone
Discovery 1 V8 Gone
Mustang Shelby
Alfa Guilia (classic)

Post #533613 Wed Aug 23 2017 5:48pm
W55***

England 

I thought the problem had been solved on 13MY onwards, tabbed bearings?.

Post #533647 Thu Aug 24 2017 12:24am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Clearly not, and it's not an isolated case...

Post #533649 Thu Aug 24 2017 7:02am
SRE

Spain 

Lets face it never mind newish vehicles going bump, the power unit on a well maintained vehicle (regardless of age) should cover 100k miles without any major issue. In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #533656 Thu Aug 24 2017 9:03am
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

At what point does a manufacturer have to accept there is an inherent fault with their product? Warranty or no warranty it shouldn't matter if it's a coomon problem. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #533760 Fri Aug 25 2017 8:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1